A NOSTALGIC TRIBUTE TO FROG MODEL KITS

2 hours ago, adey m said:

Looks like the Gladiator pilot is in for some fun ......................

Yes, but it makes you think Remus had the He115 in mind - a bit too big for the all blister packs!

• 4 weeks later...

Ladies and Gentlemen 

This is a shameless plug for the Group Build below that hasn't yet reached the required number of participants to be included in the 2019 Group Build Poll

Please can I ask that you support this by joining the list of participants ( we need 30 ) which will provide a great excuse to build an old FROG favourite from many years ago.

If it follows in the footsteps of the recent Matchbox GB and the current Classic Airfix GB it will be brilliant.

Many thanks Pat

• Like 3

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 19:52, JOCKNEY said:

Ladies and Gentlemen 

This is a shameless plug for the Group Build below that hasn't yet reached the required number of participants to be included in the 2019 Group Build Poll

Please can I ask that you support this by joining the list of participants ( we need 30 ) which will provide a great excuse to build an old FROG favourite from many years ago.

If it follows in the footsteps of the recent Matchbox GB and the current Classic Airfix GB it will be brilliant.

Many thanks Pat

Plug duly noted ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2018 at 9:52 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Collect the "stray souls of the Frog / NOVO model builder" 😁  for the next GB by placing an advertisement in this topic:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4453&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=5020

😉

Basically, if you do not get a chance to get a quorum for GB here .... you can always challenge Britmodeller v.s. Scalemodels  of a tournament!

The rules of tournaments on the Rock are simple enough! By a certain period of time, a certain number of photographs of the FROG / NOVO model should be sent to the referee's e-mail, which are then published in special topics of the two forums. Models are estimated on a ten-point scale, photo models anonymously. After the voting ends, the results are summarized and the final table is published. An important point is that the readiness of your model can be any, but it should never be previously published on the Internet! In case of violation of this rule, the model is withdrawn from voting and goes to the support category!

Do not declare your participation, call your model, you just need to send in a timely manner a photo of the finished model! All!

They already conducted anonymous tournaments "Scalemodels v.s. Swedes" and 

"Scalemodels v.s.

French", why not make a tournament "FROG/NOVO Scalemodels" v.s

"FROG/NOVO

Britmodeller" if you do not have any volunteers to participate in GB?

😉

For now, enjoy the folk creativity of users Scalemodels.ru !

The inscription on the cup of tea reads "Intergalactic association FROG / NOVO".😁😁😁

1534839181_IMG_20180821_110300.jpg

How do we know, 🤔maybe "somewhere in the far-away galaxy" (tm)😁 is now aliens

building FROG model's  teleported from some Britain model-shop in 1976?

😉😁😁

Resource photo cup of tea:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1500126_1534839181_IMG_20180821_110300.jpg.html

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Collect the "stray souls of the Frog / NOVO model builder" 😁  for the next GB by placing an advertisement in this topic:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4453&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=5020

😉

Basically, if you do not get a chance to get a quorum for GB here .... you can always challenge Britmodeller v.s. Scalemodels  of a tournament!

The rules of tournaments on the Rock are simple enough! By a certain period of time, a certain number of photographs of the FROG / NOVO model should be sent to the referee's e-mail, which are then published in special topics of the two forums. Models are estimated on a ten-point scale, photo models anonymously. After the voting ends, the results are summarized and the final table is published. An important point is that the readiness of your model can be any, but it should never be previously published on the Internet! In case of violation of this rule, the model is withdrawn from voting and goes to the support category!

Do not declare your participation, call your model, you just need to send in a timely manner a photo of the finished model! All!

They already conducted anonymous tournaments "Scalemodels v.s. Swedes" and 

"Scalemodels v.s.

French", why not make a tournament "FROG/NOVO Scalemodels" v.s

"FROG/NOVO

Britmodeller" if you do not have any volunteers to participate in GB?

😉

For now, enjoy the folk creativity of users Scalemodels.ru !

The inscription on the cup of tea reads "Intergalactic association FROG / NOVO".😁😁😁

1534839181_IMG_20180821_110300.jpg

How do we know, 🤔maybe "somewhere in the far-away galaxy" (tm)😁 is now aliens

building FROG model's  teleported from some Britain model-shop in 1976?

