A NOSTALGIC TRIBUTE TO FROG MODEL KITS

9 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Just part of a smallish one taken from the French door! 

Are you leaving that space unoccupied so you can build on it later ...............

cheers, adey

• Haha 1

On 2/23/2018 at 11:37 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Steve, 

adey’s done a tremendous job with these two Frog kits and no doubt you will achieve similar results. If it’s the ‘Frog’ nostalgia that your after than go for it, however it you want two ‘old tool’ kits that will be much less work I’d go for the Airfix B-26 (to be re-released this March) and find yourself an Italeri B-25G box which was re-released a few years ago and comes with both glass nose and gunship nose options. The interior of both kits is far superior, the B-26 also has a neat Bomb Bay as well. 

Cheers.. Dave

A heads-up: The Italeri B-25 kits have fuselage shape & proportion issues; specifically, the fuselage is much too shallow & the nose pieces (all of them, in both versions) end up looking a bit odd from head-on. Monogram released a series of snap-together kits including a B-25C & a short-wing B-26 which are both quite good (in spite of some shortcuts & the snap features) & both 1:72. To convert that B-25C to a B-25G, I had to scrounge the gun nose out of an otherwise HORRIBLE Matchbox B-25 because, at the time, only the Monogram, Matchbox & Frog B-25's had even close to correct cross-sections there. The Monogram Snap-Tite B-26 remains the only game in town for that mark in any scale & it is actually better than their B-25, with nicely detailed P&W R-2800 engine fronts in the cowlings & a Martin top turret that actually has some interior detail (just grind the gunner's head out from behind the gun sight) & the raised clear stiffeners inside the turret where they belong (minor miracle). Of course, neither of these kits has been in a Monogram catalog for years....

Cheers, -Lars

• Like 2

Hi folk's after looking at my option's on the Blenhiem  which is now painted I decided on the box RAF scheme to keep it totaly original

it's an unusual scheme and I've never seen before  was it a true scheme or a Frog flight of fancy?.

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's after looking at my option's on the Blenhiem  which is now painted I decided on the box RAF scheme to keep it totaly original

it's an unusual scheme and I've never seen before  was it a true scheme or a Frog flight of fancy?.

which box Steve

A look at Scalemates shows type A upperwing on early boxings, which I doubt, but otherwise the scheme is real

bristol-blenheim-mk-if-fighter-no-248-sq

also in

https://boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/07-Bristol-Blenheim

Bristol%20Blenheim%207%20(14)-960.jpg?m=

HTH

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

which box Steve

It's the green boxing Troy  also Finnish and Rumanian included,scheme is as seen in the first photo with a larger but identical roundel on the upper wing's also looking at

the photo the codes appear Gray as you would expect the kit ones are white.

Edited by stevej60

On 04/03/2018 at 10:03, adey m said:

I absolutely agree with you Steve, I cannot think of any other FROG kits with rivets ..........oh yes I can , the 1950s FROG Venom single seater with rivets around its wooden front fuselage .............

maybe the mould maker was ordered to use up FROG's rivet quota for the year .............

regards, adey

Oh no, I have just discovered an outbreak of massive rivets on my FROG Me410, mainly the wings and tailplanes , should knock about 50 kph off the top speed................I hope it isn't contagious

resized_723371f3-b4d1-4bf1-aa0b-ea6e28bf

adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

You will need all the rivets you can get if you make use of these two Frog accessories!

IMG_3756.jpg

It might be worth having a word with the IPMS mob to see if we can have a Frog Whirroff this year at Telford?

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 5

The Spin A Prop is a tiny electric motor, for fitting in the nacelle or nose of your victim plane, like the ones Airfix used on their 1.24 scale Spitfire etc.

The Fly Hi is nothing more than a kid powered version of hanging your finished model from the ceiling with  fishing line. In this case you can attach your newly finished masterpiece to the Fly Hi and whirr it around your head until you smash it to bits!

Edited by TonyW
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

The Spin A Prop consisted of two small battery powered motors which were intended to be installed in a small number of existing FROG twin-engined aircraft models that had been specially modified to take them. FROG sold the F20 Motor Pack as a seperate item.

