Scale Military Modeller International Magazine

nheather

What do you think of this magazine.  Looking at getting a subscription but wonder whether it is suitable for beginners.

Does it cover techniques and OOB builds or is it all £60 plus £80 worth of after-market built and finished by an expert way beyond my humble abilities.

My main modelling interest is WWII Armour.

Alternatively, I'm looking at Airfix World magazine because it is more down to earth - even though it is dedicated to Armour the variety also appeals.

Cheers,

Nigel

Well........if I was going to lash out that sort of money on a years subscription (and I don't anymore, I buy them when they have something of interest to me), it wouldn't be for this one. The editor seems to think that cramming as many articles into one issue makes sense. In my opinion, most of the time, the articles tell you very little, mainly because they go from start to finish all within two (and sometimes only one) pages. In one issue, you usually find as many as 6-8 builds. Compare that to the 4-5, informative articles that you would find in other publications such as Military Modelling, Military Modelcraft or Military In Scale.

So if you want to spend out on a subscription, I'd recommend one of the ones that I've mentioned.

HTH's.

John.

I think these days you'll struggle to find a commercial magazine that still regularly covers traditional build articles. Most of the articles are structured around the assumption that you'll be adding at least one aftermarket set (not that I have an issue with that in principle) but the older-style article that takes a basic kit and follows a step by step build log is something of a dying breed. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but it all seems to be all about the finish these days and how many colour modulations you added.

Just thinking outside the box for a moment, have you considered joining IPMS? They do a good quality magazine that still includes more traditional step by step builds. It is a more generalist magazine and only publishes six times a year but contrary to popular opinion, it is not all about aircraft.

www.ipmsuk.org

PS: Bullbasket mentioned Military in Scale magazine as an option - unfortunately it folded about 4 or 5 years ago

Cheers,

Centaur

Edited by Centaur95

Ive stopped buying magazines its one maybe two paragraphs on the build and the rest on the latest paint /weathering products THAT you HAVE to use to build a decent kit -nothing about the kit or its buildability 

Airfix mags is probaly one of the best on the market but has a AFV builder there were  not enough to interest me 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.

I picked on this Military Modeller International because of price - £55 for 22 editions.

But when I was checking it out in WH Smith, I did notice that it had a lot of short articles so probably light on sort of detail I like.

I also notice that their back issues are only £2,00 - which suggests the demand is not great.

Of the magazines that I looked at, the Airfix one was the style I liked the best.  Light on armour of course but the variety is not necessarily a bad thing.

Cheers,

Nigel

12 hours ago, Centaur95 said:

PS: Bullbasket mentioned Military in Scale magazine as an option - unfortunately it folded about 4 or 5 years ago

Just goes to show how out of touch I am with what's available, magazine wise!!

As an addition to what I wrote in the first post, I know from personal experience that the editor of that particular magazine, edits any article submitted to death. What starts as 1500 words, can end up with less than a thousand.

John.

1 hour ago, Julien said:

Learn French then?

No need. The magazine is probably Steel Masters. The articles are laid out in such a way that you can get the general idea what they are saying. If not, there's always Google Translate. Many well known modellers have contributed to it including Steve Zaloga.

There's also a very good Belgium magazine, but once again, the name escapes me.........NURSE!  Where are my tablets!

John.