Artist's oils and final top coat

J.D.

Hi all,

I have just finished doing some streaking (paint, not naked) with artist's oils and I still have more to do. I want to do some final weathering with pencils, pastels, etc.

The question is how long do you need to wait before applying a top coat? The coat I have been paining over is gloss. The terpenoid thinner I have been using has dulled a lot of it but I am not finished yet and need to apply a final dull/matte coat.

Edited by J.D.
heading

Hi pal,

I have found that the final clear coat whether it be satin or matt can undo alot of the hard work put in with oils (streaking etc) by making them disappear. 

So I put the final coat on after the panel line wash. Then do streaking fading and pigments ontop of that and leave them. Good quality oils and thinners shouldn't leave any greasiness or tide marks that woukd need another coat to clean up the finish. 

I know it can undo pastel weathering but I'm going to wait until I do the final dull coat before I do that.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the paint I used. It came from a proper art supply shop.

I guess the real question is how long they usually take to dry. The vast majority of it is turpenoid anyway, so I imagine it won't be that long.

I'm just seeing what everyone elses experience is 'cause I don't have any.

As long as you don't go mad applying your matt/satin coat you won't lose your effects, it's when you apply a thick coat of either that happens. 

Personally I apply a semi gloss and weather over that rather than a full gloss.

As you have noticed your weathering will knock back the shine a fair bit so afterwards only a mist coat of your final finish will be required to complete the job. Afterwards as you say, any pigments. 

As for the drying time of your oils at the very least 3 days, it really depends how much you have used. To be on the safe side I generally leave mine a week, especially if I've used oils to fade all the paint work.

There's no right or wrong way when it comes to weathering, try all what people suggest and decide a way that suits yourself.

If you're just starting off I'd recommend investing in one of the TankArt books by Michael Rinaldi as they feature great step by step pictures, as the title suggests they are a Armour book but the same methods can be used on any models. 

Failing that I've just bought the ABT502 book on using oils for modelling and although it isn't as in depth as the TankArt books it is still a great book.

Okay, that clear it up pretty well.

I was going to wait a week and I think that is what I'll do anyway.

It'll be that long before I get another chance to do anything.

Cheers. :yes: