css Hunley Mikromir 1/35

Hello,
I try for the first time to post some photographs of one of my models.
This is the Hunley CSS from Mikromir.
The figurines are transformations from old Italerie and ICM figures.

dscf1821.jpg

dscf1822.jpg

dscf1815.jpg

dscf1819.jpg

dscf1813.jpg

dscf1814.jpg

dsc_0012.jpg

The pontoon is made of wood, the dory is also made of wood according to a monograph of the Museum of the Navy of Paris.
Thank you for your attention.
Marc

• Like 26

Oh wow! 

I've got a bit of an early semi/submersible fetish and this really floats my boat (or submerges it). 

Great finish, you have captured the look of heavy riveted boiler plate very well. 

I need to build one of these in 1/144. 

• Like 1

However, I have to work hard to improve my figurines.
I must admit having taken a great pleasure in "doing" what did not exist, but that of working again.

• 2 weeks later...

Great job on both the submarine and the diorama, looks fantastic!

I hope you will please forgive me for one minor historical nitpick on the thread title and label, though: Hunley was never officially a commissioned unit in the Confederate Navy (i.e. Confederate States Submarine), operating initially as a private vessel under a letter of marque (possibly the only submarine privateer in history, as far as I'm aware) and later under the control of the Confederate Army with mostly the same crew, so the often-quoted "CSS Hunley" is technically incorrect...

A minor point, though! Once again, spectacular work...the scratchbuilt dory would be very impressive all on its own.

Best regards,

Jordan

Hello Jordan,

Thank you for this clarification regarding the Hunley.
If I understood correctly (excuse me but I use the Google translator, which sometimes gives strange results ..) Hunley was not part of the "official fleet" Confederate because of its private construction. That seems to me to be logical.
It is a very interesting detail and I thank you for communicating it to me.
Indeed, the first research carried out, let it appear that Bayou St John submarine, H.L Hunley submarine, Pioneer submarine are named only Confederates submarine.
Being very interested in this period and this type of vessel, I will go into more detail.
With a big thank you for your information and the kindness of your communication.
Cordially.
Marc

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello Yankee friend,
I made this submarine in memory of one of my ancestors who fought during the Civil War.
He was in the 7th company of the 3rd regiment of the European brigade of the militia of Louisiana (French guard).
I am currently working on the USS Harriet Lane (and yes old Lindberg) that I will represent under Confederate colors (1863-1864).
Then normally ... well I hesitate between CSS Alabama (Revell 1/96) USS Kearsarge and good old ironside USS Constitution.
Thank you for this hello Missouri.
Marc.

Hello Phoscar,

Enjoyed your entry. Always interesting to see maritime subjects out of the Civil War.

The detail and finish is excellent. Regards, Orion.

• Like 1

On 18/06/2018 at 15:41, Orion said:
On 18/06/2018 at 15:41, Orion said:

Hello Phoscar,

Enjoyed your entry. Always interesting to see maritime subjects out of the Civil War.

The detail and finish is excellent. Regards, Orion.

Hello Orion,

Thank you for your appreciation, it's encouraged
Especially on this Forum where there are so many wonders.
Regards
Marc.