B-17G production changes by manufacturer

72modeler

While looking over my just-delivered new-tool 1/72  Airfix B-17G, which is an outstanding kit at first glance, I was pondering what schemes could be done with the armament fit provided in this initial release. Along that line, I pulled my well-worn copy of Peter Bowers' Fortress in the Sky to see at what stage in the production process the various changes in the G model took place. Thinking some of you might find the information useful, especially if Airfix had the forethought to engineer the kit for alternate versions to be released later, I have compiled a summary of sorts, listed below. (Other than the vents/fillers for the outer wing 'Tokyo' tanks, a new fuselage and transparency sprue would allow F's through early G's to be built.) I also hope someone can confirm the accuracy of my findings, as I am NO B-17 authority!

Mike

chin turret- last 86 Douglas-built B-17F's beginning with B-17F-70-DL and all B-17G's regardless of maker

cheek guns- done at modification centers after production, beginning with -60-BO, -25-DL, and -35BE

staggered waist guns- beginning with -50-BO, -50-VE, and -25DL

enclosed radio compartment gun- beginning with -80BO, -45DL, and -25DL

radio compartment gun deleted- beginning with -105-BO 43-39206, -75-DL 44-83236, and -85-VE 44-8817

Cheyenne tail turret- beginning with -80-BO 43-38473, -45-DL 44-6251, and -55-VE 44-8287

Whoops- prop hubs are' way too anemic! Please, please, please, somebody in the afterrmarket give us some decent  items...why is it that the hubs on almost every 1/72 kit, regardless of type, are underscale?

Almost forgot! BO is Boeing-built, DL is Douglas-built, and VE is Lockheed-Vega-built...my mistake!

Edited by 72modeler
left out maker in block data

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Cheyenne tail turret- beginning with -80-BO 43-38473, -45-DL 44-6251, and -55-VE 44-8287

So essentially the kit represents a B-17G from this point forward?

Just got mine this weekend...with fuselage a separate sprue seems to be an easy future release is an early G or even an F. Would of course need other minor bits but that's the major piece. 

That is a very informative list and certainly more detailed than my sources.

There may be some discrepancy between sources about the timing of the introduction of the Cheyenne tail turret.

This from Roger A Freeman's Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress Profile 205:

"One change that did affect the B-17G's outline, a new type of tail turret, was introduced on the Boeing line from block '-90-BO; the Vega line from block 55-VE and Douglas line from 50-DL." (p.3).

The 1/72 Revell B-17G indulges us with a choice of tail turret and positionable flaps.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

There were also 'Field Modification Centers' in England so it is highly probable there were F's and early G's originally produced with the Stinger Tail turret , after battle damage or request that got upgraded to the Cheyenne turret.

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands