KA Models 1/72 F-14A Tomcat

Fixing the rest of the fuselage, hmmm, well the strange design means we have to join the two halves of each side of the engine body. Its gonna leave an ugly seam line all down the fuselage on both sides. Its also flimsy, need to make sure both halves glue together into the right curve.

5hdReym.jpg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, CasualModel98 said:

However when fitting to the rest of the fuselage, there is a fit issue. 

Nice fix. I guess every F-14 kit  have these fit issues, maybe except of the new Tamiya one. Even the old Monogram, which was split just into an upper and lower halves. The 1:48 Academy is a nightmare on that, especially on the front parts. So no need to worry about as long you have this in mind. Cheers

Edited by bbudde

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:31 AM, Giorgio N said:

A Fujimi Tomcat with added PE parts, masks and a metal pitot tube for $25 sounds pretty good to me, at least compared to what we pay in Europe (here a second hand Fujimi cat alone would cost $20-$25).

Here, here!

However, I have to notice that the cockpit's PE parts and particularly their gray color looks odd.

By the way, only $25 for a Fujimi kit is a great price!!!!

Edited by Shalako

13 hours ago, Shalako said:

Here, here!

However, I have to notice that the cockpit's PE parts and particularly their gray color looks odd.

By the way, only $25 for a Fujimi kit is a great price!!!!

Agree, but then I have this problem with a lot of coloured PE parts, I'm rarely happy with their colour 😁

Ahhh, now I like it, all seam lines sanded away. I find the best method is to make sure the two halves are joined evenly that is both sides are flat without one side higher than the other. Then filing and filling with putty.

Finishing touch is to use Mr.Hobby surfacer 1000 and lather on thick with a small brush to fill in the fine gaps, then when dry to sand it smooth with 1000 grit. It looks ugly but that is just the primer to show up any existing gaps for further work. As I sand it down that makes it look like scratch marks, but it is smooth.

I cut the tow holes at the rear left side to fit in the TARPS pod.

WFyBdHn.jpg

Yep for some strange reason, it came with a TARPS pod option.

F-14_TARPS.jpg

Lots of deformities all around. This kit is meant for an experienced modeler with the patience to slowly and patiently glue the parts together, sand and fill and file. Note the uneven exhaust ring as well. Will need to sand that down for a smoother join to the exhaust.

JWuJMAi.jpg16bYC1B.jpg

19 minutes ago, CasualModel98 said:

Putting all the fuselage halves and quarters together. Oh S#$T, why did they design it so badly? The gap is huge hard to reach. Will ave to finesse some toothpick filling and sanding within the intake.

5v2JlRJ.jpg?1

Milliput might be a good fix for this - two part filler, you can wet it and push it into position easily and shape it snooth while wet. That is a nasty gap.