1:10 Canadair CT-114 Tutor (Snowbird)

I'm sure I have an old IPMS RT magazine that featured the Tutor, it included cross sections. If I can find it I will mail it out to you.

Last year I attended Oshkosh. The Tutor turned 50 last year. Snowbird 10 entered his jet in the Vintage aircraft category. It was parked in the grass with Stearmans, Waco's, Staggerwings, and other 50 plus year old aircraft. The pilot brought a tent and slept with the other participants.

I served with many Snowbirds, past and present. Trust Tony, he is an ex-Snowbird and has an eagle eye fir detail.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Scooby said:

I'm sure I have an old IPMS RT magazine that featured the Tutor, it included cross sections. If I can find it I will mail it out to you.

Last year I attended Oshkosh. The Tutor turned 50 last year. Snowbird 10 entered his jet in the Vintage aircraft category. It was parked in the grass with Stearmans, Waco's, Staggerwings, and other 50 plus year old aircraft. The pilot brought a tent and slept with the other participants.

I served with many Snowbirds, past and present. Trust Tony, he is an ex-Snowbird and has an eagle eye fir detail.

Hi Scooby,

Thanks for stopping by and thank you for the offer of drawings w/cross sections of the Tutor!  I'm biting at the bit to get cranking on this and am planning my starting point.  I would love to start with the pit but know it better to start with the airframe to make sure I have the measurements just right!  I'd hate to build a detailed IP that DOESN'T fit in the pit! 

Great story on the Oshkosh trip.  I haven't been there since 2003 and owe myself an airshow or two.  As a kid, we owned an Aeronca 7AC and a Stinson 108C.  I learned to fly in our Champ and we flew into airshows with the Stinson.  We even slept out under the wing too.  Great fun!  Last time we did that at Evergreen in Washington State we were woke by AT-6's doing run-ups by our beds.  (We were parked at the end of the runway).  No need for an alarm with the Dawn Patrol on duty!

Message me off boards if you like for my contacts.

With thanks for your support and your service!

PR

Edited by Pastor Rich
To err is human. Proof readers untie!

• 1 month later...

Evening All,

Well here we are on the eve of the BIG celebration for Canada 150 and I'm stuck in Georgia.  So we'll be marking the day with you from here.  I finally took some time out for myself and started on the artwork for the CT-114.  I thought I might as well post living proof that I'm actually working on this:

20170630-00-CT-114.jpg

I'm starting on the keel that will form the fuselage and build from there.  The core will follow much the same pattern that Peter (Airscale) used in building up his epic F7F Firecat.  This should be easy now that I have both the scale paper model from Dave Winfield as well as these drawings from Chris Bowley. 

Thanks for stopping by!

PR

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Man time flies when you're buried alive by life!  I am finally preparing my next step on the Tutor as I hope to be doing a walk around at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum CL-41A in the morning.  I pray my camera batteries go the distance!

I FINALLY MADE IT TO OTTAWA!!!

Well gang, it took a while but I finally got up to Ottawa and was able to spend some quality time taking photos and building a detailed study of the Canadair CL-41A and Snowbirds CT-114!  Along the way I snapped a few other pictures.  Hard not too!

IMG_2718.jpg

The museum trip was an enormous success!  Thanks to their most EXCELLENT staff, I was able to find everything I was looking for, right down to technical documentation in the library.  All I had to do was let them know I was working on a 1/10th scale CL-41A and the librarian was able to provide a stack of resources! 

Here's one of the scores of pages that I photographed from the factory documentation they had on file.  This illustration points out the various access points on the Tutor.  I have the call-outs in a separate image.

IMG_2449.jpg

The museum is excellent on every level and HIGHLY recommended.  I came away with tons of photos and the obligatory "Ottawa, Canada" red and white coffee mug for the Mrs  Once I get the photos processed I will get them online for anyone else who wants to build a Tutor. 

IMG_2563.jpg

Paid parking tops out at $8 with museum admission at $15.  The guided hangar tour is an additional $7 and is HIGHLY recommended as well.  This is where they have their Beaufighter, Blenheim, Liberator, Catalina, Viscount, Northstar, Sea Fury, Mustang and Mosquito (among others).  It's a veritable big boy toy box!  Plan to make a day of it!  A couple of hours simply won't do.

IMG_2722.jpg

Now I have all the references and resources needed to build the beast. 

Many thanks to all who have contributed thus far!!!

PR

Edited by Pastor Rich
To err is human. Proof readers untie!
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

All,

Thank you for the gift of sharing your photos and resources this past year.  It has been both a blessing and a privilege to be a part of the creative process with you.  Thank you too for taking interest in this creative endeavour and thanks to BRITMODELLER.COM for maintaining this space that we may meet.   Grace and peace to you this Christmas and throughout the New Year 2018!

