1/72 AMT/ERTL XB-70 Valkyrie

Need I say more?

So far this is a declaration of intentions rather than actual beginning of the build, I have another two projects that are barely started and have higher priority.

PICT1118.jpgPICT1119.jpgPICT1120.jpgPICT1121.jpg

I found a vacform marvel inside Valkyrie's box - Prop&Jet MiG E-8 - another kit that qualifies, maybe I will give it a try if time permits

• Like 11

I have the same whitepainted build stalled as well, but Valkirye kit is engineered and moulded far better. In fact the kit is quite simple, it's the size that makes it challenging

7 minutes ago, Pin said:

I have the same whitepainted build stalled as well, but Valkirye kit is engineered and moulded far better. In fact the kit is quite simple, it's the size that makes it challenging

Thought it might be given my experience with AMT/Esci kits, though engineering isn't my problem its the white paint itself 

9 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Thought it might be given my experience with AMT/Esci kits, though engineering isn't my problem its the white paint itself 

Go to Halfords and get some Appliance White. It's the only way to go unless you camo it like I did.

Looking forward to this. A stunning aircraft. Absolutely huge.

Some good film footage of this on that 'Tube' place.

Nice choice Pin :thumbsup2: 

TonyT

Just now, PhantomBigStu said:

I did, and not had much luck, either its my technique, spraying in too cold weather or perhaps both 

Stand the tin in warm water for a while, and don't spray in too cold or damp conditions. Light coats, and let them dry between coats. Less is more.

she happens to be one of my all time favourite aircraft designs, she is just stunning!!!

If it wasn't for her size she'd be on the list of must builds!

So I guess I'll just have to sit back and watch you very jealously build her!!! :popcorn:

The more I think of it the more I want to build AV-2

The obvious question is the dihedral - where to cut the wing? I have not found any clear indication of where the "cutting line" should be - does anyone possess the knowledge? 

I also want to depict the aircraft on the ground but with wingtips 30 degrees down - I have a photo of AV-1 being on maintenance in such configuration

1 hour ago, Pin said:

The more I think of it the more I want to build AV-2

The obvious question is the dihedral - where to cut the wing? I have not found any clear indication of where the "cutting line" should be - does anyone possess the knowledge? 

I also want to depict the aircraft on the ground but with wingtips 30 degrees down - I have a photo of AV-1 being on maintenance in such configuration

Yes, yes , yes - do it! You know you want to. This is exactly what I want to do with one of my two kits. Frankly I was about to cut one this weekend just to see how it could be done, but I am happy to leave this honor to you :-)

René

2 hours ago, Pin said:

Rechecked - it is actually AV-2 photo - even better

arrr no!

the cut should be along the line marked with the 42 (in the lower part of the drawing) or at the "T" cross section if it is shown on that drawing. In all the photo's of her on the hinge is painted black, both aircraft had the same wing. This from wait I can gather was done to help aid identifying wing tip positions in flight (though I could be wrong).

XB-70 wing  about half way down.

XB-70 photos  there are a few in here showing her in flight with the wing tips right down.

XB-70 drawing

• Like 1

:wall: yeah I read something about that a bit later! my mistake.

But bugga if I can find any good photos of what you're after either....but I don't know if you've seen these and if they are of any help?

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?126745-XB-70-No2-Info-Sought it mentions that there was a wedge added to the wing root to give her the 5deg. So I reckon Rene's markups would be pretty much on the mark. It's strange that there are so few drawing showing this feature seeing as it sounded like it was to be on future models?

I'll now go back and side in the corner for the rest of the day! :shutup: 

An article (in Russian) about inaccuracies and challenges of the kit.

If you don't read the language just look at the pics, the legend is

Red arrow - error, wrong shape, dimentions or placement 

Yellow arrow - wong panel line

Green array - missing part or decal element

Blue arrow - moulding problem

Pink arrow - assembly instruction error

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/2124-obzor-Italeri-1-72-North-American-XB-70A-Valkyrie---chast-2.html

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pin said:

An article (in Russian) about inaccuracies and challenges of the kit.

If you don't read the language just look at the pics, the legend is

Or use Google translate - makes some fun reading.

Looks like a fascinating build coming up Pin.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk