Another stupid idea of mine, TBF & TBM Monogram & Italeri

Hello dears,

I'm studying the battle of Midway and still found this battle fascinating.

I will reproduce the beginning of the Avenger, quite desastruous, in fact !

So I must do the 8-T-1, the sole Survivor, wich is the choice ??

Conversion of the Accurate/Italeri, quite easy... or not foolish enough..:unsure:

Improving the old Monogram one ?? Sound better !

Let's see

WP_20170227_20_46_32_Pro

She is collecting dust in my stock since the end of the '80

WP_20170227_20_46_51_Pro

This one, will drag her sister up, why not making 2 kits on the same time, business as usual to me !:party:

Dimensions are right, even for the toy wich would became a kit, nice shot monogram !

WP_20170227_20_45_24_Pro

Now, I start thinking about this mash up, yek yek yek !:idea:

WP_20170227_20_45_43_Pro

This one is not finished tomorrow for sure...

Did I tell you that I like challenges ??

See you later,

Take care of yourself.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 14

One nice thing about the Monogram kit is it incorporated the "trough" for the original -1 with the off-center mounted .30 caliber gun. Also its clear parts were good, considering its age. I've seen some nice models done from that kit, admittedly with a LOT of extra TLC.

david

• Like 2

19 hours ago, David H said:

One nice thing about the Monogram kit is it incorporated the "trough" for the original -1 with the off-center mounted .30 caliber gun. Also its clear parts were good, considering its age. I've seen some nice models done from that kit, admittedly with a LOT of extra TLC.

david

Hello David,

Obviously, that need a lot of work, but whatever, the dimensions are right, I have a lot of these oldies, but still like it.

Shape was good too, except for the brits Aircraft, Typhoon, need a little bit of work, but the Mossie is another story...

These ones will not be finished next month for sure, but will try it.

You're right about the .30, and, in that way, Monogram is alone, all the other brand have missed the point:idea:

Thank for watching.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Good luck with this one,.....I did consider it myself once using the Monogram kit with a pair of left over Acc. Min. wings after I`d used folded resin wings on this kit instead,...... but I decided against it as too much work,...... I really wish you well. 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
On 02/03/2017 at 11:01 PM, tonyot said:

Good luck with this one,.....I did consider it myself once using the Monogram kit with a pair of left over Acc. Min. wings after I`d used folded resin wings on this kit instead,...... but I decided against it as too much work,...... I really wish you well. 

Cheers

Tony

Ooh, folded resin Avenger wings; that sounds interesting.  Don’t suppose you can remember who made them, Tony?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Ooh, folded resin Avenger wings; that sounds interesting.  Don’t suppose you can remember who made them, Tony?

Company called Wolfpack Models if I remember correctly. 

Image result for avenger wolfpack modelsww48005-2-r_1024x1024.jpeg?v=1444265136

Found some here;

https://www.victorymodels.com/products/wolfpack-1-48-resin-tbf-tbm-avenger-wing-fold-set-for-acc-miniatures-ww48005?variant=8756552451

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Raaaaah another temptation !!

Thank you, I will consider that one !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Dears

Stuffed sides by sides, it look pretty good for an old kit...

Some fixing has to be done but otherwise, it's good

WP_20171215_20_39_52_Pro

The creation of an interior must start somewhere... Soooo

Here we go on !

WP_20171216_00_03_52_Pro

I also started boring the exhaust and the .30 on the cowling of the TBF-1

Still hesitating between a FAA Tarpon and a New Zealander one... :smirk::smirk:

Don't know yet, A FAA one with Overlord stripes is tempting however, I dislike these stripes...

Really hesitating !!

have a good modelling time.

CC

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Hello Dears,

I did'nt forget my weird ideas !! :evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Sooooo, This blue thing of a floor will look like that other grey thing  :poo:

WP_20180622_21_07_12_Pro

That promise to be funny !!

I started to glue the wing on a side of the fuselage !!

WP_20180622_21_07_20_Pro

That way I can improve the floor and avoid any annoiances when the time to button it up will come… one day….

WP_20180622_22_39_18_Pro

Creating a pilot head rest, then I will search in my resin parts or do new ones...

WP_20180623_01_19_05_Pro

Here we go, I will install the .30 on the nose too, The Itaccurate gave me 2 dashboards !! Hooray !

One problem sorted !!

Have a really good Week end and Don't forget modelling !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 6

Very interesting project CC will tag along of I may.   I am not trying to influence you but FAW all the way !!! I have a Hobbyboss Avenger in the stash which I may have to dig out and have a look at now.  

Great work so far fella. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

Believe it or not, I've been toying with the same idea for some time now.....I love the tiny raised rivets of the Monogram kit, and planned to use some leftover parts from a donor HobbyBoss Avenger wich saw better days...

Removing all those toyish features from the Monogram kit is the part that really wories me, because some raisd rivets can get lost as well....

Anyway, I think that both, Accurate Miniatures and Hobby Boss, forgot to put the forward firing machine gun over the nose, just a blanking plate is shown there, and I'm not sure if that's right for a TBF1.

A friend of mine, who is a very good modeller and also an Avenger fan, threw up his hands and told me to forget about that, just build the Hobby Boss kit and keep the Monogram as a "blast from the past" souvenir....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Artie said:

Believe it or not, I've been toying with the same idea for some time now.....I love the tiny raised rivets of the Monogram kit, and planned to use some leftover parts from a donor HobbyBoss Avenger wich saw better days...

