Angle deck Midways and Essex's 1/700

hsr

I remember years ago when I was trying to find a straight deck Midway class carrier before the Loose Cannon one came out there seemed to be a bunch of kits of the angled deck version. But now that I want to build a angle deck one I can't find any. The same seems to be true of angle deck Essex's.  I know that both HP and Ships & Co made CVA-42 Franklin and that Jim Shirley made an Oriskany but I can't even find them on Ebay and I have been searching for months and they don't even show up in completed listings. An I missing a bet or is it just an example of "you snooze you loose" and I am just out of luck?

Yeap the resin kits are OOP although I thought Ships and Co did an Essex rather than a Midway. ARII do/did a 1/800 USS Midway and Gallery Models have finally done a 1/350th Intrepid but in terms of a decent Midway or Essex with Angled Decks in 1/700 then i'm afraid there's nothing readily available which is a shame. The same goes for a Royal Navy Ark Royal or Eagle as neither of these are available in their more familiar full angled deck versions, despite being the most wanted.

7 minutes ago, Geoff_B said:

Yeap the resin kits are OOP although I thought Ships and Co did an Essex rather than a Midway.

My mistake. Ship & Co. did a CV-14 Ticonderoga

Forgot the Dragon CV-36 Antietam. Almost, but I want one with the hurricane bow. And even it is becoming hard to find, so I better buy one so I won't regret not having done so later :)

Yeah I didn't bother with the Antietam as she was just a prototype for the angled deck, the kits hull is not widened which they did to support the extra top weight. You can see by looking at the Tico kit review on one of the ship modelling forums.

Model Monkey has done 3D printed modernised Islands for the Fifties updated Essex, so you could use this and do some scratch building to a Trumpeter or Dragon Essex to a Angled Deck version.

Must admit I too would like to see a new kit of an Angled Deck Essex along with a Midway and Coral Sea in 1/700

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I just I just scored a Shapeways Island for my MT Miniature angled deck 1/700 Intrepid.  I plan on converting and doing a CVT-16 Lexington.  The Island I got is a small jewel, made as a Tico Island, it is very close to the Lex one.  Lots of changes to be made get get a Lex out of an Intrepid, I may have bitten off more than I can handle.

cheers, Tony

At great personal expense I got a Shirley Oriskany on Ebay. I also got a Shapeways island, this one for the Kearsarge. I don't know when, but I will give it a go.

Howard

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

I just I just scored a Shapeways Island for my MT Miniature angled deck 1/700 Intrepid.  I plan on converting and doing a CVT-16 Lexington.  The Island I got is a small jewel, made as a Tico Island, it is very close to the Lex one.  Lots of changes to be made get get a Lex out of an Intrepid, I may have bitten off more than I can handle.

Well that came from 'left-field' Tony, didn't expect to see you here with ships. Live and learn...

Stuart

• Thanks 1