Light gull grey fs36440 help

Gee

Hi there,

I am just about at the stage of painting a Ea6b kinetic prowler 1/48 scale, but with the vamp 2 playboys colour scheme.

It calls for light gull grey for the upper fuselage.

Tamiya x20, or model air 71:121 have been suggested.

Has anyone any advice on the closest match for this?

would appreciate any advice.

cheers

Gee

Humbrol 129 and xtracrylix 137 are also possibilities. If you already have a supply for RAF Lght Aircraft Grey you could use that as it is so close as to make no diference. Indeed, I was heard from a very reliable souce (the manufacturer!) that their LAG and LGG were one and the same formula.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I use the Hobby Colour paints - if you are on the South Coast "Waterlooville Model shop" - very top end of Commercial Road in Portsmouth shopping area has them. I got the Gull Grey, and have never looked back. [ mind you, havingseen your finished model, whatever you used seems to have been spot on]

regards

I have the Vallejo 71.121 in a paint set I just bought, but have yet to use it. It seems to be the right color though. In the past, I have used Model Master Acrylic for that color. Here is an A-4 I did in Light Gull Gray using Model Master.

image_zpsqbi1a8jb.jpeg

• 3 years later...

Just opening this post again as I am interested in the use of Tamiya spray can AS-16 for my USN 1/72 F4-J (the ‘new’ Vietnam Aces, ex Esci model).

Would this shade be ok for a Navy jet? It is listed as USAF.. but is readily available to me so hoping this is an adequate choice and not too dark!! Too light I can handle :) 

36 minutes ago, phat trev said:

Just opening this post again as I am interested in the use of Tamiya spray can AS-16 for my USN 1/72 F4-J (the ‘new’ Vietnam Aces, ex Esci model).

Would this shade be ok for a Navy jet? It is listed as USAF.. but is readily available to me so hoping this is an adequate choice and not too dark!! Too light I can handle :) 

I don't have a sample of AS-16 to test and confirm the actual color, but Tamiya clearly intends for it to match FS36622 light gray ("camouflage gray" in Testors parlance).  This is the very light gray color - often mistaken for white - used on the undersides of the USAF Southeast Asia (Vietnam era) camouflage scheme.

Flat Light Gull Gray is FS36440*, the warm light gray used over white on U.S. Navy types from the late 50s to the end of the Cold War. 36440 is significantly darker than FS36622, although both colors are similar hues (warm, with an almost brown cast in certain light). Though the colors themselves are not accurate matches due to monitor differences, this comparison gives you an idea of the magnitude of difference between FS36440 and FS36622:

Colorserver FS36622 :: FS36440

Even if you're purposely using lighter colors than the FS595 standards for "scale effect," a Phantom painted FS36622 will still appear too light (IMHO).  If you're using all Tamiya AS sprays, this would be further exacerbated by the fact Tamiya's Insignia White AS-20 is actually a very light gray (darker than the intended FS 17875, which is a slightly "off" white).

Bottom line, if you need a spray can match for FS36440 I would recommend Model Master (get it while you still can) or your best match for British Standard Light Aircraft Grey as a close equivalent.

*I've used the FS number for matte Light Gull Gray (36440) in this response. In reality, gray over white Phantoms wore gloss Light Gull Gray FS16440 (the first digit of the FS number denotes the finish). For practical modeling purposes, the matte and gloss versions of LGG are the same color, with differing gloss or matte finishes. From a modeling standpoint the only difference would be whether you need any additional clear coats for decaling and/or final preferred finish. Technically there are some very subtle differences in hue between 36440 and 16440, and the standard for the color itself is reported by some sources to have changed over time, but all that is extraneous to your question.

• Like 1