Canberra WH793

Ok. This is my first work in progress post and , after a lot of thinking about it and putting it aside for another day, my first Canberra build. I have a cupboard full of Airfix Canberras acquired cheap when Modelzone passed away. They seem to be nice kits, basically accurate but to my eyes let down by deep trench lines and simplified detail. No worries, that what’s modelling is all about. The beauty of these Airfix kits is that they have nice thick basic shells that can take a lot of butchery.

Top of my list for a long time has been WH793. This was a PR7 that was converted into the aerodynamic prototype of the PR9 - essentially a PR7 with PR9 wings. Following early trials it was converted into a high altitude research aircraft with a long tapered pitot boom and a great silver and dayglo finish. It is featured in Adrian Balch’s book ‘Testing Colours’ and it was those images that finally spurred me to make a start. It is a subject that has already been covered on this site by Canberra Kid, here is my take on it. 

I have been researching this as much as I can and have identified a lot of unique features which hopefully will make for an interesting build. I will also attempt to add detail where I think it will make a difference. I do not aim for perfect accuracy, I am more interested in adding ‘realism’, the types of details that add interest that maybe the injection process can’t quite capture. So on top of the conversion features I intend to remodel the wheel wells, flaps, vortex generators and the moving tail.  I did say I had been planning this for a while. So fine words, let’s see how I get on…….

Picture1.jpg

First steps. Here is the PR9 fuselage with the B2 nose added. The vertical mark shows the join line. Bits of B2 fuselage have been used to close the upper fuselage. The join was reasonable but needed a good rub down. Halfords Heavy build primer is great at filling up the bits that weren’t too smooth. I have also filled all the panel lines.

You will also see that I have amended the wheel bay where it meets the fuselage, again using a spare piece of the B2. On the real thing the inside face of the bay is the side of the fuselage. More on this later.

Picture2.jpg

I have also opened up the flare bay. I might regret this later.

Picture3.jpg

I am using the Alley Cat replacement canopy. This is a nice add on and does a lot to sort out the mangled Airfix effort.  It is a little jam jar like but responds well to a gentle rubdown and a dip in Future. I have also filled the rough panel lines around the nav’s roof windows with Mr Surfacer.  Came up nice… These are very clear and give a good view into the interior, so a bit more effort needed here.

Picture5.jpg

WH973 was a one off and the interior was obviously an adaptation. There does not seem to be any photographs available so after a lot of head scratching I asked for help on the Canberra Sig website. The redoubtable John Sheehan, aka Canberra Kid, quickly came to the rescue. What you see here is the result. As said previously I don’t pretend that this is 100% accurate but I am trying to recreate what it might have looked like (and if no one has any pictures no one can say it is wrong!).

Key points:

• Big black box at the rear of the Cabin with cables emerging beneath.
  • A weather radar to the right of the pilot, this was cannibalized from a Flightpath Buccaneer etched sheet that was never completed several years ago
  • General cockpit details adapted from the Eduard set.
  • A Pavla pilot’s seat with added wire pull handles.

Picture6.jpg

The interior of the Alley cat canopy needs painting on the inside before fixing , very dark grey over a black undercoat. Silver decal strip to represent the canopy supports ( if that is what they are) .

After painting the inside of the canopy I discovered that the light into the interior was drastically reduced and much of the detail inside disappeared. Lesson for next time.

I did brighten up the interior to add a bit of interest. Cables under the ‘black box’ were painted silver and green. Bits of detail such as red and yellow spots livened up what could be seen and the radar screen was painted with an orange glaze. No idea if it was really like that but it did add a bit of focus to what was an important bit of kit on this aircraft. Not fictitious I prefer ‘alternative  facts’.  The Pavla seat was worth every penny, the wire handles worth the effort. The Nav seat was the Airfix offering with wire handles, these are all that can be seen once it is all closed up.

Picture8.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Edited by Tom Cobbley
  • Like 2

Thanks Guys. I thrive on encouragement.

Work will take me away from home for a week but next task will be the wheel wells. Update in two weeks with luck.