😉😁😁

Resource photo cup of tea:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1500126_1534839181_IMG_20180821_110300.jpg.html

B.R.

Serge

Hi Serge

Love the cup, how do I buy one ?

Great news, the FROG GB has been approved and the dates are 1st June 2019 to 22nd September 2019.

Can you collect some more people to join in you will all be very welcome

Cheers Pat

PS I do like the look of the Barracuda 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Love the cup, how do I buy one ?

It's handmaid, I don't know how do You buy one. You need to ask a question to the forum user who posted this photo in the topic on the Scalemodels.ru.

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Can you collect some more people to join in you will all be very welcome

I do not know, users topic about FROG/NOVO on the Scalemodels.ru  constantly and regularly read this topic on the Britmodeller.

I think if they want to join the GB, they will join.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

Some of my first attempts with plastic where FROG kits , this is a more recent build.

FROG Gloster Javelin FAW9 

freightdog nose correction 

airwaves exterior 

white metal seats 

re scribed 

airfix new tool lightning firestreaks 

Fantastic little kit , 

44070512894_35d7c11125_z.jpg86233289-3A51-40CB-B376-E2522CB10304 by steven perriss, on Flickr

42979073000_fd57bd4cd2_z.jpgE770931E-E908-4877-A26B-BFF07827DBB9 by steven perriss, on Flickr

42979074180_22b45c1a82_z.jpg39E6E3BC-428F-4991-B323-F27D471E8366 by steven perriss, on Flickr

43880294995_77ab4ffb6b_z.jpg51046699-685D-45E8-96CE-70630C019954 by steven perriss, on Flickr

Steve 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 8:58 PM, Aardvark said:

I think if they want to join the GB, they will join.

Funny, but on scalemodels.ru 

beginning from October 1, 2018

"NOVO 2 or Nostalgi"

tournament, 

http://scalemodels.ru/news/13165-turnir-NOVO-2-ili-Nostalgie.html

which the ending  23h 59min on March 31, 2019 (5 months).

Thus, there is a hypothetical opportunity to attract in GB (1st June 2019 to 22nd September 2019)

those tournament participants who for some reason will not be able to expose their model on the Scalemodels.ru!

;)

To do this, the rules of the GB should be written paragraph, according to which "In GB can participate in the model FROG/NOVO at different stages of assembly, if the author of the model FROG/NOVO

will provide photos of all stages of the assembly from startup."!

This paragraph in many variation is very common in GB on scalemodels.ru

As examples  see paragraph 2.3.& 3.2.

from  GB "Submarines"

http://scalemodels.ru/news/13156-anons-konkursa-Group-Build--podvodnye-lodki.html

on Scalemodels.ru.

What does Brithmodeller need?

🤔

I think that the more we see the well-assembled FROG / NOVO models, the better it will be both for popularizing both FROG / NOVO and modeling as a whole, and where we will see these models on Britmodeller or on the Scalemodels, the issue is also important, but secondary, because that the Internet is still common for the whole world!

;):)

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

On 02/03/2017 at 22:36, Don149 said:

Adey , I predate you . During the war years I built quite a few of the Frog wood kits where you

just got band sawn blanks of the wings , fuselage and tailplane at their maximum thickness ,

a plan and a basic transfer sheet ( not decals ).

The other makes , that time were Airyda and Workraft . It was only after the war that we

started to see Frog Penguin plastics ,but at eight to ten bob each they had to be saved up for.

I was told they were introduced pre war but I`m not sure of that. At least we got to paint them

in real dope , the problem was it came in glass tubes about three inches long with a cork in either

end ( remember inches ?), it didn`t have a long shelf life . The strange thing about Penguin kits

was Frog only had one size in prop blades , they were okay on Spitfires and Mosquito`s but

didn`t look right on kites like P47s and 51s .They all had retracting undercarts though ,

but rather weak .The only thing I have left from those days is the instruction sheet for the Spit 12 .

They got me started on plastics and at nearly 82 I`m still building them , but in 1/32nd now .

The development of the industry from then to now is incredible .

Im so sorry I did not met you earlier, since I would have loved to add your memories to my Penguin book. Like how all Penguins had the same props (and pilot's seats, etc.), just to spare their expenses in designing and moulding new parts. From other modellers that shared their memories, I also noticed that the Penguins were not available in the same way the bagged Airfix kits could be found.

