Tamiya paint and AK worn effects

lifeofbrian

I tried for the second time today to do chipping using this combination with little or no luck. I have done successful chipping before using hairspray and Vallejo paints. Has anyone else had this problem with Tamiya paints and the hairspray technique. I know the Vallejo paints are known for peeling anyway, so they're perfect for chipping, although they can take a little more off than you want sometimes.

Funny that as Tamiya and Gunze are considered the 2 of the best to use over hairspray/chipping fluids. What did you thin your Tamiya with? I always use IPA with a little water to thin mine when chipping etc. I've found when thinned like that I get better results than when I use my Mr Color thinners.

You may have applied your paint to thickly over the hairspray, thin coats are the way to go.

• Like 1

I always use Tamiya to thin, I am doing some testing on a scrap sheet of styrene, the paint that I though was wrong was a much lighter coat and I did manage to scratch that off, but only with a tooth pick, it wouldn't budge with a brush, maybe that's just the Worn Effects. I'll try again with hairspray. Cheers.

46 minutes ago, tank152 said:

Funny that as Tamiya and Gunze are considered the 2 of the best to use over hairspray/chipping fluids. What did you thin your Tamiya with? I always use IPA with a little water to thin mine when chipping etc. I've found when thinned like that I get better results than when I use my Mr Color thinners.

You may have applied your paint to thickly over the hairspray, thin coats are the way to go.

Maybe a daft question,  but are you using a gloss or matt paint? You'll struggle with a gloss.

Another reason you're having trouble is that maybe you're not applying enough worn effects?

Matt paints and I put three coats of WE on. Cheers.

33 minutes ago, tank152 said:

Maybe a daft question,  but are you using a gloss or matt paint? You'll struggle with a gloss.

Another reason you're having trouble is that maybe you're not applying enough worn effects?

7 minutes ago, lifeofbrian said:

Matt paints and I put three coats of WE on. Cheers.

Sounds good. 

Try misting your paint on and not applying it to wet and maybe adding a drop of water to your paint.