Frog mirage IIIE colours

speedbird

Hello peeps, just a quick question if I may? I've dug up an almost fossilised frog mirage IIIE and I quite like the look of it for some perverse reason as it's way out of my usual comfort zone . I quite fancy the French Air Force version but the colour painting guide on the back of the box has got me scratching my head. Can anyone tell me a good match for the NATO dark grey cammo? I only have access to humbrol, xtraclix and Tamiya paints. Cheers guys.

If you use any paint meant to represent dark sea grey, you're not very far from the original. Same for the green, any RAF dark green would look quite Ok, maybe not perfect (the French colour looks less olive to me) but acceptable.

Lower surfaces were painted aluminum

This website has colour calls for Humbrol paints from the Heller kit which you might find useful.Those colours for the French version are a little hard to spot but basically Hu27 & 102 for the top side colours 64 for the underside. Flick me a PM with your email address if you like & I'll scan the colour plan for the Heller kit I have, maybe slightly later than the one in the website refered to.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

On 03/03/2017 at 21:06, speedbird said:

So I'm theory I could get away with RAF dark sea grey and a dark green like humbrol 75?

Humbrol 75 is their bronze-green and far too, well, green.  You need something more olive, like, but not quite RAF dark green. I don't know if Humbrol 102 is correct 'coz I'm away from everything right now but if Heller suggested that for their Mirage, I'd go along with it.

I built a trio of the 1/48 Italeri Mirage IIIE a couple of years back and after trying a few variations of suggested matches eventually went with Humbrol 116 US Dark Green and Humbrol 27 Matt Sea Grey which seemed to do the trick for me anyway , AdlA high and low viz markings examples below.

10_zps3a60ac8d.jpg

• Like 1

Actually, the topside colours faded badly. On some pictures, the green is almost brown and the grey is very clear. So,any kind of NATO dark green and NATO blueish grey  could suit. The biggest challenge is to match the underside color wich is labelled as metallic grey, aka something in the between of...grey and metal. 

4 hours ago, speedbird said:

I've just looked at my last text and I have no idea what O'Leary is but I meant Klear 🤔 The finish seems very close to a meteor T7 in a museum not far from newark😊

the that's most likely High Speed Silver, ie Aluminium paint.

some ideas here

HTH