Revell 747 questions

55 minutes ago, Scott Garard said:

Thanks for that Scott .Interesting that the plugs are in inches and the overall dimensions in metres. Also of note are the triple bogeys on the wings.

The original Boeing plan was to use 777 landing gear to spread the extra weight. The book 'Modern Boeing Jetliners' by Norris and Wagner has some schematics of the 747-500, -600 and -700 where the fuselage would have been widened 5 feet!

• 6 months later...
11 hours ago, dadofthree said:

26decals have this sheet http://www.26decals.com/epages/62035508.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62035508/Products/STS44309 currently tempting me and my question is which green do I need for this scheme? 

Can't help you with the green, but which 747-200 kit are you using or are you going to convert one of your 747-8's?

On 1/7/2018 at 1:01 PM, dadofthree said:

Where do I start with the list of technical hitches......

1. £6.00 postage for a single tin,

2. Its oil based not water based,

3. None of the paint comparison charts list it as an alternative 

4. The last conversation I had involving grey was in 1990 and featured John Major! 

vallejo model colour pale grey is a very nice aclric beoing grey....

5 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Can't help you with the green, but which 747-200 kit are you using or are you going to convert one of your 747-8's?

I was planning on using the E4B kit but a 748i in retro paint sounds like a plan 

Having communicated with Ray at 26Decals who told me his secret formula for his decals I started to do some research. The scheme in question is a Negus&Negus design using Peacock green. Nobody in the UK produces this colour except as a nail polish. You can get it as house paint in the USA and Australia. I also found that nobody in the UK has Xtracolor X347 on the shelf so I am going with plan B. 

https://discourse-cdn-sjc1.com/infiniteflight/uploads/default/original/3X/b/4/b4ed154c138940d48dc012782cd40362bb2b8bfd.jpg

Yes, a Gulf Air 748i(read BOAC 746), and yet another What-if for the collection! 

Edited by Abandoned Project
Update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Having abandoned my 748f (bad idea) and my Marine One MH-53E I have found myself with yet another 747-400 (a BA version with RR engines) in my collection, so I have six (eight)747s on the go! But I digress! 

While doing some calculations for the different 'paper 747s' I noticed that Revell quote the length and wingspan for thier 747-400 as 490mm x 462mm on all the different versions except the Edforce One which they list as 490mm x 446mm, so the question is which set of dimensions are correct for the model supplied? 

By my reckoning a 144 scale 747-400 should be 491mm x 447mm roughly to the nearest millimetre.

I am left wondering if I need to cut the wings down to get it correct or did Revell simply misprint the dimensions for years seeing as its the same old kit re-released several times? 

For anyone interested the scale dimensions for the 'paper 747s' are 747-500 = 529mm x 535mm,  747-600 = 590mm x 535mm, 747-700 = 590mm x 545mm, 747-X = 510mm x 485mm, 747-X stretch = 557mm x 485mm and last the 747-400Y = 500mm x 478mm. 

And yes, I have a fascination for the 747 in all its forms but especially the undeveloped what-ifs.

Update
  • Like 1

I'd say the the Revell span measurement is a typo and has been corrected in the latest release, I have seen this on various iterations of the Italeri C-130 kit, same plastic in each box but the measure change of one issue to the next.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Slightly off 747 topic, but has anyone built a 1/144 scale 777 or a 747-8 in flight and with wheels up have some surplus revell/zvezda 777/revell 748 wheels? I did try a post in the wanted section but have had no joy. I'm looking for one set of each?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anybody got a Revell BA 747-400 Landor decal sheet going spare? PayPal says that I need to spend money. I do realize that admitting to using kit decals will get me branded as a heretic.

Don't worry. I got impatient and went shopping at 26models.

• 2 weeks later...

Re the insides of the engine cowls they are a sort of a mouse grey going by the full size real ones I see daily at work even though they are for A320 Airbus, they can't be much different.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Paul J said:

Re the insides of the engine cowls they are a sort of a mouse grey going by the full size real ones I see daily at work even though they are for A320 Airbus, they can't be much different.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a cool job.

Is Mazda crystal white pearl mica a good match for the Virgin Atlantic's current colour (the manufacturer PPG call it and I quote "a 'high sparkle silver mica' reflecting 90% of light") which is a special mix? Or should I be looking for an Old English white? I always found OEW looked like a dirty white to me. And, yes I know that I need a mica finish. And yes I know about Hannants who are out of stock on one of the two colours you need to use Xtracolour paints, which always seems to be the way.

Update

• 6 months later...

Is it me, or are the Zvezda 747-8 engines and pylons more accurate than the Revell ones? There just seem to be a lot of little differences that make them look more accurate but that just might be me not looking at the right reference pictures.

Is it me or are the Revell 747-8i wheel/tyres  slightly undersized? I have a Zvezda 777 which is donating its landing gear to my 747-600 and the wheel/tyres are slightly bigger. From what I have read in the past is that Boeing used the 777 wheel/tyres for the 748 so they should be the same, or is it that the 777 has oversized wheel/tyres?

• 2 months later...

Hi Mate

Can't answer your last question, but I'm surprised nobody has chirped-up on your previous requests.

On 747 & 777 wheels, the 747-8 and 777-300ER both have same wheel size (52inches) against 50inches on 747-400ER. If you need detailed data on wheels you can download the Goodyear Tire Databook here https://www.goodyearaviation.com/resources/tiredatabook.html - click on the 'Application Charts' link to see Commercial Aircraft data.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Timo thanks for the info. I knew already that the 777 and the 747-8 shared wheels and tyres but the question was related to the Revell and Zvezda kit wheels and whether they are over or under sized. I now have both Revell and Zvezda 747-8i wheels and Zvezda 777-300ER wheels and all 3 are different, one of them should be correct but which one? I should be able to check with the chart you have supplied.

On 3/10/2021 at 1:09 AM, Abandoned Project said:

Seeing as my last two questions went unanswered I have decided to ask a question that should stimulate an answer, possibly. Would a VC-25 747-8 in wraparound camo be wrong?

Yes, it would be wrong in the sense that none is known to exist in that scheme (and I seriously doubt that a spec for such a scheme exists, because the 747 is so large that camo can’t hide it and the paint would be a colossal weight penalty), but no, it’s not wrong, because it’s your model and you can build/ paint it however you wish.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

I seriously doubt that a spec for such a scheme exists, because the 747 is so large that camo can’t hide it

Well the USAF tried with the C-5 Galaxy, they used European 1 scheme.