F-15A Eagle, 36th TFW, Bitburg AB

Really like how it has turned out pete,good job ,I'm going to do the f15 gb in month or two with an academy 1/48 E or  a great wall 1/48 B, and this scheme is at the top of the tree if it'll fit with the type

Glynn

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2017 at 11:02 PM, Creepy Pete said:

I got some good work done this weekend.

First, I sprayed some black over the masked off canopy and the rear fuselage. Then I brushed some Future like product over the rear, and once this was dry, some Vallejo metal color aluminium. This was then masked off:

P4165480_zps5wzqregl.jpg

I then painted the darker grey of the main paint scheme first, using Gunze paint, and masked this off using worms of white tack and some tape:

P4175481_zpskjrgcd20.jpg

After this, the lighter grey was added, and the masking removed:

P4175482_zpsiwbd1sk2.jpg

The glossy paint makes the contrast between the two colours a bit noticeable. Maybe I will try to blend them in a bit using a very thin coat of a mix of both shades. I'll give that some thought. But first, I'm going to paint the exhaust bits in various shades of metal.

Im building a Lakenheath C Model in the F15 GB - can I ask what Gunze numbers you used? I have some Mr Paint, but will do some testers first to see what looks right.

Well, not the ones that I used, as they are for the earlier Ghost scheme. All Lakenheath, and any other post ca. 1992 F-15A/B/C/D in the USAF wear the Mod Eagle scheme consisting of FS 36251 and 36176. You can see the difference between them in the pic below. I'm not sure if Gunze has good matches for these. I see Hasegawa suggests mixes in one of their later F-15 boxings for the Mod Eagle scheme. I once built one in these colours, using Xtracolor X132 for the 36251 and ModelMaster 2036 for the 36176.

Edit, I see that MR Paint has these two colours, MRP 094 and 093. Do you have these two? I'd love to hear what you think of them.

img219_zpsurqprmqs.jpg

Edited by Creepy Pete
french fries
  • Like 2

Pity you were unable to finish the whole scene but the Eagle looks grand on its own :goodjob:

Interesting to see the difference between the two schemes there. Something I wasn't aware of prior to seeing this photo.

On 6/11/2017 at 9:21 PM, Creepy Pete said:

Well, not the ones that I used, as they are for the earlier Ghost scheme. All Lakenheath, and any other post ca. 1992 F-15A/B/C/D in the USAF wear the Mod Eagle scheme consisting of FS 36251 and 36176. You can see the difference between them in the pic below. I'm not sure if Gunze has good matches for these. I see Hasegawa suggests mixes in one of their later F-15 boxings for the Mod Eagle scheme. I once built one in these colours, using Xtracolor X132 for the 36251 and ModelMaster 2036 for the 36176.

Edit, I see that MR Paint has these two colours, MRP 094 and 093. Do you have these two? I'd love to hear what you think of them.

img219_zpsurqprmqs.jpg

Both Vallejo and Lifecolor have the Mod Eagle colors. I've used the latter and they look the part

• Like 1