No. 5 Hangar, Yeovilton (former Airframe Repair Shop) - any ground level images?

bootneck

I have a small diorama on the go and I want to build a model of the Airframe Repair Shop (ARS) at Yeoviliton Naval Air Station as a background.  This building is the one that has five raised roof sections, it can  be viewed on Google Earth.  Does anyone have any images of this building, from ground level, perhaps taken during Air Days etc?  I would be grateful if any views could be posted here, oor sent to me by pm.

Thanks.

Mike

Is that the building with four white ish lines in the roof? Has a white building extension?

Edited by bzn20

Yes, this one.  I just need to see what the walls and doors are made of and what colour;  plus if there are any windows, if so where are they located etc.

All the time that I was based there, I would have walked passed it on the way to and from work each day but never took any notice then!

ars_yeovilton_1000.jpg

Source: Google Earth

Mike

In 1992 and 93 just after that new block of admin offices went up. I had to go in to the hangars where Sea Harriers were on Jacks,2 rows down both sides , Herringbone style with the aisle down the centre. Looking at some kit for renewal/replacement.  Most of the hangars/workshops seemed to be in a cladding of a corrugated type sheet but not the bog standard corrugations. I can still picture the inside in my minds eye.There was an Eng Control overlooking the dispersals/ Airfield, next tthat was a Crewroom for G/crew waiting for the next job. I'm not 100% sure if I went in that repair shop. I was taken to the shed I mentioned via a guided tour which took me in one end out the other and in to the next ! There were quite a few Contractors from Field's Aviation there too. I didn't have any photos of any buildings just the ground Equipment I was looking at.

Just found a picture of Wildcats , learned something there never heard of them ! flying over the station a good view of your building.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2014/july/29/140729-wildcat-pride

go down a bit you'll see the Wildcat formation etc. First picture has arrows to see a collection of pics.....If you don't find it I can email the picture.

Edited by bzn20

Thanks, that's just the sort of image I'm looking for; although it is a little small being in the distance.  If anyone has any views from ground level then that would really help, especially from the other side as well.

I know the Shar hangar you are discussing as I used to sneak a look in there myself and I'm sure that Shar2 would have worked in there when not away on deployments.

There used to be a program, similar to Google Earth, where you could angle the view and get an oblique side view.  Unfortunately I think that's not available nowadays.

Mike

Just in case you don't get any shots, this is the same type of building at Crail.  http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/search/keyword/crail/event_id/915947/building_name/crail-airfield-engine-aircraft-repair-shop-crail

Bear in mind that it has been left in it's original state, from memory I think the Yeovilton one was clad in green alloy sheet.

Got pics of the inside when full of Sea Harriers, but none outside.

Not too helpful I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

I have Google Earth but I haven't found that facility to angle the view.  How can you do that?

Can't help you there I'm afraid. It's a long time since I had G/Earth it kept interfering with any computer I had it installed on. I uninstalled and re installed same problems so just use the standard Google Maps.

Edited by bzn20

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Just in case you don't get any shots, this is the same type of building at Crail.  http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/search/keyword/crail/event_id/915947/building_name/crail-airfield-engine-aircraft-repair-shop-crail

Bear in mind that it has been left in it's original state, from memory I think the Yeovilton one was clad in green alloy sheet.

Got pics of the inside when full of Sea Harriers, but none outside.

Not too helpful I'm afraid.

Hi James,

those are excellent photo's and I can deduce quite a bit of detail from them; at least to let me get the basic parts constructed.  I have the measurements for the Yeovil one:  250ft x 110ft x 25ft and can now make the walls and roof from styrene sheet.

Thanks.

Mike

• Like 1

Hi bootneck,

Bit confused are you wanting to build 5 hangar....the big one?

As far as I know it's a bit non standard ...different from any other shed I've seen and I have seen a few.

I'm in there almost everyday.

It's for Merlins now ...pm if you have any specific questions and I will have a think about it .....opsec.....loose lips sink.....and all that

Ps aircraft repair shop ....really? 

Na it's been NASU .Various AMGs and always 5 hangar.....but never an ARS sounds a bit R A F to me lol:handbag:

Edited by junglierating
definition

My memory is a bit addled nowadays and I thought No. 5 hangar was next to the ARS?  It definitely was an ARS when built and active as such postwar.  It is the one with the sawtooth roof (for want of a better description) with 5 raised roof sections; as compared to all the other hangars that have just the one apex style roof.  If you do work in that building, but cannot take photo's of the site, then would it be possible to send me a pm describing the building from the outside please?  As I mentioned, I used to walk passed the building on my way to the squadron sites that I was posted to (first was 845NAS and then 3BAS) but never thought I'd ever want to make a model of it!

