MGB40

robgizlu

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:44 AM, robgizlu said:

Thanks fellas.

Al - keep them coming - they are excellent.  Modelling Coastal Craft in 1/72 would be considerably less rewarding withou them!

I'm going to try and add some resin "Mae Wests" to a couple to imitate some of the figures from the D-day pics that appear in the Fairmile B blog.  That's unless you want to do some!!!!!?

Rob

Rob

Figures with life jackets/buoyancy aids will be done (but not in the timescale of your current projects)!

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:12 PM, Courageous said:

As a thought, do you think I could use the RN Officer figure and pass him off as an RAF Officer for my ASRL? :hmmm:

Stuart

Stuart

Straightforward answer - yes.

GM72-004: British and Commonwealth Sailors, Officers (Working Dress 5A) (1) - but perhaps not the chap with the beard

And

GM72-021: Airmen (Early WWII) were designed with half an eye on the ASRL

I'm sure I must have mentioned this before but the film "For Those in Peril" is a great source of reference for boats and crew - filmed in 1943 (released in 1944)

Al

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I do like that hull weathering: thoroughly convincing.  Excellent observation, let alone artistry.  My only other observation is that the walked-on parts of the decks could perhaps take a little more weathering: from the photos they look a bit clean, out-of-step with the hull sides.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1

Hi Rob,

I'm really enjoying and learning from this build. I recently picked up the Air Sea Rescue Launch plus the Airfix Vosper (started as you know), and funnily enough the Avon show had me picking up a further maritime prize or two! When the Vosper is done, I would like to convert the launch into one of these MGB's at some stage.

Very inspirational stuff!

Terry

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Al Gunthwaite said:

I'm sure I must have mentioned this before but the film "For Those in Peril" is a great source of reference for boats and crew - filmed in 1943 (released in 1944)

Al

I hadn't seen that bit of film before. thanks! Wish I'd had it when building my Airfix ASR boat!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, seadog said:

I hadn't seen that bit of film before. thanks! Wish I'd had it when building my Airfix ASR boat!

Have you watched the youtube clip?  If so you need to watch the whole feature film which is over an hour long - Includes harbour launches and MTB/MGBs in harbour.

Al

• Like 2

Thanks to all.

On 8/26/2018 at 8:54 AM, Seahawk said:

My only other observation is that the walked-on parts of the decks could perhaps take a little more weathering: from the photos they look a bit clean, out-of-step with the hull sides.

Thanks Seahawk.  I've rather obsessed about this.  The rear deck is dirty under the Oerlikon, but it's that old chestnut regards weathering - just how far do you go?  On balance I think you are right but it's rigged now so too late:unsure:  The Fairmile B will definitely have a more weathered deck..

14 hours ago, Al Gunthwaite said:

Have you watched the youtube clip?  If so you need to watch the whole feature film which is over an hour long - Includes harbour launches and MTB/MGBs in harbour.

Al

Al - pleased to hear about more figures with Mae Wests etc (personally feel we can't have enough of your work!!) but understand about time lines.

Thanks for the tip about the whole film of "For those in peril".  I'd seen the clip before but if you recommend the whole then as we speak Amazon will be  shipping me one.

Another You Tube clip that I thought was inspirational was "The Broad Fourteens",

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG6wV_ABdD8

Rob

• Like 1

Close Down thread

To my shame this build started on May 15th 2016 on the now Defunct 'Plastic Armour'.

After having done the ASR launch I was keen to sort out the toe rails which I did here to my satisfaction.

Base kit - Airfix RAF Air Sea Rescue (BPBCo 63 ft "Whaleback") launch.  Venerable and flawed (Those accused Scramble nets:doh:) but still a great kit even after 39 years!

Coastal Craft accessories:  Indispensible to anyone building Coastal craft in 1/72.

72001  Boat Hooks

72002  Carley Floats

72008  Depth charges & racks

72012  Twin Vickers turret

72021  Twin 0.303in Lewis Gun set

72023  Ready Ammunition lockers 2

72032  Deck Fittings

72038  Single Oerlikon on hand raising mount

Coastal Craft Models

Figures:  Gunthwaite miniatures  - Once again, indispensible for marine 1/72 WW2 modelling!  And they give that all-important sense of scale.

GM 72/007

GM 72/017

Paints

AK 507C  

Akan - White and B15

Weathering with Mig oils using "oil-dot".

Rigging

Uschi standard 

Rope coils are lead wire painted with Lifecolor hemp and then washed with Mig neutral grey or dark washes

Base plateName It - Fab service and effect and really very reasonably priced

382c81ed-124b-4bd7-93d9-d5510b9e07d5.jpg

More pics on RFI

Thanks for the support and encouragment

Rob

Edited by robgizlu
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

T291425.jpg

I've got new book about Polish MTBs S1-S4 yesterday!

Polish S2 and S3 were MGB 44 and MGB 45, initially with double turrets each with double 7,7 Lewis (book cover photo), then (autumn 1941) modified into single-turret version armed with double 12,7 gun (like your model) and additional depth-charges.
Before modification:
2.jpg
After modification:
large.jpg?action=d

S4 is tempting too, but it was MGB 113 of 71' 6" type, the kit is much more expensive.