• Like 1

Would love to add some photos of my Penguin models - after all, what is FROG without a Penguin ;-). I have a reasonable amount of spare parts lying around in a box, which I went through recently and tried to organize. About ten Penguins can still be restored and Im planning to spend some of my long cold Dutch winter evenings on this daunted task.

The first model is one of 2 original Short Singapores, restored by the late Vagn Espensen. Now, the detailing on the wings is not plastic - it is made up of long strips of thickened paper that had to be glued in place, each one seperately. Some of the paint is starting to come off, have no idea of when this model was actually built and painted. According so to some sources, some of the initially issued models had a wooden middle wing intersection, with two adjoining acetate (end) sections. It is exactly on this middle section the paint is starting to peel - perhaps an indication that wood is underneath? No idea yet.. Although the model is crude in detailing, I am still astounded as to the detailing of both machine guns, which shows how much detailing was possible way back in 1937.

21 1-2

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

The preservation and possible restoration of the Espensen Collection is in fact one my biggest concerns and questions. Shown here are only the models that were issued pre war. Vagn did a perfect job in collecting an almost complete Penguin collection, but especially the post war models could do with a make-over, or update - how shall we call it... It would give a far better representation of the model, but it would ruin its original state. The greatest concern happens to be also the rarest model, the Short Empire - desperately in need of restoration with severe warping problems, but as yet have not dared to tackle this problem...

02 1-2

• Like 12

I love this model - the first ever plastic kit of the Me.109, in fact the B-version, with 2 prop blades. Please notice the original swastika transfer - they had no problem with that back in those days, quite in contrast to the way the symbol was removed from decal sheets in the 1970s was it? Painted according to the instruction sheet - now here it becomes difficult for present day modellers... Do I adhere to the instructions or do I paint according to my own www investigations ;-). I have enough spare parts in the aforementioned spare parts box for 2 Me.109s and think I will follow the instructions on 1 model at least - just for sake of history. Dont think I have the original transfers however....

29 1-4

• Like 11

What a fabulous and possibly unique collection.

I would suggest that only essential repairs be carried out.

They are a vision of the past, almost museum exhibits.

For your spare parts box models, I would build and paint a few using modern methods to show what can be achieved with them.

For others I think it would be fun to build them 'old style'.

• Like 2

Hi Peter, it's good to see you here.

I'm intending to have a go at restoring my Blackburn Sharks for the FROG Group Build here. It would be good to see you take part with another early years kit.

Tony.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

Hi Peter, it's good to see you here.

I'm intending to have a go at restoring my Blackburn Sharks for the FROG Group Build here. It would be good to see you take part with another early years kit.

Tony.

Sounds interesting Tony - there certainly are some very 'esoteric' in this massive collection.

• Like 1

I would certainly carry out minimal restoration of those original Penguins. They are part of history now and would be best left in their current condition to show what the early days of scale modelling was like. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:13 AM, Chillidragon said:

Harrumph!  No more curried eggs for me!

I didn't realise Frog did a Bloodhound!  Was it better than the Airfix one?  I never saw one.

The kit is clearly based on BAC drawings as I have seen drawings from that period. It is indeed 1-24 scale and the launcher is pretty close to the real thing, only missing the bit that connected the missile to the launcher electrically, which wasn't on the drawings. The missile boost fins and tail planes are also spot on, though the wings are not in profile and the missile suffers the same problem as all other Mk 1 models in that the stub wing that supports the ramjets is a constant cord along the whole ramjet, which wasn't the case on the real missile, where it tapped in to a vent about a third of the way down the length of the ramjet and a thin metal plate then ran down the centreline of the missile to the point at which the ramjet is supported at the rear by a couple of struts. The shape of the radome and forebody guidance bay is spot on and the panel lines are roughly in the right places, but various ports and vents are duplicated on both sides of the missile (which was not the case on the real thing). On both versions of Bloodhound all of the vents, ports and gauges in the missile skin were on the port side where the skin was riveted on, while the starboard side panels were held on by screws and were removable. The warhead bay lacks proximity fuze aerials (in line with wings and ramjets) and a pair of vortex generators on the top and bottom. The small ram air intake between the ramjet and the body are moulded with a blank cover on them and the ramjets are based on development engines and not the final production one (which makes sense as the intake design of the engine was classified at the time as careful measurement of it will allow you to work out how fast the missile can actually fly). The Boost motor mounts, motor nozzles and thrust yoke that attach the motors to the missile and the attach the missile to the launcher are also almost spot on as are the bits of the launcher that support the missile. The markings are based on a demo missile belonging to Bristol and do not reflect the paint scheme on a real missile.     

