A NOSTALGIC TRIBUTE TO FROG MODEL KITS

46 minutes ago, Stevejj said:

Just found this thread. This question may have been asked before, am I correct in thinking Frog produced a Ryan monoplane and the Alcock and Brown Vimy? I built both of them in my youth but can't remember if they were Frog or another firm.

I'm probably wrong......its an age thing memory not what it was and all that.

Steve

Check out the Frog squad GB Steve examples of both are being built.

• Like 2

Couldn't have put it better myself  !

If you have a Frog / Novo / or spawn of these,  please join the Frog Squad GB you will have a lot of fun with all the other builders and supporters of these great kits.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 3

FROG had a series called "Trailblazers" which featured important aircraft in aviation history. As well as the aircraft listed above, also included was Amy Johnson's DH60, the Bristol 138, The DH88, the Fairey Delta 2 and the Gloster E28/39.

• 1 month later...
On 09/07/2019 at 22:44, Stevejj said:

Just found this thread. This question may have been asked before, am I correct in thinking Frog produced a Ryan monoplane and the Alcock and Brown Vimy? I built both of them in my youth but can't remember if they were Frog or another firm.

I'm probably wrong......its an age thing memory not what it was and all that.

Steve

You are right...

Here are the Ryan NYP ''Spirit of St Louis'' (unfortunately not as a Trail Blazers) and the Vickers Vimy from my collection.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 09/07/2019 at 23:08, Graham Boak said:

they did indeed, as part of a series including Amy Johnson's DH60 Moth, the Bristol 138, and the Westland PV6 of the Everest flight.  Perhaps also a Bleriot - or is that my memory going?

Here are the De Havilland DH.60 G Gipsy Moth Amy Johnson, the Fokker F.VIIB-3M ''Southern Cross'' and the Westland Wallace PV-6-Prototyp (Houston-Wallace).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am still looking for the Bleriot XI

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

I recently took a walk on the Internet at the virtual museum

https://artstudio-3d.ru/www-77/mai/index.html

of the Moscow Aviation Institute

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_Aviation_Institute

and what do you think I saw there in the museum’s model collection?  Right - NOVO(FROG):

Screenshot-20191220-022409.jpg

Of course, there are models of our own production

Screenshot-20191220-024017.jpg

Screenshot-20191220-025144.jpg

Screenshot-20191220-025220.jpg

but NOVO (FROG) models in famous aviation institute are something!

B.R.

Serge

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Here's a Hotspur II, built mostly from an Airlines kit, except for a few parts from a Novo kit, a seat and  the tail skid.  markings  are painted on except for the fuselage roundel from the spares and the serial, made with a laser printer.  Nice hard silver plastic.  The Novo lit is a very poor rendition with soft plastic and utterly useless decals.  Modeled after a photo of BT551 I found on the net.  Parked next to a CG-4A in the display case, waiting for a Hamilcar.

spacer.png

Edited by jeaton01
  • Like 8

Imagine finding out thanks to this thread that your paint mule is actually a FROG/NOVO Caravelle...
It's box & other parts have gone in the mists of time, just the basic airframe sans engines. 

I did find that AviationMegastore near Schiphol currently has a set of ArkModel kits - former FROG. Some plastic fondling with a Spitfire XVI & V-1 did occur...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Lost Secret Soviet NOVO technology found in my box with scraps details!😁

NOVO F- 203 Canberra bomb bay gear part: 

20200304-154859.jpg

20200304-154937.jpg

20200304-154920.jpg

How did they do it?  

An atomic pumped laser? 😦 Attack plastic nanomolecular particles? 🤤😁UFO technology?😲😁 Voodoo magic?

Milling with Karl Marx "Capital" ?🤔🙃

No answer!!

......I think🤔 this technology lost

forever and ever!!🤗😲😭

😁

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Haha 7

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Bit off the piste, but does anyone have any idea where I can find examples of the Frog Ready to Fly aircraft, particularly the Intercepter series in foreign markings. This is a real return to childhood since when i was about 7/8 years old I really wanted one but never actually managed it. A few weeks ago I saw one on eBay and am rehooked!

Look here: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-frog-interceptor-fighter-310046059

Eddie

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Soulcharger said:

With Covid here for the duration thought it a good idea to stock up with some more Frog & Novo, don't tell the wife though  😉

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Hi,

naughty, naughty! You are not supposed to keep secrets from SWMBO... I am sure nobody else does!

Great kits you got! I have the Frog Blenheim Mk I, and I dare say that the decals are miles away from the ones made in Soviet Soyouz.

But it is still a great kit.

Have a lot of fun! If your better half catches you out, tell her I sent them to you. Your nose cannot grow any longer.

Cheers.

JR

• Haha 6

Wow, great to see you have the FROG Wellington 1C, one of the kits that FROG were working on just before their demise.

resized_6364612b-22bb-4286-80b6-c0577b50

Here is one built up which I saw at a model show.

cheers, adey

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, adey m said:

Wow, great to see you have the FROG Wellington 1C, one of the kits that FROG were working on just before their demise.

resized_6364612b-22bb-4286-80b6-c0577b50

Here is one built up which I saw at a model show.

cheers, adey

Frog Wellington  was reboxed and popular or common in Poland some 25 years ago ( by a company Intech, from Krakow) 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/intech-i1-wellington-mkic--319368

About a nostalgia to Frog - recently I restored a bit my Frog Dewoitine 520, which is 55 years with me :)

50778129658_c4ab925d02_b.jpg

Regards

J-W

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The big problem with FROG kits, is that once they get under your skin, it is awfully difficult to get rid of the need to build more...

I recently built the Morane Saulnier 406, and I just cannot wait to get cracking with another one.

This was a simple kit that gave me a lot of pleasure building.

MS 406 PHOTO 60

JR

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jean said:

I recently built the Morane Saulnier 406,

That is lovely, and very nostalgic, and no one can say that you have stuck the wheels on at a wonky angle, and lost the tail wheel ....................

regards, adey

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Contributions welcome

Any one of you who are reading this probably have an interest in FROG kits like many of us, and if any of you have some built up FROG / NOVO / Penguin models please share them with us, we would love to see them.

regards,

adey

• Like 2

Loving this thread.

I built that FROG Dewoitine D.520 in 1967, and the Morane-Saulnier M.S. 406 in 1970.  Amazing how a pleasurable memory of so long ago can be remembered to the year and even related to an approximate time by season or other coincident factor, when these days I can hardly recall what I walked into the next room for by the time I get there!

Childhood nostalgia is so envious of the relative availability of old FROG kits in the UK/EU. FROG kits are so very rarely seen in AU. Where extant here, presumably inherited from a deceased estate stash, invariably they are on eBay at utterly extortionate pricing. 

Edited by Bigglesof266
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1