S1 was custom built for Polish Navy already before the war in White shipyard (Cowes) - White 75 type. It is possible that it was the first modern motor gun boat ever. Initial armament was designed as two torpedo tubes, 40 mm Bofors automatic gun and double maxim machine-gun, but it never got the Bofors and torpedos.
S1_(scigacz).jpg

S2 had stunning commander Lt. Eugeniusz Wciślicki (called "Whisky" by British friends) - 21st June 1942 alone(!) fought against 6(!) German E-Boats and won the battle, forcing Germans to retreat and damaging two of them. He was decorated with Polish Virtuti Militari Cross and British DSC for that.

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, GrzeM said:

T291425.jpg

I've got new book about Polish MTBs S1-S4 yesterday!

Thanks for the heads-up GrzeM, I wasn't aware of that! Now ordered...

In retirement (still a long way off!) I want to do research on the 3rd flotilla operating out of Fowey because they had interesting camouflage.

Al

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Courageous said:

Well get on with it man, that camouflage on the book cover looks interesting. :poke:

Stuart

Damn, turns out it's not easy to find the kit these days! Did Airfix discontinued it???

BTW, I've found online photo of very fine model of S3, of course converted from Airfix Rescue Launch:
19.jpg

On the FineScale Modeler site, model built by Mirosław Golik from Biała Podlaska, Poland.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GrzeM said:

Damn, turns out it's not easy to find the kit these days! Did Airfix discontinued it???

BTW, I've found online photo of very fine model of S3, of course converted from Airfix Rescue Launch:

On the FineScale Modeler site, model built by Mirosław Golik from Biała Podlaska, Poland.

Hi Grze

Yes sadly discontinued - along with all of Airfix's 1/72 boats.

Some still available on E-bay but getting harder to get hold of.

That S3 is very nice - a very clean and crisp build.

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Got mine Airfix RAF Rescue Launch finally - and for a good price!

I think I'll do the S2 (44) in this camouflage from the cover of the Polish book.

e47915a921f683a66d0deadcfd7e7d1e.jpg

It is in earlier configuration, with two turrets armed with double Lewises. Does the "Coastal Craft  British Power Boat Company Vol 2" book include drawings for that configuration?

What do you think about camuflage colours? Blue fields over white, with grey horizontal stripes?

This is intrepretation of one of the Polish modelers - 1/100 cardboard model:

68150e2461e0a76f.jpg

My second question is about 20mm cannon base - was it round, like on the Vosper MTBs?

On this model it is apparently smalle than on the photo...

e821a246e10fb698.jpg

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 4

• 6 months later...

I have another question about the MGB44/S2 - how long was the "cockpit" opening in the superstructure roof? RAF ASR Launch had no opening at all, modified MGBs with single turret had quite small opening (as the rest of the top was  "used" by the central turret), but the unmodified, earlier version with two side turrets might have had this "cockpit" quite long, may be spreading up to the gun turrets!

Look at the photo - the black silhouette of the seaman near the turret seem to be INSIDE of the cockpit!:

spacer.png

Also on this photo there seem to be man INSIDE close to the turret:

spacer.png

And this photo, showing S-3(MGB 45) crew seen from the 20mm cannon emplacement:
spacer.png

• Like 2

Hi Grze;

There's a number of drawings of the BPB Co 63' MGB's in the book 'Coastal Craft History Volume 2 - British Power Boat Company', ISBN 978-0-9930934-1-8., including a side view drawing of MGB 44.  It appears from the drawings that all the 63' MGB's had the same size bridge opening (approx. 3 1/4 ft. by 2 1/2 ft. ), including both the MGB's with twin turrets & the MGB's having the central turret - see drawing at this link  .

Hope this helps.

John

• Like 3

Thank you John for the explanation and  the drawing!

So what can we see on the photo of the seamen taken from the rear of the boat??? For me it is a real riddle.

Does the book include top view drawings or pictures of the earlier, two-turret versions?

Edited by GrzeM
  • Like 1

Hi Grze

I think John has covered the Bridge cockpit "opening" - there's a pic at the start of the blog.

As to the object in the picture of the seamen, it's the 20mm Oerlikon gun guard rail which prevented the gun accidentally being trained forwards.

The book does cover the top view 2 turret version and it's identical to that of MGB40

It's really worth grabbing a copy of "Coastal Craft history Volume 2 - British Power Boat Company"

HTH

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Rob!

But where the seamen on the photo seat? Aren't they somewhere between the mast/turrets and the gun guard rail? And obviously they seat inside some rectangular "pit".

Could it be something like this (I know the this boat has bean heavily modified for civil use):

spacer.png

The book you mention is very interesting, but it is not easy to get it here in Poland.

Thanks for your advices!

Grzegorz

Hi Gregor

I think that's exactly where they are sitting, on the sloping rear coach-roof looking aft towards the gun and the photographer is shooting from just in front of the Oerlikon.

As to the book - it's on Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coastal-Craft-History-Volume-2-British-Power-Boat-Company-New-Book/133053839594?epid=226898385&hash=item1efaa078ea:g:i3oAAOSwT5tWJkB9

Postage shouldn't be too expensive to Poland - you won't be disappointed!

Regards

Rob