Black Magic - the first of five DH 88 Comets

On 17/04/2017 at 10:17 AM, Basilisk said:

And what an attractive looking plane it is.

Hear, hear!! Looking very good Peter.

(haven't forgotten my promise to post pictures of th Akatombo Works version - will soon)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

Hope work is progressing on this in the background there?

In the meantime, here is - belatedly - the images I promised of the 1/48 Akatombo Works kit of the same subject.

This doesn't claim to be a comprehensive photo review (not least because I'm worried about loosing bits from the bag). Instead it gives a sense of what you're in for.

First, the box:

image_zpsg0ttie1e.jpeg

... which contains a lot:

image_zpssjoku0mu.jpeg

One A3 page (top left), all in Japanese, which amounts to instructions, by way of period drawings with numbered labelling corresponding to sprue diagrams; Another A3 page (top right), again in Japanese showing markings (in black & white); decals; glossy print of photos which I believe were taken by the kit maker on one of his holidays to the UK; a CD / DVD which looks to have more of the same; ... and a bag of resin bits.

Here being the bag of bits & main contents (there's a bunch of tiny bits together with lots of flash floating around in that bag which I'm reluctant to tip out until I get underway):

image_zpslypoyerd.jpeg

The small ziplock bag at top contains vac-formed canopy & fuselage nose cone back to the first panel joint.

Here follows a few closer shots to give a general indication of parts quality:

image_zpsz947er2v.jpeg

image_zpszzgmmtm9.jpeg

Finally, there's also this:

image_zpslq1cc2kr.jpeg

Presumably (as I don't read Japanese) a lens for the nose landing light.

So in all, my assessment was that this will take a bit of work! For that reason, & due to the newly-cast stink which came out of the box at first opening (now gone, thankfully), I have let this join the stash towards the back of the queue.

Hope that helps.

I look forward to seeing the next update on your version.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, greggles.w said:

Hi Peter,

Hope work is progressing on this in the background there?

So in all, my assessment was that this will take a bit of work! For that reason, & due to the newly-cast stink which came out of the box at first opening (now gone, thankfully), I have let this join the stash towards the back of the queue.

Hope that helps.

I look forward to seeing the next update on your version.

Thanks for taking the pictures greggles. I think your assessment of the kit is spot-on! I will give it a miss as it isn't a must have as I have plenty of kits to choose from.

Yes there is some further progress with my build and I hope to get the primer on this week. But due to some 1/32 scale builds I am currently working on, the build is at a slower pace. But I still hope finishing it in the duration of the GB.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Superb progress Peter :thumbsup2: 

What a beauty :heart: !

Seeing this has made me wonder; as technology progresses and more people get 3D printers..(they're in Aldi now here), will we that really like to build move more towards resin kits?

It's such a gorgeous medium when cast as well as this. I have their Farman kit and it's just stunning, just like this one, beautiful texture and detail.

I'm also impressed by (new) Dekno and Choroszy resin kits.

Thanls for the info on talc and CA; I was going to ask exactly the same question. I didn't think it would be workable for very long, so to know it's workable for up to 15 minutes with medium CA is useful information.

Looking forward to the next instalment, as I said, what a beauty it is :)

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thank you Tony and Mick.

On 24/05/2017 at 5:47 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

What a beauty :heart: !

Yep, she is a sexy girl!

On 24/05/2017 at 5:47 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

Seeing this has made me wonder; as technology progresses and more people get 3D printers..(they're in Aldi now here), will we that really like to build move more towards resin kits?

I am sure one day we print our models and I have seen some terrific stuff from Shapeways. But currently the resolution is still lacking, but give it time it will be a great way to make parts.

Got some primer on her and it all looks rather nice.

Salazar-37.jpg

Salazar-38.jpg

Salazar-39.jpg

The primer I use is Mr. Surfacer 1000 which gives a finish as smooth as a baby bottom. :D For whatever reason, the 1000 stuff gives me smoother results than the 1200 and 1500 varieties.

Some minimal clean-up is needed here and there and I can then add the rip tapes onto the main wing, followed by another coat of Mr. Surfacer 1000.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 4

That looks superb Peter :thumbsup2: 

Is the Mr. Surfacer applied by airbrush? As you say, you've achieved  an incredibly smooth finish.

Looking close to getting colour on now :)

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

On 28/05/2017 at 10:24 PM, TonyTiger66 said:

That looks superb Peter :thumbsup2: 

Is the Mr. Surfacer applied by airbrush? As you say, you've achieved  an incredibly smooth finish.

Looking close to getting colour on now :)

All best regards

TonyT

Thanks Tony. Yes, I applied the Mr. Surfacer by airbrush. It is a bit tricky to airbrush as it has a tendency to result in a kind of fairy floss.:( But if it is thinned correctly with leveling thinner, it works very well. I thin it with around 80% thinner to 20% primer. So a bottle will last a long time :D

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I decided to have a go and finish this model, so all my current other builds are now on hold until this is done.

I did got a bit further. Cleaned up some blemishes which came to light after the application of the primer and added a second primer coat, follow by the HGW rib tape.

Salazar-41.jpg

This was a rather fiddly and lengthy process.

Salazar-40.jpg

I am not convinced if it was a good decision to go that way as the rib tape does look a bit overscale. Hopefully a final coat of primer will blend it in a bit and it will then look better.

Also had a go at the propeller assembly.

Salazar-42.jpg

I made a simple jig to assist in gluing the blades to the spinner. Would had been nice if SBS provided a resin jig for the task.

Hopefully the model will be ready for painting after the weekend.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 4

Looking good!

On 07/07/2017 at 9:25 PM, Basilisk said:

ot convinced if it was a good decision to go that way as the rib tape does look a bit overscale. Hopefully a final coat of primer will blend it in a bit

I had similar reservations with Archers rivets, but you're right: a coat of primer removes the colour contrast - which draws attention to them - & settles them in.  A black top coat will no doubt help too!

Looking forward to seeing this through.

• Like 1

Well, how did the rib tape look under a cote of Mr Surfacer 1000?

Salazar-47.jpg

Salazar-48.jpg

I still think it looks a bit over scale, but as a whole I think it will pass and looks better than the trough SBS had there. But what surprised me is that the stitching (which was black on the decal) doesn't show up at all.

After implementing the fabric change, I decided to add some parts which the kit has missing.

Salazar-44.jpg

Left the Mk.1 version, right Mk.2 as the first effort was a bit too large.

And here in place.

Salazar-45.jpg

Salazar-46.jpg

Looks so much better with the counter weight in place :D

The cockpit is now finished too with the harness in place.

Salazar-43.jpg

And here a picture of the whole aircraft.

Salazar-49.jpg

All small parts are primed and the canopy has a coat of future.

Salazar-50.jpg

So with a bit of luck I may be able to get the paint on, add the decals and finish her off ... :unsure:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

Just gorgeous Peter. Every time I look at this one I get all..... :heart: 

I think greggles is right, the rib tape will become even more subtle under the black top coats. 

The cockpits are just superb, the detailing really shows.

I really have been inspired by this to buy this kit; I just can't resist. I don't think I can achieve this level of detail, but just to have one on the shelf will be good. Mrs. T would love it too.

Great stuff; good luck with the top coat and finishing off. Thanks for giving it a push for the gallery, but don't rush it if you're stuck for time, it's too nice.

:bye: 

TonyT