A NOSTALGIC TRIBUTE TO FROG MODEL KITS

19 hours ago, FAAMAN said:

What about the Wyvern in the fifth colum 6th one down from the baggy Sea Fury :think:

Well spotted FAAMAN, there is obviously nothing wrong with your close-up vision either..........  or maybe everybody else has got better things to do today ......................

baggy Sea Fury ................. that could describe a Westland Wyvern .....................

cheers,  adey

That's the reaction of the creators of the site http://retromodels.ru

The creators of the site made the test page in English:

http://retromodels.ru/en/f128/

Probably the creation of other pages in English will depend on the reaction and activity of English-speaking internet fans FROG/NOVO.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

Probably the creation of other pages in English will depend on the reaction and activity of English-speaking internet fans FROG/NOVO.

B.R.

Serge

Hi Serge, I have just looked at the test page article that you have highlighted about the FROG R-100 airship and it is very informative, well illustrated, honest and in good English.

Thank you for explaining how FROG/NOVO kits are such an inspiration to many Russian modellers and for your continued interest and educational kits history.

regards

adey

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

B.R.

Serge

Hey, 

yes, that's will be a good way for more information for all the modellers.

Hope to see more in the future.

modelldoc

FROG Trail Blazers 1/500 scale VICKERS R-100 airship

FROG produced 25,000 R-100s between 1965-1970. The massive kit came complete with parts to build the Montreal mooring mast to which the airship model could be attached by a strong L-shaped piece of metal rod. A cardboard base was also included.

62359d15-3f44-4a37-b8c7-aa6fd1c755a9.jpg

For my 12th birthday my father brought me through to Scarborough where he knew of several model shops. After choosing two models for presents we then went onto the seafront to a building called the Olympia which contained amusement machines and rides. Upstairs though was a huge model town. In the far distance I could see a FROG R-100 airship attached to its mooring mast but I could not get close to have a good look. Unfortunately the Olympia burnt down in 1975 taking the model town and R-100 with it.

a6e27071-0b51-46b9-9ca7-4e70e61d6f6b.gif

The old Olympia on Scarborough seafront.......... happy memories

The R-100 was built at Howden only 40 miles from here and I have visited the remains of the airship factory and base a few times. The water tower and some buildings still remain. I remember Barnes Wallis's bungalow still standing in the 1990s but it was demolished  soon after. The foundations of one huge airship hangar and the wind shelter screens are still visible but the R-100 hangar is now under the adjoining golf course.

319bc677-bf05-46c4-b7bf-92f5d5d768fd.jpg

The vast twin construction hangar for R-100 being built at Howden

2e5d5042-e6f3-409d-b10a-73e48ee51999.jpg

Control gondola of R-100 during the airship construction at Howden. Strange to think that if you stood where that man is standing today you would be in the middle of a Golf Course.

033f4dca-8fff-4e39-9cbd-2a50c087e59e.jpg

A man working on the R-100 at Howden up a big ladder

f4f8c3d2-3e03-426b-ad5e-baf035d7f513.jpg

Dining room on the R-100

e3e2f2ea-bd81-4f2a-bdcf-8a7601719192.jpg

The observation or promenade deck.

bf79933a-184a-444b-9e32-d475d7160f01.jpg

The R-100 at Montreal

8ab94d96-ae40-4dff-b91e-663613de2213.jpg

c9a80635-1b32-4680-8c5e-0d6565b183cd.jpg

38007fbb-0bf3-4eae-ae91-320b0d72e891.jpg

7041654b-01ec-4ba7-90f5-fd499989344f.jpg

64e5d0f5-a906-4369-82e3-122da5da2a66.jpg

7830b5c7-a3c1-4e5e-baea-41cd324d77aa.jpg

740fece8-0bf1-4bbf-9bb7-9328347a0925.jpg

Some images of the model taken from the web. They are quite hard to find.

18adf84f-b52a-49fe-afe9-c998ff785766.jpg

The ex FROG R-100 kit has been produced by Russian model companies since the demise of FROG.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

That R-100 model is spectacular.   It inspired me to find some interior photos on-line.  What a way to travel.  No leg room issues in those days!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, adey m said:

Thank you for explaining how FROG/NOVO kits are such an inspiration to many Russian modellers and for your continued interest and educational kits history.

FROG / NOVO is part of our common history, like the Polar convoys and Lend-Lease during the war years. Yes, politicians will always play the Great Game trying to create an atmosphere of hatred and mistrust between ordinary people, but why should I hate a man who, like I built in childhood FROG / NOVO? Just because this want politicians? Thank you, but I do not agree with this politicians.

Dear, adey m this very  interesting fragment of memories:

Perhaps the creators of the site will want to publish it without changes on the site in the original and Russian translation. You will not mind such a publication?

