F-14D to an F-14B

Fido996

I'm just after a bit of clarity in my own mind and it always helps to hear/ read what someone else thinks.

I have a Hasegawa F-14D kit that I want to back date to a B model. Am I right in thinking that I have everything I need within this kit to do that? I need the seats from the 'H' sprues and the small ECM/RWR fairings to go under the gloves vain/ wing area just in front of the navigation lights. I know there are two more that go a little further back but I can't see them mentioned in the 'B' instruction sheet. I'm sort of assuming that these are parts H29 & H30. I'm not too worried about any differences with the instrument panels ( mainly because the interior set I have is for the 'D' model and I don't want to be forking out anymore just yet with the Hinckley show around the corner).:D

Any help would be greatly appreciated gents.

Cheers!

Assuming you're thinking of the 1/48 kit, then yes, the missing RWR bits are parts H29 and H30, they are clearly shown in the instructions for the A but for some reason not in the B.

You also need the TCS chin sensor instead of the dual TCS/IR used by the D, I believe that the parts are in the D kit anyway.

Regarding the instrument panels, IMHO the difference between the two variants is quite noticeable, particularly in the front cockpit, because the different panels also need differently shaped covers and these can be immediately seen through the canopy

• Like 1

Sorry, yes, kit PT12 in 1:48.

Thank you for that. I must admit to not researching the IP and associated area in any depth just yet. Looking like it's my next task. So that'll be parts E28 & E29 in place of E31 & E32.

Having just had a quick look at them now I see what you mean.

Thanks for the heads up. :yes:

6 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Negative, B & D both use the GE engines and nozzles 👍🏿

If he was trying to backdate to an A then yes, he would need to change them to Pratt ones. 

my mistake- I was thinking A for some reason. What I know about modern weenie cookers can be put on the head of a 1/72 scale pin!

Mike