A NOSTALGIC TRIBUTE TO FROG MODEL KITS

4 hours ago, Neil.C said:

No, I've never used it before but sounds good.

Unfortunately, Google translators are still not perfect. I use Google translator when writing texts on this forum, because it saves my time. But after the text is translated, I try to read it and correct it. As an example, in Russian, a "canopy" is a "lantern", naturally in the text Google interpreter everywhere puts a flashlight or instead of the "cockpit" puts the "cabin". This is a fairly simple example. In questions of slang as you understand the translator is still useless, you yourself can see how much text I had to write, only to explain the emergence of slang Ka-26, but this is only one slang name, at the same time in one of the Russian aviation forums 3 pages of aviation slang!

But in addition, in the community of modelers, many of their abbreviations have arisen, which so far do not lend themselves to Google translation, for example, the "rasshivka" (panel line) was reduced to "kroj"(cut), "klepka"(rivet) to  "klep"(riv.), etc.

Therefore, the translation of those articles into English would be desirable, but as long as it does not exist, Google can also be used as an interpreter.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Okay, all,

Google is a possibility for all they have problems. But now we have good list and a lot of information for these old and iconic kits.

Thanks for these website.

Here is my Morane, bought as a nacked plastic kit in Moscow, decades before and now it wears "acceptable" markings:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/6370398003/in/dateposted/

modelldoc

8 hours ago, Neil.C said:

No, I've never used it before but sounds good.

What do you do?

Just go to https://translate.google.com/ and follow the directions. As noted, it's not perfect, but it's a lot better than nothing.

There's also Babelfish

https://www.babelfish.com/

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Thanks 1

I think we need some more FROG models

How about some nice FROG Wyverns .....................

9c88911c-8c8c-4b54-8627-85513f3f633f.jpg

Original 1970 FROG artwork depicting a Wyvern about to be catapult launched for a Suez Canal strike mission. It wears the yellow and black recognition stripes applied to allied aircraft taking part in the campaign.

The Westland Wyvern S.4  kit was produced 1970 - 1974 and about 160,000 were produced. Try finding one now .............

007b0fd4-d046-49c3-be99-a21980a74016.jpg

Colour guide on back of the 1974 boxing.

I never had a FROG Wyvern of my own, but I have found some lovely examples built by other modellers .................

81682aa6-a4b0-49ff-abeb-c7d2d0f3a3c9.jpg

0b95558f-7856-4b91-8a72-a8d961ab6ee2.jpg

b13bd98d-51ec-41e9-b4d8-0a06c6258274.jpg

e857fe53-8ac2-40f2-a018-b4a6a069d885.jpg

7a0bbe0a-8049-4c26-a5ad-42807fa4503f.jpg

b4f89940-7501-46c9-88e7-df130afce581.jpg

The 1974 boxing.

d13c0325-79a7-4f1f-aaf0-383bb3f97398.jpg

The colour guide on the back of the original 1970 boxing. Note the tempting box illustrations of other FROG kits along the sides of the box.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 5

7a101fb1-5545-4203-8f34-a6aeff18fe60.jpg  sshlerdi gerdi verdi ......

7beb653c-7c88-4ad6-b072-a82596d12978.jpg   does anybody understand Swedish around here ...............

Edited by adey m
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, adey m said:

I think we need some more FROG models

How about some nice FROG Wyverns .....................

9c88911c-8c8c-4b54-8627-85513f3f633f.jpg

Original 1970 FROG artwork depicting a Wyvern about to be catapult launched for a Suez Canal strike mission. It wears the yellow and black recognition stripes applied to allied aircraft taking part in the campaign.

The Westland Wyvern S.4  kit was produced 1970 - 1974 and about 160,000 were produced. Try finding one now .............

Hello Adey. KingKit are showing they have one if you want to have one! £20...

Go on, you know it makes sense!

