Porsche 917k Fujimi monza 71'

Thanks guys.

19 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Just played catch up.

That's come along nicely, well done.

I fell in love with the 917 when I saw it

at the cinema in 'Le Mans'.

I watch the lemans film on YouTube not long ago. It was pretty good for a old film I liked how they used actual footage from the race in it. 

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

That body shell looks stunning with its war paint on!

Roger

Yeah it's a lot nicer than that turquoise colour the plastic came in and unlike what I have seen from others builds of this kit the decals were actually pretty good and went down with no fuss, I have to admit my original thoughts about this kit are changing a lot the more I get into it. 

Shaun

• Like 1

Some of you can probably tell with the amount of my older stalled builds today has been a very productive day, that has something to do with the lovely weather and also as I've been up since 4.30 this morning watching qualifying for f1 (which I am also very happy with as Ferrari looks to be very close to the front this year :D

Today I have got some more clear onto the bottom half of the body so in a couple of days once I have polished it up slightly, no where near normal as it's a 70s lemans car so the paints weren't great, I can finally start pushing forward to getting this thing on its wheels. 

Speaking of wheels I have painted up the rims in a mix of tamiya x18, rubber black and a small amount of gun metal.

20170324_180331_zpswadyxygk.jpg

After getting some semi gloss clear over the rims, mainly for protection not because I wanted more shine, I put the rims in the tyres and had a go with Fujimis normal crappy tyre decals. They look ok but it took a lot of patience to get them into place as like normal Fujimi tyre decals they didn't want to leave the backing paper 

20170325_105712_zpsfm0cpnti.jpg

And finally I have started to clear coat the upper part of the body, going very slowly as not to mess up the decals now. 

20170325_133341_zpscgclkkki.jpg

20170325_133344_zpsugwskfwb.jpg

More soon  

Shaun 

• Like 7

Small amount of progress done to this recently. 

I have painted the mid floor section in German grey but with no clear coat over it. 

20170329_160523_zpsycr4e94x.jpg

And a quick pic with the engine in place and the lower suspension parts.

20170328_191154_zpsfjgcfd3x.jpg

Alot of painting is needed now so I can get other parts on. 

Shaun.

• Like 3

That came together quickly, really nice job on the paint there Shaun. :thumbsup:

What clear coat did you use, I was thinking about coating my 917's satin?

Edited by Borez

Thanks borez apart from the troubles at the start it's actually a pretty nice kit up to now (touch wood). 

At the moment I have only put zeros premixed clear over it as it's doesn't have the all out shine of the 2k or 2k diamond clear but still has a good shine. I'm not too sure where I will go with it after this as it was ment as a quick clean build so gloss is a good starting place then I can weather it down from there if needs be. 

Shaun

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't want an all out shine on mine either. I want them to look more authentic.

I watched Le Mans ( again )  the other day to try and gauge how the 917's look towards the end of a 24 hours race.

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-01%20at%2014.45.

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-01%20at%2014.53.

But then I'm thinking... H'mm, maybe not

Also in the film the car is sitting in the pits looking like the car above and then comes out 5 seconds later looking like this

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-02%20at%2013.55.

Quite remarkable really :D

Edited by Borez
  • Like 2

So a nice bit of sun and the build moves forward, I think I must have that seasonal affective disorder as I never like doing much in the cold miserable days but when there is just the slight glimmer of sun I'm all over the place. 

So the car has been clear coated on the top part of the body which will be the final coat as like I said in a previous post I don't want all out shine, somewhere in the middle of semi gloss and normal gloss is good for me. 

20170405_171330_zpsc9ofprrn.jpg

20170405_171337_zpsaqve1khg.jpg

20170405_171343_zpscd9w958t.jpg

Now moving back on to the bottom section of the car and I will start by saying that this work has been quite difficult as if you look in the picture above you will see a plaster on my hand under the glove, well this is there because I was fixing my fence yesterday and got quite frustrated and hit the post with my hand right where a screw from next door had come through by an inch or so, you can kind of guess what happened from there, I now have a hole in my hand where the screw went in down to the bone and the thread from the screw pulled out quite a nice chunk of me. But now finally to the car.

I have got the front end near enough complete. A few areas need a couple of dabs of paints just to match up the part colours 

20170405_171712_zpskmqqddyd.jpg

I'm quite happy with the brakes, alclad duraluminium is the main colour I think with the calipers and central hub painted black and silver 

20170405_171723_zps4k34slir.jpg

On to the rear end and the engine assembly is in now permanently

20170405_171736_zpskntqv9wi.jpg

All the little frame work has been super fiddly and there still lots to go. 