• Like 4

Interesting fact.

When we look at the visual effects in the movie where the planes are depicted, in the movie the planes depict either real planes, or specially built

layout or models.

Plastic model kit in movie they usually perform either as a background in the background or participate in the plot when someone builds them. 

But for the first time, I was faced with the fact that in the movie the plastic model kit depicts a real plane! 😲

And of course this model is made by FROG!🤓

Today I watched the old (1980-1989) Soviet TV series "State Border". 

(No English page on Wikipedia!):

https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Государственная_граница_(телесериал)

This is a series about the history and development of the border troops of the KGB of the USSR. At the beginning of the sixth series,

in 1946, according to the plot, western agent - ukrainian nationalists OUN-UPA were ejected from the plane into the territory of Poland for further sabotage actions against the USSR in the territory of western ukraine.

See this plane for ejection western saboteur:

Screenshot-20181201-194134.jpg

Screenshot-20181201-194237.jpg

Screenshot-20181201-194305.jpg

There can be no doubt, this is Beaufighter!

But how?

It's simple!

This TV series was filmed at the studio "Belorusfilm".

And it was in Belarus, at the Minsk Toy Factory, that FROG-NOVO Bristol Beaufighter was made! At the film studio, simply bought a FROG model in shop, made it,  and filmed it on a TV series like a western plane!

...Spielberg beats hysterically with envy!😁

Plastic model kit as real plane in movie - it's funny fact!!!

....and yeppp, its a FROG model!!!

B.R.

Serge

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.
Dear colleagues, some time ago on the site retromodels.ru we published a test version of the article about Airship R-100 in English, but now the translation work is temporarily suspended.

Now all the funds are directed to the processing of the FROG drawings - in addition to the published "Undine", "Magister" and "Wallace", we are preparing a new batch, including:

48314815_777958489220838_394817485608373

WW II Crew - project 1975, w\o catalogue number, full set?

48364671_777958482554172_801113551347174

Airfield Control Tower (F025) - page with mould only

48314229_777958392554181_877126392364400

F-86A\E "Sabre" (F302) - project 1974-1975, full set

48369759_777958375887516_778527329372812

A6M2-N "Rufe" - full set

48370051_777958385887515_844044694100272

NA "Mustang" II (F196) - photocopy, not full set

48361128_777958469220840_830419853958027

He-219 (F177) - full set

I guess it might be interesting to our British colleagues.

B.R.

Andrey

Edited by Chubakka
  • Like 5

• 5 months later...

Where is all of this topic? 🤔 Focused on making models FROG / NOVO in "FROG squad  GB"?😉😁

For re-fresh this topic! 

1. Short movie from user Scalemodels.ru

"SikikoVremia" about his Barracuda building:

2. RESULTS OF "THE NOVO 2 - Nostalgie" Tournament on Scalemodels.ru:http://scalemodels.ru/news/13930-turnir-NOVO-2---Nostalgie---itogi.html

Winners and prize winners of the tournament:

- Alexandr Pirovsky (pirovskikh),
 -Evgeni Nekrasov (SikikoVremia),
 - Anton Suslov (Barbarian.

Results in the Nominations can be found at the links:

- Single-engine propeller aircraft, without upgrade:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_78424.html

- Single-engine propeller aircraft, with upgrade:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_78415.html

- twin-engine propeller aircraft:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_78423.html

- Jet planes:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_78414.html

B.R.

Serge

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread. This question may have been asked before, am I correct in thinking Frog produced a Ryan monoplane and the Alcock and Brown Vimy? I built both of them in my youth but can't remember if they were Frog or another firm.

I'm probably wrong......its an age thing memory not what it was and all that.

Steve

• Like 2