Ray

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adey m said:

Not only FROG produced.I do not know where the mold was in Soviet times, but before the collapse of the USSR in 1990-1991, this model began to be produced in Kharkov. I then bought 4 Westland Wyvern for exchange. The molding was white with a black and white Xerox copy format A4 on one side of which was a copy of the FROG instruction and on the other was a copy of the FROG box. There is no decal. But the horror and apocalypse  was canopy he was a transparent blue. Naturally, with such a color of canopy, there was not any exchange that could not be said. Luckily later, I received four clean transparent canopy and I safely exchanged these four Westland Wyvern, I do not remember what. Perhaps these blue canopy still lie somewhere in the parts. Where now there is a mold on Westland Wyvern I do not know, maybe it was not scrapped and she is still alive.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

Where now there is a mold on Westland Wyvern I do not know, maybe it was not scrapped and she is still alive.

As written here:

http://retromodels.ru/f198/

In 1995-1996, negotiations were held with the owner of the mold from Kharkov on the possibility of producing this model by TOKO. But the negotiations broke down, afterwards the press-mold probably ended up in Poland where for some time this model was made under the trade mark MasterCraft.

7 hours ago, modelldoc said:

Here is my Morane, bought as a nacked plastic kit in Moscow, decades before and now it wears "acceptable" markings:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/6370398003/in/dateposted/

Perhaps I still have a few such unbuilit Moran M.S.406.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

Here is my Westland Wyvern:

Westland Wyvern

Also bought as a "nacked" kit in the former USSR, fortunately, hannats offer years before some FROG decal sheets, so he is in his original markings.

We must recognize that the good old FROG moulds have a second life as NOVO kits and all the make modelling dynamic in the Eastern Blog.

modelldoc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, adey m said:

I'd only have to go upstairs!

Keith

• Like 2

15 hours ago, adey m said:

I never had a FROG Wyvern of my own, but I have found some lovely examples built by other modellers .................

I had one Adey. I remember it well. It was one of my early efforts. I remember mixing the paint by eye from the artwork on the back of the box. The sky looked more like a kind of Lime Green!

Those examples do look good.

I'll take better care when I get round to my Czech Master resin version, but it would also be fun to put together the old FROG one again.

Cheers

Terry

• Like 2

On 07/06/2018 at 19:12, Ray S said:

Hello Adey. KingKit are showing they have one if you want to have one! £20...

Go on, you know it makes sense!

Ray

Andersons newsagents in Whitby back in 1973 and I am admiring a FROG Wyvern for the first time, I am holding the box and looking at it from every angle and thinking that I would really like it, except that it is more expensive than the equivalent AIRFIX models just across the river in Woolworths. And then the next time I went into Andersons it was gone.

But I now have a 1/72 Trumpeter one hiding in my stash.

cheers old friend,

adey

• Like 2

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'd only have to go upstairs!

Keith

787aa5dd-f358-4375-9d69-49bc4533e179.jpg

Go on Keith, share it with us when you have built it .............................. you know you want to

adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 1:01 PM, adey m said:

The Westland Wyvern S.4  kit was produced 1970 - 1974 and about 160,000 were produced. Try finding one now

Actually, the FROG Wyvern shows up fairly frequently on ebay these days, and the price of one has also dropped substantially from where they used to be before the Trumpeter Wyvern appeared. 

On 6/7/2018 at 11:27 AM, VMA131Marine said:

Just go to https://translate.google.com/ and follow the directions. As noted, it's not perfect, but it's a lot better than nothing.

The Chrome browser has it built in - just right click anywhere on a web page and then click "Translate to English".

Gene K

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gene K said:

The Chrome browser has it built in - just right click anywhere on a web page and then click "Translate to English".

Gene K

I am aware of that, but not everyone uses Chrome and I didn't want to assume.

On 6/8/2018 at 10:31 PM, adey m said:

resized_de71b7ef-1f89-472f-bf2d-e20d3181

I love FROGs

f0680d59-b697-4875-a92e-b58ebc0c6c70.jpg

I love FROGs too

A picture of paradise.

Many memories from the dim and distant past have just came flooding back.

All those lovely old kits, the trouble is that all these collectors items were main stream when I began the long walks down the polystyrene path of enlightenment.

I've still got quite a few in the shed, not as many as this though.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Of course!

Third column from the left, first on the stack is the Javelin, eleventh kit down, trying to hide behind the bagged P-40.

Trust you to go and find the difficult one .............