I'm working from my laptop at the moment and the data about it being an ARS are on my PC.  I'll send you a pm tomorrow with the details of all the original hangars (mostly Bellman types) and the ARS.

cheers

Mike

10 hours ago, junglierating said:

Hi bootneck,

Bit confused are you wanting to build 5 hangar....the big one?

As far as I know it's a bit non standard ...different from any other shed I've seen and I have seen a few.

I'm in there almost everyday.

It's for Merlins now ...pm if you have any specific questions and I will have a think about it .....opsec.....loose lips sink.....and all that

Ps aircraft repair shop ....really? 

Na it's been NASU .Various AMGs and always 5 hangar.....but never an ARS sounds a bit R A F to me lol:handbag:

The original building type is an Airframe Repair Shop - Naval type, only built on early war build RNAS. 

Crail is the only other one extent.  Mikes sizes are correct for the type.

This is not to be confused with the RAFs Aircraft Repair Shed, which is bigger.

Many building descriptions change over time though.

PS, just flicked through the Yeovilton book, couldn't see any images of it in there either.

It's one of the few airfields I've been to where I hardly have any building pictures.

Edited by 71chally

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

The original building type is an Airframe Repair Shop - Naval type, only built on early war build RNAS. 

Crail is the only other one extent.  Mikes sizes are correct for the type.

This is not to be confused with the RAFs Aircraft Repair Shed, which is bigger.

Many building descriptions change over time though.

PS, just flicked through the Yeovilton book, couldn't see any images of it in there either.

It's one of the few airfields I've been to where I hardly have any building pictures.

Not doubting you chally its just never been known as that, it was back in 87 and before that if the old guys are to be believed NASU Naval aircraft support unit then AMG aircraft maintainence group then Sea king depth and now Merlin MU.

I guess that is the type of hangar you refer to not its job.

Not really happy to take pics bit of a security risk ...bomb threats etc.so wait till air day^_^.

Sorry for wasting peoples time

Don't know the scale you're working in but.....You can get all the corrugated sheets of varying section from the Will's/Ratio Railway layouts range, brick sheets, windows etc. HO/OO scale near enough to 1/72nd actually 1/76th and 1/87th I think it is) pretty sure they do the smaller N scale and scales above OO.

No worries on that score as I have enough plastic to build the Ark!  I've been collecting it for many years for various projects.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

To achieve what I want to do on this, I am probably going to have to do two layouts, just because of the sizes and areas involved at the airfield.  The first is planned to be to 1:144 scale and is likely to have two scratchbuilt hangars.  The second will, hopefully, take in the whole worksite area and this will have to be downscaled to 1:350 just to get it all to fit.  This all dependent on whether I can get enough information and detail as to the construction of the various buildings and their colours.  Google Earth is great for showing what the roof colours and markings are but not the side walls and doors etc.

The area in red is the area for the 1:350 scale layout and would make a layout of approx 6 feet x 4 feet.   The area in blue is the 1:144 version and would also be 6 x 4.

yeovilton_for_1-350_and_1-144_dioramas_1

• Like 1

Mike can you get street view on the ordinary Google maps instead of G. Earth?

I haven't tried so I don't know but if you can it allows side on looking, depends if there's an accepted road or track the doohdah was allowed into

By the way, how're you doing?

Unfortunately not, it is an active front-line airbase, with no through public access.  I had tried that with no success.

I am fine now, in fact this is the last week of my 12 week sabbatical after the heart op.  I've used the time, and still am, doing the research and preparation for a couple of aircraft models and two dioramas; this hangar being one of them.  I should be fit enough to be hacking and slashing cutting and filing from this week onwards as I come off the Warfarin at the weekend.  :yahoo:.

Mike

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bootneck said:

Unfortunately not, it is an active front-line airbase, with no through public access.  I had tried that with no success.

I am fine now, in fact this is the last week of my 12 week sabbatical after the heart op.  I've used the time, and still am, doing the research and preparation for a couple of aircraft models and two dioramas; this hangar being one of them.  I should be fit enough to be hacking and slashing cutting and filing from this week onwards as I come off the Warfarin at the weekend.  :yahoo:.

Mike

I've contacted the RAF Public Relations Officer in the past to get a visits to RAF camps. "I used to be there, is it possible to have a look round waffle,waffle"etc. kind of thing. Works every time.

Don't think you'd have problem for a second.

Yep, but first I need to identify where the MAOT sign is and what it looks like.  Ours was just a little sign on the door!

For those who are not familiar:  MAOT = Mobile Air Operations Team.

Mike