2 Imperial Star Destroyers - Anigrand & Randy Cooper

Oh yeah, I've really got my hands full now for the rest of 2017, and the Mrs hasn't yet worked out the price tag, or how much space these 2 bad-bottom boys will be taking up when built...

2 of a kind, yet miles apart in quality. Anigrand is a lot more of a build friendly kit and a lot smaller, but the Randy Cooper variant is in a league of its own - exceptional and massive.

Anigrand provide a tiny resin and PE Lambda Imperial shuttle (Tydirium) while Randy provides a Blockade Runner.

Possible fibre optic challenge here. Lets get the workbench cleared off...... boxes open

Randy's kit first..

20170220_173209_zpsxcshrbag.jpg

and now Anigrands ...

20170301_121550_zpsvnq98ix6.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gimme Shelter said:

and the Mrs hasn't yet worked out the price tag, or how much space these 2 bad-bottom boys will be taking up when built...

Boy are you going to be in trouble!!!!

The fibre guides are the issue, its all the 0.3mm drill bits you will get through!

• Like 1

The Randy Cooper version looks really MASSIVE and quite a challenge to build, I would hazard a guess.....

Looking forward to seeing how these bad-boys will progress.

Cheers.

Cheers.  

1 hour ago, Caerbannog said:

wow - where did you find these? The Anigrand kit is long OOP afaik.

René

Hi Rene

£395 imported direct from a lost soul in Hong Kong - its a genuine kit - not a remould. All parts were individually wrapped and the engines and smaller parts are all still poly bag shrink wrapped. It carries a high price tag but its an all-time master piece and something any SW fan needs in their collection - nearly forgot - £30 import at customs.

My advice - get one whenever you can - search ebay.com under the international sellers Anigrand listings.

There are huge difference between the 2 types of ISD I have, but equally good in their own way both in detail and casting. Randy's model will be far more of a build mission having seen Silverstone Phils recent completed ISD build journey

John

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Madmonk said:

Boy are you going to be in trouble!!!!

The fibre guides are the issue, its all the 0.3mm drill bits you will get through!

I have a solution to the persuasive ways of using the power of the force with a female when big kit purchases need a touch of simple reverse phycology

"Look darling, I have bought you a lovely smelly Yankee Candle - its the largest I could get you"

Simples - she's fooled even before the sentence is completed !

Oh, yes, the drill bits. I have thought of that too. Randy's resin is so thick you could use it to patch the Hoover dam - can you buy them by the 100?

John

1 hour ago, Gimme Shelter said:

"Look darling, I have bought you a lovely smelly Yankee Candle - its the largest I could get you"

Which would immediately result in : "And what have you bought now? and how much did it cost?" :worry:

Hi

So now I have had a chance to get both boxes together in the same location and to have a shuffle through the parts to get both a detail and size comparison idea of what each kit is really all about. To summarise, Randy Cooper is a genius, his detailing is very close to what you see on the big screens however the Anigrand kit still ticks many boxes and will be the easier of the 2 builds. For me, the detail is more important to the speed and work that will be required to build a kit so by my standards, Randy's steals first place by a mile.

Here are a few comparisons for the keenies ....

20170302_085359_zps2zno7p3e.jpg
20170302_085743_zpslcdnbqsz.jpg
20170302_085804_zpsddjz3otb.jpg
20170302_090011_zpsxggyzooo.jpg
20170302_085955_zpsv8fjzplh.jpg
20170302_085833_zpslh1evcpx.jpg
20170302_085808_zpssa22wjxs.jpg
20170302_090032_zpskpelnmhv.jpg
20170302_090127_zpsle9njcim.jpg
20170302_090143_zpstkbi1gqp.jpg
20170302_090330_zpswzu6vtmn.jpg
20170302_090343_zpsdouhjllq.jpg
20170302_090401_zpsoeq2igq7.jpg
20170302_090502_zpsyu8g2tb9.jpg

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Which would immediately result in : "And what have you bought now? and how much did it cost?" :worry:

Luckily a divorce last year solved those problems for me; my new partner is very "understanding" - the old Jedi mind trick seems to work well these days.. "these are not the kits you are looking for" seems to work well !

