March SAM

Jon Bryon

35 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

Am I the only one completely bemused by the cover of March 2017's SAM, or am I being really dense? 1/32 SH Yak-3?

Jon

Nope I wondered too. Mix up? article pulled at last minute?

'tiz verily a puzzle sirrah

Jonners

42 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Don't understand why you are bemused, it's a nice kit.

Cheers

Dennis

Er, how could I know this from the magazine?

25 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

Nope I wondered too. Mix up? article pulled at last minute?

'tiz verily a puzzle sirrah

Jonners

At least it's not just me...I thought I was going mad :)

Jon

12 hours ago, Veltro said:

Pages 13 & 14.

A ha! So it is. Apologies to SAM; it is indeed there. I have renewed my subscription...and it turns out I am going mad.

Jon

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

A ha! So it is. Apologies to SAM; it is indeed there. I have renewed my subscription...and it turns out I am going mad.

Jon

No problems Jon, and glad to have been of help ;)

• 1 month later...

I was reading a great article on early 109s, then nothing,never had that happen, ever, and I've thousands of magazine's.

Shame, as this is a good magazine now, some good reading and photos.

Yet, even with the Brilliant Air fix magazine, there's room for a really good mag.

£8, Good made up kits, articles, and maybe a free decals of the side views, odd racing car, and armour, I think it would sell well, one the big frustrations, is looking at a Great side view, and no decals 😎 😊

• 1 month later...

Received my newsagency copy today down in Australia. Poorly laid out and the eight extra pages had a large crease running through the bottom of the back page to the top of the front page. The crease of the rear page covering the flying saucer review can be laid out flat and the printing does not line up as the page is out of synch and if this magazine  is trying to push subscriptions by adding extra content, I feel the printing quality is complete rubbish and to be honest a complete wasted effort on the part of SAM Publications. And also included with this eight page section the printing is out of register and some of the images are muddy to look up.

I am not happy with the poorly printed issue included with Volume 39, Issue 01 ( March 2017 ) that is supposed to make me subscribe to this magazine as it seems to be haphazardly chucked together with no pride to prove itself as a good quality publication !

On 5/15/2017 at 9:51 AM, Mick4350 said:

Received my newsagency copy today down in Australia. Poorly laid out and the eight extra pages had a large crease running through the bottom of the back page to the top of the front page. The crease of the rear page covering the flying saucer review can be laid out flat and the printing does not line up as the page is out of synch and if this magazine  is trying to push subscriptions by adding extra content, I feel the printing quality is complete rubbish and to be honest a complete wasted effort on the part of SAM Publications. And also included with this eight page section the printing is out of register and some of the images are muddy to look up.

I am not happy with the poorly printed issue included with Volume 39, Issue 01 ( March 2017 ) that is supposed to make me subscribe to this magazine as it seems to be haphazardly chucked together with no pride to prove itself as a good quality publication !

Apologies if I have misunderstood but on the premise that newsagents in Australia might operate roughly in the same way as those in the UK your complaint seems to be that you parted with money to either purchase a magazine over the counter or have it delivered to your home from a nearby store and either you picked up or they handed you/delivered to you a substandard example - surely a matter to be taken up with the vendor and have him either replace it from stock or have it replaced on your behalf by his distributor.      Misprints can happen in any print run and I have never yet experienced a newsagent who will not happily replace such a magazine or newspaper.

Also for the sake of accuracy Scale Aircraft Modelling (currently in its 39th. Volume) is printed by Guideline and not by SAM Publications who are in fact the publishers of Scale Aviation Modeller International (currently in Volume 23) and Model Aircraft (currently in Volume 16) again apologies if this clarification detracts from your polemic.

Edited by Des
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Des said:

Apologies if I have misunderstood but on the premise that newsagents in Australia might operate roughly in the same way as those in the UK your complaint seems to be that you parted with money to either purchase a magazine over the counter or have it delivered to your home from a nearby store and either you picked up or they handed you/delivered to you a substandard example - surely a matter to be taken up with the vendor and have him either replace it from stock or have it replaced on your behalf by his distributor.      Misprints can happen in any print run and I have never yet experienced a newsagent who will not happily replace such a magazine or newspaper.

Also for the sake of accuracy Scale Aircraft Modelling (currently in its 39th. Volume) is printed by Guideline and not by SAM Publications who are in fact the publishers of Scale Aviation Modeller International (currently in Volume 23) and Model Aircraft (currently in Volume 16) again apologies if this clarification detracts from your polemic.

Yes, my mistake, it is from Guideline Publications. My apologies to SAM Publications in inferring their magazines are at fault of the misprint as I made a bad call in identifying them in this instance.  I have a standing order with my local newsagency to get this magazine every month and I don't usually check the magazine before I purchase it for printing flaws until I get home afterwards as this is the first time I've come across a copy so badly damaged in its production. I would be quite sure if I were to take it back for exchange that the newsagency would place my damaged copy back on the shelf for resale and not send it back to the local distribution network at Gordon & Gotch.

I'll try to take it back tomorrow and see what happens !

Took it back to exchange it and the newsagent was completely agreeable and exchanged it and they said that they would send the faulty issue back to the local distributor.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:23 PM, Mick4350 said:

Took it back to exchange it and the newsagent was completely agreeable and exchanged it and they said that they would send the faulty issue back to the local distributor.

In the newsagent today and they put the badly printed returned issue back on the shelf for resale.

• Like 1

Par for the course in the UK as well.

You would think it would make sense for at some point along the supply chain for an obviously faulty magazine to be removed from circulation and the appropriate credits applied to the various accounts involved but that does not seem to happen here anyway.      Every few months at least one of the titles I have on order with my newsagent will fail to appear or be damaged and the newsagent not have another to replace it which then puts it in the hands of his distributor - John Menzies Distribution - who inevitably promise that they 'have ordered up another copy'.    A month will go past with the magazine still on back order and weekly reassurances that John Menzies still have the matter in hand only for the next issue to appear and regrets expressed by Menzies that the previous issue is no longer available after which I place an on-line order with the publisher and get it from them within a few days.

Pretty poor system and according to my newsagent it happens with different special interest magazine titles week in and week out either because something gets left out of an order/the distributor misplaces the entire batch of a particular title/the distributor's computer system decides that either the magazine has never existed/no longer exists/is not part of the shops order and rarely if ever does the matter get resolved for the missing issues.      The obvious answer in the absence of having the funds available for a subscription is to order each new magazine direct with free postage every month direct from the publisher but that does not help to support local businesses and the many other services they provide and who are just as much a victim of the monopolised distribution system as the end customer.

• Like 2