Matchbox HS (Folland) Gnat T1

Folland Gnat T1 XP533 4FTS, RAF Valley, 1970.  The RAF's advanced trainer throughout most of the 60s and 70s and, of course, made famous by the Red Arrows.

I know the new Airfix kit is way superior but I am committed to using up my stash.  So this is the Matchbox kit.  The only change I made was to use a pin for the pitot and a blob of white glue for the nose light.   Masking the paint scheme was a bit challenging and I made my own decals for the serials, ejection triangles and the fin badge of No. 4 Flying Training School.

[IMG_20170304_070630367.jpg

IMG_20170304_070403084.jpg

IMG_20170304_070442343.jpg

IMG_20170304_070458735.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

David

• Like 18

I love it!

You got me at Matchbox :D

Great version and nice paint .......home grown decals well what can I say!

Well done

Only one thing....in the day I always put my awesome clear stands the other way around on the base.....was it just the centre of gravity on this one dictating terms??? :winkgrin:

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Winenut said:

Only one thing....in the day I always put my awesome clear stands the other way around on the base.....was it just the centre of gravity on this one dictating terms??? :winkgrin:

Thanks, Bruce.

You had me laugh out loud about the stand.  :D

I have no clue which is the proper orientation of the base for this or Airfix stands.  Since my earliest modelling days I put the 'prongs' facing forward.  My logic was that way you could read the word 'Airfix' that used to be moulded on their stands, and see the 'M' shape of Matchbox, from the front of the aircraft but I see many, if not most people, place them the other way around.   Not that as many people seem to build 'in flight' these days!

David

• Like 2