KA Models 1/72 F-14A Tomcat

This is the bottom view. I liked the detailed decals for the phoenix missiles. The decals were good but does not fit well to the parts. I had to trim off some of the decals from the fins of the missiles.

WDakMsZ.jpg 

Yeah yeah, I know they don't load missiles with the pod, but heck I wanted to use everything.

sP1Z4fM.jpg 

View from the front, note the small PE part for the nosewheel light.

GDErBiA.jpg

Edited by CasualModel98
Add photo.
  • Like 2

My take of this kit?

It is not for beginners. It is a kit for an experienced modeller who is looking for a frame to hang all the PE and aftermarket bits he/she has bought.

The good thing about the kit.

- comes with a lot of PE parts and rubber tires

- comes with a lot of parts with options for different variants

- comes with options for flaps, radome

- comes with external engine on a trolley which I did not build

- great set of decals that is thin, durable and conforms closely to the panel lines

- has great panel lines

The bad thing about the kit is

- parts don't fit and align

- instructions are missing with gaps here and there

- not easy to glue and align the parts given the strange way the parts are designed

If you like to slowly work through the model to show off your skill. Enjoy filling, sanding and filing. Enjoy sanding and re-scribing panel lines to align the parts. Am looking for a kit with lots of PE and parts options, lots of decals that is thin, this is it.

If you are looking for an easy to put together kit, and just want to glue and paint with minimal other work, with simple and limited parts, go for the typical Hasegawa, Tamiya, Academy or Airfix kits.

As much as this kit gave me headaches, I did enjoy myself putting it together. It tested my patience, tested my modelling skills. Some areas I failed and others I was quite pleased. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry one point to note, they provided more PE parts that is shown on the instruction sheet. I realised it after I have completed painting the body, so did not want to go back to cut and add the parts as I had to repaint again.  Please study the PE parts and go online to find out how and where to fit them. Then before you assemble the body, you need to cut and glue the parts. Otherwise the PE parts will protrude out from the flat surface of the body and look odd. This was the reason I did not use up all the PE parts. 

ZYSDBOg.jpg

• 3 years later...