DC-7C TO 1/144th.

I have been meaning to post pics of this for some time. I completed this built about spring last year. Its the F-RSIN injected kit. I started it yonks ago and virtually abandoned it for a long while. Almost binned it. But when I had a look at it, I thought its worthwhile finishing it and use the kit decals. The final eventual end result is what you see here finished as N5900 of Braniff Airways 1950s/60s.

IMG_1828%201_zpstpg1rvkr.jpg

IMG_1829%201_zpsvhqc1azh.jpg

IMG_1833_zpsc2wqcchu.jpg

IMG_1834_zpsnqj7z19i.jpg

IMG_1832_zpslce5bjbz.jpg

Appliance white top, various brands of silver (all were troubling!!!! ) Kit decals. On checking with photos on line, I noticed that the blue of the decals is a bit too bright and also not very accurate. The blue 'eyebrow' portions are not quite there and these I had to manipulate as best I could.  Also you can see where I touched up with paint but could not match the blue. The red portion of the nose flash with the Braniff title is out all along and On the right hand side I had to cut it about to get it to fit somewhere near how it was supposed to. The left side was OK but not 100%.  The emblem at rear fuselage did not have the white background so I cut a piece of plain white decal to  fit and then laid the emblem over the top. All the kit prop blades are far too thick so I used Aeroclub ones that seem to have the blades a bit too long unless the kit undercart is too short??? Mind you the decals performed well but it was a shame they were not spot on for fit... unless of course its the kit that is wrong.....?????

Anyway hope you like it.

• Like 18

Thought I'd never appreciate airliners with whirly things, but I'm currently building the Roden DC-6 so can relate to this. An excellent build, thanks for sharing and glad you didn't bin it, though I can relate to that feeling and experience... ;-)

:goodjob: 

Darren

Very nice and well done for getting this finished.

Mine is currently in limbo. Having spent an inordinate amount of time cleaning up all the detail parts then I got stuck with the air scoops on the engine nacelles. The top ones really need replacing as they are the wrong shape, top and bottom benefit with opening out the intakes. The nacelles on mine came out oval.

I did try sanding the props, they're not too bad now though a bit short! If you used Aeroclub's W016 props they were sold for CL44, DC7C and Stratocruiser so rather on the generic side. DC7C props are almost 14' diameter while those on the Stratocruiser are over 16'. If my maths are correct your DC7 needs 29.6mm diameter props.

Graham

• Like 1