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

B.w. "50 :) shadows NOVO Barracuda" from 

scalemodels:

1528790900_WP_20180612_15_57_05_Proa.jpg

Resource:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1486621_1528790900_WP_20180612_15_57_05_Proa.jpg.html

:):)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 15/06/2018 at 11:07, Aardvark said:

Dear, adey m this very  interesting fragment of memories:

Perhaps the creators of the site will want to publish it without changes on the site in the original and Russian translation. You will not mind such a publication?

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

B.w. "50 :) shadows NOVO Barracuda" from 

scalemodels:

1528790900_WP_20180612_15_57_05_Proa.jpg

Resource:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1486621_1528790900_WP_20180612_15_57_05_Proa.jpg.html

:):)

You are very welcome to Serge

Blimey, I would not like to build a jaffa orange, banana yellow or slime green Barracuda

regards,  adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 18:01, adey m said:

I think we need some more FROG models

How about some nice FROG Wyverns .....................

9c88911c-8c8c-4b54-8627-85513f3f633f.jpg

Original 1970 FROG artwork depicting a Wyvern about to be catapult launched for a Suez Canal strike mission. It wears the yellow and black recognition stripes applied to allied aircraft taking part in the campaign.

Good article on the Wyvern in action in this month's 'Britain at War'. There is a picture of a model used on the front page and I thought it had the same markings as the Frog kit - might even have been a Frog kit!

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 22:31, adey m said:

resized_de71b7ef-1f89-472f-bf2d-e20d3181

I love FROGs

You just want to dive in, don't you? Someone mentioned seeing a Sea Fury - here are the two I just had great fun in building in the BM 10th Anniversary GB - loved it!

100_2259100_2270100_2275

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

You can tell just by looking at someone's models that they had fun with them. 

Smashing pair of  Sea Furies Ventorra, love the pilot leaning out of the open cockpit, great little touch .

regards,  adey

• Thanks 1

Another splendid FROG Westland Wyvern

resized_99a15960-0308-42d2-88fb-2cd65c2e

FROG Wyvern built by Tony, one of our Bridlington and Wolds model club members, on display at Darlington Sword and Lance show in 2017.

Whip aerial is probably from one of his cats whiskers ............

Edited by adey m
  • Like 11

On 6/25/2018 at 6:50 PM, adey m said:

You can tell just by looking at someone's models that they had fun with them. 

Smashing pair of  Sea Furies Ventorra, love the pilot leaning out of the open cockpit, great little touch .

regards,  adey

Hi Adey,

I do remember that I too was leaning out of the cockpit upon landing, the first time I sat and flew in an engine plane.

I am glad nobody modeled me in that pose, as I was trying to aim at a paper bag....

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Almost  mystic story with NOVO Hurricane from scalemodels.ru.

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4453&start=4380

The user of scalemodels.ru forum recently bought his own Hurricane which he sold or traded 25-27 years ago. He recognized the model from the inscription on the box that he made with his own hand 25 or 27 years ago!

Is it not surprising that the model having made a circuit in time and space, possibly changing many owners, returned to its first owner? Of course, if the models were able to talk, maybe we would have heard an interesting story about her adventures, but things do not know how to talk.

B.R.

Serge

P.S. 

A similar feeling of surprise I experienced when I saw at my long-long ago  built 

SAAB JAS-39  from old Revell on

local model show last year which I made in 1991 (painted  with brush!) and then traded it. The model changed several owners and eventually ended up in a permanent exposition at the local model show:

20170909_142920.jpg

20170909_142941.jpg

20170909_143116.jpg

(AAM R-60 it's not my! :(

SAAB JAS-39 not used  AAM R-60!)

• Like 5

Hi all. Thought I'd chuck my tuppeth in. Being a V-Bomber nut for most of my life I had to relive my childhood by getting hold of the old classic kits of the 50's....(sadly I remember getting all these as Christmas and Birfday pressies when they were fairly new!  :clif:). 

Apols for the quality of some of the photos, they were taken quite some time ago.

Hope it's of some interest:cheers:

Melchie

Picked this catalogue up in Dorset on hols in 1966 when it was issued, it's survived many moves!..... remember staring at this page often dreaming of owning all three...luckily I didn't have to wait long......For some odd reason, the Victor is shown as a white XA938 of 10 squadron while the kit decals are for the first production aluminium and grey B1 test airframe XA917, also the Valiant has wing tanks and AAR probe fitted.   (note the price of the V's!, quite expensive back then.)

1-1.jpg

Mint Valiant, kindly given to me by a friend who was emigrating in the early eighties...

1-2.jpg

Note the 'retracting undercarriage' feature........which never really worked...many belly landings with the original model back in the early sixties!

2-_P1050875.jpg

I managed to get hold of the rarer boxing with the black 'Working Retractable Undercarriage' label applied to the boxtop, again mint with glue tube, decals and stand in wrappings and perfect order. This one courtesy of an eBay auction for the princely sum of £15! Just need the much rarer Triang boxing now to complete the set.