Removing all those toyish features from the Monogram kit is the part that really wories me, because some raisd rivets can get lost as well....

Anyway, I think that both, Accurate Miniatures and Hobby Boss, forgot to put the forward firing machine gun over the nose, just a blanking plate is shown there, and I'm not sure if that's right for a TBF1.

A friend of mine, who is a very good modeller and also an Avenger fan, threw up his hands and told me to forget about that, just build the Hobby Boss kit and keep the Monogram as a "blast from the past" souvenir....

Hello Artie,

The first batch of Avenger did have the forward firing .30 The monogram kit got it !!

That''s one more of my weird idea ! But 8-T-1 is too tempting !!

I already have collected resin parts from my différents projects.

As for the raised rivets, I'm not yet there but I use to rivet it myself along the engraving of the panels...

If you like the rivets, have a look at my Lancaster WiP :rofl2:

Thank for the kind words, and go on with your Avengers … Why not ??

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Hi, CC......This is just a hobby, and having fun is what it's all about, isnt' it..???? Anyone approaches the hobby in its own way, and if we decide to do it in the insane way, it's our own bussiness....

I really like working with classic kits, not just for the fond memories they bring me, but for the challenge of updating them....Needless to be said, you won't please everybody doing so, and maybe some of the Alfa Males of scale modelling will tell you you're wrong, even an heretic for walking off the line you're supposed to follow.....That's all bullshit to my ears, it's my kit, it's my time and it's my money....

And returning to the Avenger theme, I'd like to build a british Tarpon I, with the navigator seat in place, so a TBF1 is mandatory....I've got two started Hobby Boss kits on the run, one is going fine, the other not so fine, it even found itself diving against the floor, so lots of scattered parts turned a fine kit into a perfect donor.....The only problem here is that the HB kit represents a TBF1C, with no forward firing 0.30...

Best regards.....

• Haha 1

Hi C.C.,

I’ve often wondered about this Monogram kit and now I can stop wondering.  I, too, have an interest in the Battle of Midway and have read several accounts on it.  By far the best has been Craig L Stymonds’ book The Battle of Midway.  I practically held my breath during Best’s sighting and run up to the Japanese carriers, even though, of course, I knew the outcome.  Excellent account of that turning point of the war in the Pacific.  Highly recommended.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Artie

The TBF-1 had the cowl gun, the TBF-1C swapped the cowl gun for wing 0.50s 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_TBF_Avenger#Variants

Note that the FAA did not distinguish, an Avenger I is a Grumman built plane, ie TBF, an Avenger II is an Eastern built plane,  a TBM.

You need the serial for the subtype!

This is important for the modeller as Grumman used Us made MAP colours, Eastern used equivalents, which were US ANA specification, different interior colours too.

See here for the full details

HTH

T

• Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Good start CC! Looks good! :)

Håkan

Thanks Häkan, That will be a long distance Runner too !

12 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Note that part of the cockpit floor is formed by the upper surface of the wing.

Thanks Sir, That's why I saved the original part, I will add some parts of the différents floor...

And the bomb bay… Will be fun !!

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Very interesting project CC will tag along of I may.   I am not trying to influence you but FAW all the way !!! I have a Hobbyboss Avenger in the stash which I may have to dig out and have a look at now.  

Great work so far fella. 

All the best 

Chris 

Thank Chris !

Let's strart an Avenger season !

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Hi C.C.,

I’ve often wondered about this Monogram kit and now I can stop wondering.  I, too, have an interest in the Battle of Midway and have read several accounts on it.  By far the best has been Craig L Stymonds’ book The Battle of Midway.  I practically held my breath during Best’s sighting and run up to the Japanese carriers, even though, of course, I knew the outcome.  Excellent account of that turning point of the war in the Pacific.  Highly recommended.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis,

I've some books on the subject, thanks for the refs, I will try to buy this one too !

Plus some testimonies in my Hook collection.

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Artie

The TBF-1 had the cowl gun, the TBF-1C swapped the cowl gun for wing 0.50s 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_TBF_Avenger#Variants

Note that the FAA did not distinguish, an Avenger I is a Grumman built plane, ie TBF, an Avenger II is an Eastern built plane,  a TBM.

You need the serial for the subtype!

This is important for the modeller as Grumman used Us made MAP colours, Eastern used equivalents, which were US ANA specification, different interior colours too.

See here for the full details

HTH

T

Thanks Troy, for the color refs, The Monogram will be 8-T-1 but the Accuritaleri one will be a Tarpon, Now FAA or RNZAF ?? I Don't know yet.

If my memory did'nt fail too much, I remember a pic of a Tarpon with the invasion stripes… But not quite sure about it ??

Then a Tarpon in Sky and EDSG... That will be cute Would'nt it ??

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Just really read the title, CC.  Perhaps you should consider editing it.  Nothing “stupid” about your ideas. 

Cheers

Dennis

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Hello Dears,

Sometimes, I keep watching at the books and then back at the models

And in doing so, I see that the early TBF did'nt have the oval window on the left side of the access hatch !

Then on the on other side of the fuselage the oval window was a rounded one !

Soooo !

WP_20181020_22_56_08_Pro

I Don't know if it is a good thing to call it aftermarket materials ??

But some of the internal parts are just copied, it's not worthy to mould it since I just have one Monogram avenger !

Soooo again

WP_20181020_22_32_21_Pro

Have a great modelling time Dears ! And take good care !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 5