The three models that could be powered were the Ju 88, Bristol Beaufighter and the Bristol Beaufort. I had the Spin A Prop Beaufort kit. The battery was installed in the bomb bay and a large detachable panel under the fuselage allowed access to the battery. There were two plastic supporting pieces which you glued under the pilot's and gunner's floors and these would hold the battery contacts. Wires from the battery then ran to the motors in each engine nacelle.  Then you simply spun the propellers into life with the flick of a finger.

I remember CORGI or DINKY doing a diecast Spitfire about 1970 with a spin a prop motor.

adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 4

The Fly Hi idea was also tried by Revell and one wonders if there were others?

https://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=10063&searchtext=scorpion&erl=Revell-1-80-Whip-Fly-F-89D-Scorpion-H153-98

I had the Scorpion pictured here.  It was a bit of fun but emphatically not to be played with in the house.  It seemed to 'fly' a bit better once the nose was packed heavily with lead and plasticine, more stable I guess and a most satisfying experience for a ten year old.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RJP said:

The Fly Hi idea was also tried by Revell and one wonders if there were others?

https://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=10063&searchtext=scorpion&erl=Revell-1-80-Whip-Fly-F-89D-Scorpion-H153-98

I had the Scorpion pictured here.  It was a bit of fun but emphatically not to be played with in the house.  It seemed to 'fly' a bit better once the nose was packed heavily with lead and plasticine, more stable I guess and a most satisfying experience for a ten year old.

Twelve feet of control line! The knot at the plane end had better be good.

• Haha 1

Absolutely agree with you TonyW

5bbfd36f-a883-48c4-92ff-d3d030a79b74.jpg

74efcf1d-907c-445d-aae1-fa540fa8c809.jpg

resized_a117ea12-0a65-4df3-969b-9365b416

resized_c8b227a0-383d-44ab-9ea1-aba10d55

6c0a5dd0-4d8c-4a50-b555-e0f9600d3e3f.jpg

resized_3879b980-2d8b-4b3a-950a-f8e9444f

9c88911c-8c8c-4b54-8627-85513f3f633f.jpg

e7de290e-ce88-4558-ad83-df4c5e6faceb.JPG

66130886-fdab-4fca-947e-0aa323d75aaf.jpg

FROG artwork was magical. I suppose the FROG artists were not as restricted with the shape of the box front as was the case with Roy Cross the AIRFIX artist.

Thr FROG artwork seemed much more imaginative, more human and sometimes could be no holds barred in their portrayal of war.

resized_0082c1d0-4b2f-4d34-98eb-2dd79756

adey

• Like 6

Has anyone said it yet? It occurred to me that this thread has been running for just over a year! A superb testament to Frog the kit manufacturer and AdeyM's skills as an enthusiast! I first dipped into this thread about 19 days in and even then it was extensive. I got some excellent background on the Frog moulding of the He.115 (never issued in a Frog boxing) and even though I have the kit itself (Revell boxing) in the stash still to be built, I actually ended up building two Matchbox He.115's in the recent Matchbox GB - as a practice run, maybe?

To launch off on another aspect of Frog, how about the flying rubber band- powered aircraft? My Dad got me a 'Bantam' and I can remember many happy hours outside (and sore fingers) winding the prop up and launching it for a long flight. It really did take off by itself. Small rubber bands also held on the wings and they would ping off if there was a crash, lessening the impact on the wings. Repairs on the main wing were done using stretched cellotape. The main rubber bands had to be lubricated with special oil to extend their 'flying hours'.

It succumbed eventually and had to be binned but here is an image (courtesy of Worthpoint/Worthopedia) of the one I had - blue and yellow. I think I even ended up getting a replacement prop in white nylon - even harder on the fingers.

Frog Bantam

Ah, simpler times.....try doing the same with an I-phone...

Thanks again, AdeyM and all you other BM enthusiasts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, adey m said:

resized_c8b227a0-383d-44ab-9ea1-aba10d55

Thr FROG artwork seemed much more imaginative, more human and sometimes could be no holds barred in their portrayal of war.

