A NOSTALGIC TRIBUTE TO FROG MODEL KITS

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Mike those models look lovely,  I had no idea they did the Venom, it looks like a very nice model too.  Mind you all three do.

Great to see.

Chris

The Venom was not around for very long - 1955 - 1962.  It was discontinued most likely because of a damaged mould.  I managed to find one in Norwich in around 1963 which I sent to a pen pal in the Philippines in exchange for a Japanese kit which was not imported to Britain.

Mike

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Michou said:

The Venom was not around for very long - 1955 - 1962.  It was discontinued most likely because of a damaged mould.  I managed to find one in Norwich in around 1963 which I sent to a pen pal in the Philippines in exchange for a Japanese kit which was not imported to Britain.

Mike

It's a shame the Venom wasn't around for long. Amy unmade ones will be at a premium in today's market.   

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I built the FROG Typhoon ( fab kit at age 10 yrs ) and the Exeter which is still

pretty good .

also it’s beyond a doubt that Frog introduced the 1/350 scale with HMS Javelin

in 1939 which was re-made in 1946 .

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

It has been a pleasure reading this thread. I recall mooching around at the LMS in Brooklyn Pretoria, aged about 9 with my bicycle propped against a lamp post and clutching my 50c pocket money. With that I could by a Frog model and glue - paint didn't actually enter the equation... pedal home in a huge hurry and build the thing in about 20 minutes. Most of them got blown up with tom thumb crackers. That would be 54 years ago but I still get models delivered by courier, costing a tad more than 50c, and cant wait to open them

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MikeRSA said:

It has been a pleasure reading this thread. I recall mooching around at the LMS in Brooklyn Pretoria, aged about 9 with my bicycle propped against a lamp post and clutching my 50c pocket money. With that I could by a Frog model and glue - paint didn't actually enter the equation... pedal home in a huge hurry and build the thing in about 20 minutes. Most of them got blown up with tom thumb crackers. That would be 54 years ago but I still get models delivered by courier, costing a tad more than 50c, and cant wait to open them

Same thing when I was a kid, except I was always conflicted between buying a kit or buying cakes at the patisserie....

The cakes were eaten only slightly faster than the kits (Airfix series 1 in plastic bags) were built.

JR

• Haha 4

Here’s my Frog Javelin. Or it may have been Novo actually, is it the same thing?

Anyway, I used the Freightdog nose and aftermarket decals to turn it into an FAW.8.

IMG-4543.jpg

IMG-4544.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1