20170405_172044_zps1c3rxbim.jpg

The top part of the rear frame with the cooling ducts painted with the same mixture of paint I used for the fake fibreglass colour. 

20170405_172115_zpsnsmci2lx.jpg

The seats have been painted win a flat red the over coated with semi gloss clear and had the backs paint3d with the fibreglass colour.

20170405_172102_zpsnyfqkzdb.jpg

I repainted the rear wheel arches in German grey and then a light coat of alclad aqua gloss so it doesn't shine to much but isn't just a flat colour either. 

20170405_172131_zpskqi3gizk.jpg

Same has been done to the rear bulkhead.

20170405_193435_zps9iug1nmz.jpg

I may be being a little optimistic but I think I can have this fully finished within the next week if all goes well. 

More soon  

Shaun 

• Like 4

Keep them coming, It looks great.

I've found a Heller 917 on line for sale.

I'm trying to resist. Really, I am!

BTW, those film stills above, I only just

noticed that number 22 has an orange roof

and not the normal orange stripe.

Lovely work there, looking great Shaun.

It's interesting to see this build come together as I'm pretty much working with exactly the same parts right now. Just with slight modifications :) 

Edited by Borez

17 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Keep them coming, It looks great.

I've found a Heller 917 on line for sale.

I'm trying to resist. Really, I am!

BTW, those film stills above, I only just

noticed that number 22 has an orange roof

and not the normal orange stripe.

Buy it buy it buy it. 

I know the real life 22 was chassis 026 which was just run in the 1970 lemans but was then turned into the spyder after. I do know though that gunnar racing restored the original 026 a few years (20) ago to 71' spec as the number 19 car. I guess the different style of gulf stripe was just to identify the cars easier at distance, they did something similar with the LH 

tumblr_n0lu9b4zW51rfjw94o1_500_zpswzgv4e

16 hours ago, Borez said:

Lovely work there, looking great Shaun.

It's interesting to see this build come together as I'm pretty much working with exactly the same parts right now. Just with slight modifications :) 

All I keep thinking after doing the resin casting is that I should rip the fujimi style engine bits out and put a better version in but I will undoubtedly break the thin rear end bits plus I've already glued the rear hatch to the body so there would be no point wasting an engine when I won't be seen. 

Shaun 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

You're a very bad man. ^_^

I say it again. Buy it buy it buy it lol

Right so some more progress on the 917 from today and yesterday. 

The wheels are more or less finished, just have to paint the nut and maybe dirty up the tread a little as it looks way too clean even for a clean race car. Just have to give one bit of praise to fujimi also as these are the first tyre decals they have made that I can actually use and come off the backing paper on to the tyre without one half wanting to stay on the paper. 

20170407_090046_zpsd8qd6dwk.jpg

Most of the under body is now done after the exhausts went in, I forgot to put the spare wheel in when I put the top part of the frame on so a few choice words were used while trying to squeeze it in between those tiny and very fragile rods. 

20170407_114318_zps5aa5indy.jpg

Apart from a few areas that need a bit of paint just to clean up the look (mainly the area ahead of the rear wheels) the bottom half of the car is now finished. 

20170407_085950_zpsldg3ifcm.jpg

A little closer/better view of the cockpit 

20170407_090013_zpsr8yy7acd.jpg

And finally the body is now hardened up enough for the last few bits to be done before being mounted to the bottom half 

20170407_090059_zpseatnxa9w.jpg

Oh and I have painted the little roof scoop bit in gulf orange and the little front intake bit in the same blue and both bits will be clear coated later today. 

More soon 

Shaun 

Edited by shood23
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, Threadbear said:

Great progress on the most awesome Sports Racing Car ever! Nowhere as bad as you first described. Well done! 

No I think I was just in a bad mood when I started the thread lol but honestly the kit is good in places but bad in others 

Shaun 

6 hours ago, shood23 said:

I say it again. Buy it buy it buy it lol

As a compromise, ahem, I have the remains

of two Airfix 917's that I built in the seventies.

I will be using the engine top covers and fans

in the Sci fi build that I'm currently doing which

is proceeding at a glacial pace due to lack of time.

(The stash really, really does not need to get any bigger)

In the meantime, I will enjoy watching yours come together

in all it's glory and Porscheness.

(And I have le mans on hard drive so I can watch that,

any time I get the time!)

• Like 1