But Soviet SB-2 on ski which bombing T-54/55 or T-62 on a FROG/NOVO box-art it's alternative reality!

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, TonyW said:

Lovely stuff!

Frog even managed to make the Gannet look almost attractive, not an easy task...

IMG_3762.jpg

57aa011b-183c-4f62-8e0c-e9d090f55b17.jpg

A FROG Gannet, simple yet definately a Gannet

117b297e-076e-4085-bf06-7d416c4da14d.jpg

The FROG Gannet can be the basis for a lovely model as here, a Carrier Onboard Delivery aircraft

c2f1f7ba-6144-4f2e-9202-04c3cf2070f0.JPG

NOVO bagged Gannet ...........  don't let those decals get anywhere near water  .......

3510509d-658e-4df9-b257-2ab78f5f833f.jpg

FROG's last packaging of the Gannet from the mid 1970s

9c4530db-0d19-4b64-851f-b613d228bed5.jpg

Revell issue of the FROG Gannet ........nice artwork

d7141988-5977-48f2-a48e-60f989ccbd05.jpg

Hasegawa release of the FROG Gannet

7612c7ec-6e74-4388-afa7-493255744c7e.jpg

My favourite Gannet artwork .............it must have been the back seater's night off ..............

adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Has anyone said it yet? It occurred to me that this thread has been running for just over a year! A superb testament to Frog the kit manufacturer and AdeyM's skills as an enthusiast! I first dipped into this thread about 19 days in and even then it was extensive. I got some excellent background on the Frog moulding of the He.115 (never issued in a Frog boxing) and even though I have the kit itself (Revell boxing) in the stash still to be built, I actually ended up building two Matchbox He.115's in the recent Matchbox GB - as a practice run, maybe?

To launch off on another aspect of Frog, how about the flying rubber band- powered aircraft? My Dad got me a 'Bantam' and I can remember many happy hours outside (and sore fingers) winding the prop up and launching it for a long flight. It really did take off by itself. Small rubber bands also held on the wings and they would ping off if there was a crash, lessening the impact on the wings. Repairs on the main wing were done using stretched cellotape. The main rubber bands had to be lubricated with special oil to extend their 'flying hours'.

It succumbed eventually and had to be binned but here is an image (courtesy of Worthpoint/Worthopedia) of the one I had - blue and yellow. I think I even ended up getting a replacement prop in white nylon - even harder on the fingers.

Frog Bantam

Ah, simpler times.....try doing the same with an I-phone...

Thanks again, AdeyM and all you other BM enthusiasts.

I got some excellent background on the Frog moulding of the He.115 (never issued in a Frog boxing) and even though I have the kit itself (Revell boxing) in the stash still to be built, I actually ended up building two Matchbox He.115's in the recent Matchbox GB - as a practice run, maybe?

Ah Ventora,  you must be a He115 enthusiast.  I am considering building my Revell FROG He115 for the FROG GB. or Ta152 or Me410 or Tupolev SB2 or maybe ...

aah decisions,  adey

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aardvark said:

But Soviet SB-2 on ski which bombing T-54/55 or T-62 on a FROG/NOVO box-art it's alternative reality!

B.R.

Serge

You are very observant Serge,  maybe the artist Carless should have signed this picture Careless  .........

But what is wrong here  ................

resized_6cf96a3b-3cdb-47f9-9ca5-e737e7e6

adey

• Like 3

And  Tamiya followed onwith a bigger scale spinning prop kit,just dug out my Raiden and she fired up first time!

25825351327_f3b21c918e_b.jpg

And I blame you lot for my recent,ongoing and future project's,

39801297925_034637437e_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, adey m said:

But what is wrong here  ................

resized_6cf96a3b-3cdb-47f9-9ca5-e737e7e6

It's was a hard question in pre-internet era, but now....

Spitfire Mk.I "KL B" X4276 crashed on 28th December 1940 after a mid-air collision with another Spitfire during a training sortie..first combat flight FW-190A from   JG 26  was July 1941! 

This box-art alternative reality too!

;):)

B.R.

Serge

• Like 5