F-15A Eagle, 36th TFW, Bitburg AB

Tidy work there Pete. I'd say a light blow over with the lighter colour to fade in the darker grey a little would give a good effect.

Thanks guys.

I got a bit more painted. The copper around the canopy was done with some Gunze metallizer. The exhausts were done with Vallejo and Modelmaster paints on the outside, and Tamiya white with a drop of buff on the inside. I also painted various grills and the intake folding bits. Almost ready for decals now.

P4225485_zps2o4zhxsl.jpg

• Like 9

Well, I started with the decals, and this has been interesting. As I posted a while ago, I got a Microscale sheet with all the stencils for this build. But after a putting some decals on, and checking with all the pics of early Bitburg Eagles that I gathered, it turns out the Hasegawa decals and placement guide is actually a lot more accurate. So now I'm using the Hasegawa decal guide, and a mix of the kit decals and the Microscale ones.

The vertical tail isn't glued on yet.

P4285486_zpsstq27r4o.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks guys! Quite happy with it so far.

On 1-5-2017 at 3:48 AM, SoftScience said:

Are the Hasegawa decals working okay?

They are, given they are the typical Hasegawa decals. They are a bit thick, and some are a bit fragile, but at least they are more to scale than the Microscale ones, and the locating intructions are better. One downside is that they are a bit too visible for the scale, imo, especially the black ones. I like the Microscale ones better when it comes to that. The major downside to the Microscale ones is the size of some of them. For example, the tailcode and serial decals are about 12 to 13% too big. I find that quite a lot. And they claim they got their refferences straight from a USAF Technical Order. Very strange...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally done with the decals. As you can see, I had some trouble with some of the decals or the setting solution reacting with the Gunze paint on the left wing. I gloss coated the model after I had noticed that, and the rest went on fine, mostly.

P5135487_zpsjo6dyubo.jpg

Now it's time for a light wash and maybe a few oil streaks here and there.

• Like 10

I'm away from home for a week, staying at a relative's house. I was planning to finish the Eagle  here, so I brought a bunch of modelling supplies. But I forgot to bring the Eagle itself... :mental: I'll pick it up from home tomorrow.

I did bring some of those Hasegawa accessory sets, as I wanted to try to create a little diorama. So far I have been working on the Chevy Step Van and a fire extuingisher. I'll add a toolbox too, and some crew.

DSC_0413_zpsdwyxnvol.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good!  I love the F-15 and will build one.  Wish the RAF had bought them.  May do a 92 Cobra what if. 

I love the way you got the grey camouflage on the top. Looks spot on to me!

Given the panel van is an eligible subject in itself for this GB it makes for a great addition to an overall diorama with your F-15 :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, At Sea said:

Good book!

I hope so, I've just started. But I have read some of his other books, and saw the BBC series with Alec Guinness, so I do know what to expect.

Anyway, the Eagle is finished now. Some pics below. I will post in the RFI thread once I have finished work on the crew and vehicles next to it.

DSC_0431_zpsrrn8992p.jpg

DSC_0429_zpsuyznspwy.jpg

• Like 8