1-_P1050871.jpg

Victor B1, again picked up via eBay, this time costing me £30, (including shipping) from the USA. Unfortunately, Frog chose the first production B1, XA917 as the subject which was only ever a test airframe and appeared in aluminium finish, not the standard white of operational aircraft If you note, the instruction's 'painting sand Finishing' section mentions that operational Victors were white all over!

1-victor.jpg

Super simple destructions.

5-_P1050889.jpg

So I finished mine as XA928 of 10 Squadron Cottesmore. This particular kit was bought from a dealer in 1990 in semi-built condition with all the parts, but no box or stand, all for £10.  I managed to get round to rebuilding it in 1992, again survived many moves. A lot of modifying to the intakes, (mostly Milliput), accurate tailplane shape and completely new undercarriage as the kit parts are oversimplified and the wheels too big. Decals homemade. 

2-_P1050945.jpg

Happily, thanks to my good friend Rob Hayes(robvulcan) I managed to snag this built-up Vulcan for £25 again via eBay a couple of years ago, it even arrived with the stand! It's currently being completely stripped down and rebuilt, lots of changes. If the kit was being built mint from the box then I'd keep it as originally intended, warts and all, but these built-up jobs are ideal for scratch work and accurising.

3-1-_DSC_0022.jpg

P1a picked up at a local boot fair for a few quid. 

3-_P1050883.jpg

Basic instructions...just how we like 'em...

4-_P1050888.jpg

Original boxing of the DH110 but I also managed to pick up a half-finished one for a couple of notes locally which was stripped back and rebuilt.

1-_PA3100211_1.jpg

Blasted mice here at Melchett Towers, get at everything!

7-_P1050891.jpg

The rebuilt kit was finished as the menacing looking WG240, 1954 Farnborough show.

1-_P1060491.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Fantastic to see these wonderful FROG classics Melchie and to hear some of the stories behind them. I also have an unbuilt FROG Valiant which I was going to build to complete my 1/96 V-Bomber trio, but alas unlike yours mine are not FROG but the Lindberg ones.

I was intending to build my Valiant with the retracting undercarriage working but the thought off all those belly landings is putting me off ( actually I would devise a system of brass locking pins like I did with my Sea Balliol's retracting undercarriage ).

Thank you for posting all those wonderful photos, but you really must get your mice problem sorted out .............

regards  adey

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

All I have is a Victor tailplane in my spares box.

Don't ask where it came from though, I don't know!

Nice builds, Mon General.

It is amazing what one can find in one's spares box, but then when you have been building models for 52 years it isn't really surprising ( me not you Pete ........).

Talking about Victor tailplanes I have two photographs of a Victor rear fuselage empanage and tail fin sitting on the quay side in Bridlington harbour about 25 years ago after it had been dragged up in the net of a fishing trawler. The bumper tailwheel  still revolved apparently. It must have come from a Victor tanker which had its tailplane removed by a Buccaneer that it was refuelling over the North Sea in 1975. Only the Captain of the Victor was able to get out and survived.

adey

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Don't ask where it came from though, I don't know!

Nice builds, Mon General.

It will be those damn mice again  .........................

• Haha 2

I don't know, Adey, my time at the model desk is not far off that.

BTW, I was in Scarborough on Tuesday. Had chips and tea at the Oasis cafe on North bay. (Had to be done).

Delivered to North Riding hotel, Indigo Alley bar (just up the road) and the Stumble Inn (near the railway station).

wonder what happened to the rest of it?..

I have a vague idea it may have been in a box of ancient built kits & bits I got at the car boot about ten years ago.

(It will probably become part of a Sci fi scratchbuild so accuracy isn't a problem)

Thanks Adey, glad you like them. I know there are two lines of thought about hoarding/collecting or building these classic kits. Must admit I like to do both if possible and am always on the lookout for part-assembled ones to swing the hammer at. Every time I think I'll have a go at one of the nice shiny boxed kits I always end up carefully wrapping it up again and putting it back in the display cabinet, but not before pawing all over it and muttering 'my precious' in a worrying way!

Talking about Victor tailplanes I have two photographs of a Victor rear fuselage empanage and tail fin sitting on the quay side in Bridlington harbour about 25 years ago after it had been dragged up in the net of a fishing trawler. The bumper tailwheel  still revolved apparently. It must have come from a Victor tanker which had its tailplane removed by a Buccaneer that it was refuelling over the North Sea in 1975. Only the Captain of the Victor was able to get out and survived.

Now that's interesting Adey, any chance you could scan them and pm to me. I have an ever-increasing archive of Victor stuff that I've accumulated over the past 40 odd years...anything like that is fascinating.

Pete,

Sadly it's the most inaccurate part of the kit!...wonder what happened to the rest of it?..or is that too horrible to contemplate...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3