The CT-114 has a long way to go but 2017 has been very fruitful in gathering steam in collecting photos and original factory data on the Tutor.  Special thanks to the staff of the CANADIAN AVIATION AND SPACE MUSEUM (CASM) for your hospitality and professionalism.  I can't wait for my next visit to you in the New Year 2018.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a Good night,

Pastor Rich

• Like 7

• 7 months later...

Greetings All,

A quick update that I am still of this earth although not working on the Tutor as of late.  (I have enjoyed working on a Hobbycraft CF-100 though!)  Work has kept me away from the Tutor as I have been busy replanting of a local church.  Scratch-building a church as it were!  : )

Some of you have contacted me on broken image links.  I closed out one of my domains that also happened to host images to this blog...thus the broken images you've likely encountered. 

Enough has changed in the specifications of this build that I am tempted to start the builder log over again.  Will be considering that as I carve out a new workspace for myself and create bandwidth in my schedule for a little fun!

Glory 2 G-d!  (G2G)

Pastor Rich

• Like 1

• Pastor Rich changed the title to 1:10 Canadair CT-114 Tutor (Snowbird)

What?  An Update?!

Well gang, I'm still here and turning my attention back to the bench.  Yes, I've been busy these past couple of years working on a 1:1 scale church replant but now that CV is closing doors my role has been diminished in the brick and mortar realm while my work in broadcast ministry has been through the roof.  So I decided to "stay in my lane" and focus on the broadcast outreach rather than the replant.  This is freeing up some time and will hopefully help get my sons engaged in model building with me.  My front-burner project is a conversion of the classic Revell 1:48 B-17G to a TB-17G Firebomber (N3702G) Tanker E61 found right here on Britmodeller.

The Fort is a refresher for me to help get into the Tutor and was a Christmas present from the Mrs to boot.  Fire season is coming and we'll need all the air attack assets we can get.  Right?!

In the meantime, I'll be thinking on how I want to start with the Tutor.  I have made changes with the build mainly switching from 1:18 scale to 1:10.  That will make for a BIG model -- approximately a 1 m wingspan.  It will be built gear-up in mixed media -- very likely out of a balsa core covered in plastic sheeting. 

So don't write this project off just yet.  It will be my back-up while working on the 17. 

Thanks for stopping by!

Cheers,

PR

• Like 5

Welcome back, Good to see this blast from the past resurface! It was only last Sunday we had a fly past over Nova Scotia of the Snow Birds, doing their bit for national moral.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gday PR, looking forward to seeing this... I tried a little scratching on a tank in the military forum and found it to be more satisfying than a OOB build. I do remember sanding away the tips of my fingers and spilling a fair amount of blood but it was worth it !! Down the track I'll try to introduce it into my kit building..... Good luck mate !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A SAD, SAD DAY

spacer.pngBy now most, if not all of you know of the loss of 431 AD Squadron PAO Capt Jennifer Casey of Halifax, NS and the injury of her pilot Snowbird 11 Coordinator, Capt Richard MacDougall of the Canadian Forces Snowbirds in the crash of their Tutor on Sunday, May 17, 2020.

The news of her loss leaves me speechless.  As a matter of fact the only way I find words is in prayer where the LORD meets us and ministers to us in our time of greatest need.  In prayer I lift the families of Capt Casey and Capt MacDougall as they come to grips with what has happened.  I lift in prayer those who grieve the loss of one so blessed to be a part of what I personally consider the finest aerial demonstration team on the planet.  I lift in prayer all Canada as this blow comes at a time when the nation looked skyward to see the Snowbirds during their national tour of encouragement and inspiration. 

I admire those who are blessed to live the dream.  As a pilot myself I know the risks of taking to the air but also know that nothing compares to breaking our earthly bonds to touch the skies.  I grew up the son of a pilot and know the special place such a tight knit community makes in the life of one who flies.  Even in my circles I have lost friends to flying accidents.  We know the risks and we face them accordingly through training and professionalism.  Yes, we make mistakes too which may exact an ultimate cost -- but in this case I see nothing but evidence of heroism in the face of a hopeless situation.

Capt MacDougall, may you quickly and fully recover from your injuries and have no long lasting effects from your ejection.  I pray the LORD's peace to you and your family in this hour and the days, weeks and months to come.  Our prayers are with you and for you in this most difficult time.

The LORD bless you and keep you all,

Pastor Rich

Edited by Pastor Rich
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

9 hours ago, dogsbody said:

The Snowbirds were up here, just this past Friday morning. These were taken from my front yard.

Chris

Thank you, Chris!

Those are awesome shots and from your front yard eh?  Nice!!  I heard news of a group of civilian pilots who were gathering to complete the Snowbirds tour themselves out of Abbotsford.  I'll be looking for photos, video and news stories on that.  What spirit!  A magnificent tribute.

PR

• Like 2