This is one thread I will be watching with interest! I have always wanted an Anigrand SD (and also an MC-80) but alas I never had the spare cash at the time

Looking at the pictures, whilst the RC kit may be bigger and has a bit more detail, I think the Anigrand has it over the RC kit in terms of QC. Say what you will about Anigrand, at least in my experience with them, they have been really good and require very little clean up. Something which by the looks of some of those RC pieces is going to take a long time. For such an expensive kit, you would expect better quality. It looks like the molds at RC are getting a bit tired. If I heard correctly, he is remastering them to be more user friendly which would be a bonus.

On the other hand, when you buy an all resin it, you do sort of expect to have to do some cleaning up. It's just the amount of cleaning up that is required which has put me off buying one

Still, I will be watching you bring life to these enormous beasts. Are you going to light at least one of them?

2 hours ago, Madhatter said:

This is one thread I will be watching with interest! I have always wanted an Anigrand SD (and also an MC-80) but alas I never had the spare cash at the time

Looking at the pictures, whilst the RC kit may be bigger and has a bit more detail, I think the Anigrand has it over the RC kit in terms of QC. Say what you will about Anigrand, at least in my experience with them, they have been really good and require very little clean up. Something which by the looks of some of those RC pieces is going to take a long time. For such an expensive kit, you would expect better quality. It looks like the molds at RC are getting a bit tired. If I heard correctly, he is remastering them to be more user friendly which would be a bonus.

On the other hand, when you buy an all resin it, you do sort of expect to have to do some cleaning up. It's just the amount of cleaning up that is required which has put me off buying one

Still, I will be watching you bring life to these enormous beasts. Are you going to light at least one of them?

Hi there

Yep - at least the RC kit will be lit, if not both. My MD is an electrical genius and also a Star Wars keenie. He's itching to get his hands into the guts of the RC kit which has been kicking around our office for a few weeks now. I keep finding him tinkering in the box explaining how we can light the monster.

I do agree with your Anigrand comments - I have a few of their kits (their VC10 being my favourite) and they certainly do have the nice tidy resin jigsaw fit and feel about them. The RC kit is a typical resin garage type kit - and I certainly didn't buy it expecting anything less than a mission of a build with numerous potential hurdles. The moulds are very tired, nearly all the castings have bits of pink mould rubber attached to them where the resin has not left them cleanly and where the moulds have started to break down. And then there are also the billions of tiny air bubbles to fill and compensate for. But after all, I like a challenge; and both these monsters look to do just that

John

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Sorry for  reviving an old thread, i've only just come across this one and am quite interested. I have a passion for Star Destroyers, I have a number of kits including 2 Zvezda kits, 4 Bandai, 2 of the old AMT kits, a "studio scale" ISD Bridge, a 36" long SSD Executor and several other models. I have recently become the very happy owner of one of the Anigrand kits (along with one of the JPG Acclamators, a JPG Victory and a Revell Venator) and would give my left nut for one of the Randy Cooper ISDs, his new one is longer than the one featured previously in this thread (now 42" long) and comes with translucent side walls to make lighting a hell of a lot easier.

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 12:45 PM, Neo uk said:

You are a lucky man. 

Where are you going to put them all though ?

Hi Neo

The Anigrand kit is collecting dust unmade (I am saving that for a rainy day treat) but the Cooper biggie is made and has its own coffin for travelling to shows - it lives in storage most of the time. I am expecting delivery of Randy's new Avenger kit in a few weeks/month once he has bagged all the kit parts up - mine's all paid for, it just needs to be exported as soon as Randy has his first batch ready for sending out. Once the new revised Avenger kit is ready, I shall use that for shows and bring the first of my Cooper destroyers into the house and mount it on the wall above the TV hooked up the its batteries.

bye for now - Gimme Shelter