1/72 Hasegawa/Revell Mosquito B Mk.IV

Rob G

And it's a big hello from your friendly neighbourhood serial GB starter. Despite not having made any effort at all to cut plastic on my F-16 for the F-16 GB, here I am again with what will no doubt end not so much in tears, nor with a bang nor a whimper, but not at all. Because that's the way I roll. (The Matchbox Mustang is progressing, slowly. It'd be a darn sight quicker if I could remember to do proper prep before painting, which would obviate the need to repeatedly strip paint. Numpty.)

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that this is the only ugly duckling Hasegawa/Revell Mossie in this GB, amongst a schwarm of those upstart Tamiya things. Why am I doing this one? Because it's the one I have. My uncle gave it to me in 2007, and I'd planned then to build it using the aftermarket decals I'd bought, so here we are. I'm aware of its alleged shortcomings, and they don't matter. All other 1/72 Mosquito kits share the same major issue - I don't have a single one of them in the stash.

To make the duckling uglier, it'll be getting markings from the Cutting Edge Zircus Rosarius sheet; yes, the quintessential British pin-up aircraft in the colours of the dastardly Hun. Man up Bigglesworth, your lip she ist trembling, yah? (Which reminds me, I really must get around to finishing the P-47s from this sheet too... Oh well.) Easy peasy colours, a cakky dark yellow and a sort-of-but-not-really greeny-grey that no-one seems completely sure about (RLM04 and 74). I'll fake something, and none of you will be any the wiser. Decals are easy, codes, crosses und swastikas. The biggest sticking point is going to be scratchbuilding the coolant header tanks behind the prop spinners, and making something up to represent the splined output shafts of a pair of mighty Merlins. Again, I'll fake something. For those who wonder about all this apparently unnecessary work, from what I can gather the aircraft I'm depicting was never flown by the Germans, and was displayed sans props, which had been damaged in the beach landing that led to the aircraft (and crew's) capture. The few (poor) photos available would seem to indicate that the damage was actual, so... no props it is. With the way the Mossie was designed, removing the props exposes the coolant header tanks. These are basically flattened donuts, circumferential to the shaft and painted silver. Quite prominent, so I'll have to add them. Somehow.

No photos right now, because Flickr is (most unusually) having some problems with its editing facility.I'll add them when it's up again. So you'll have to take my word that the kit is pure and untouched. :P

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...