Greetings from Alberta, Canada

PatsyTy

Good evening everyone!

I'm glad to introduce myself as a rookie to the modeling community. I have gone ahead and made my first model purchase ever, a Canuck Models CF-18. As I am writing this, I am waiting for the glue on my first assembled component to set! Not surprisingly, before I even began assembling the kit I realized I have many questions. 

Being a Canuck, I am mainly interested in Canadian military equipment in 1:72 scale. I would like to try to keep vehicle and aviation models of the same scale which I realize should be a good challenge, especially with a military that is less popular for modelers than our U.K and American brethren. 

Aside from my new interest in modeling, I am completing a bachelors of science in physics, and enjoy hockey, guitar and skiing. 

I'm excited to learn from the members here, and share what I manage to complete!

As a bonus, I do have a question right away. The CF-18 has a signaling light on the pilot's left below the cockpit that is not present in the American F-18. The Canuck model includes the clear plastic signal light, however there is no hole in the fuselage for the light to be inserted in. The kit states that I must cut a hole myself. For a plastic model, what would be the best way for me to cut the hole in the model? The diameter of the hole would be quite small, however I believe that I could use a small pilot hole drill bit to do the trick. What are the expert's recommendation?

Thanks again everyone! 

Welcome along to the forum. We're all mad here. Don't run away like that... stay around until you catch it too and then it won't hurt any more.

Holes - best bet is a pin vice and a set of micro drill bits. Make a small starter hole where the centre is, then go up in sizes until you get to where you need to be. You may need some larger bits too, 1/16, 1/8 etc. These you can turn by finger pressure if need be. Try your local hobby shop for the pin vice and small bits, failing that, electronics supply shops often have the same sets too.

Start a thread in the relevant sub-forum, and let us know how you get along. It also makes it easier to help if we can see the issues in living colour.

Enjoy yourself, this can be a fun hobby!

Thanks Rob! I have created a wip thread for my multitude of questions. Hopefully I can make it out to a hobby store today to get a pin vice and a handful of other supplies.

Canadian Pirate, nice to meet you! Glad there are other Albertans and Calgarians here, I'm originally from Calgary as well.

If anyone is interested in helping me with my build, I'll be updating everything here.

Thanks again!

Check the kit carefully. It may be that there's an alternate part with the hole already opened, or it's possible that the hole is flashed over, and only requires you to remove the excess plastic from the inside. Model kit designers very often do this to allow for multiple variants to be made from one set of moulds.

If it isn't there at all, then you'll need to measure the location carefully, and then drill it out. Your idea of a pilot hole will work well.

Greetings from the Left side of those big rocks over there :)

Welcome from the crispy over-toasted part of Northern Alberta.

It might be helpful to invest is a set of micro files. These usually include a round one that tapers to a point. Useful for inlarging holes.

Chris

greetings from the northern but not crispy part of the province :).

Not sure which hobby shops you have local or if you're relying upon the internet for purchases but it's amazing what you can find at places like Dollar store for supplies (clothes pins, nail files for sanding, sponges for masking etc...)

foresterab

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, foresterab said:

greetings from the northern but not crispy part of the province :).

Not sure which hobby shops you have local or if you're relying upon the internet for purchases but it's amazing what you can find at places like Dollar store for supplies (clothes pins, nail files for sanding, sponges for masking etc...)

foresterab

No hobby shops up here. The best we have is Walmart and it blows dead bears. Nada in the Dollar store. I do buy online, mostly from Hannants in the UK, as their shipping is cheaper and faster than Squadron's. I have used West Coast Hobbys once and it's quite good. I used to shop in Edmonton if I was in the area but the shops there have gone downhill, in my opinion, regarding 1/72 kits. It's all mostly Revell and 1/48 or larger. Makes a man want to drink heavily.

Chris

Thanks for the help everyone! Just came back from a bit of a shopping spree. Picked up the paints required for my kit, a pin vice, some seam filler, brushes, lacquer, along with some Staples items for my workstation. Unfortunately, I did not realize how small the pin vice pieces are and I don't believe they'll work for the size of hole I need. No micro files at the hobby store either, so I may need to order one.

Dogsbody, if you're ever in Calgary for any reasons check out ModelLand, they have a whole wall of 1:72 aircraft. 1:72 vehicles are more scarce, however, they do have some 1:72 WW2 tanks and such.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, PatsyTy said:

Thanks for the help everyone! Just came back from a bit of a shopping spree. Picked up the paints required for my kit, a pin vice, some seam filler, brushes, lacquer, along with some Staples items for my workstation. Unfortunately, I did not realize how small the pin vice pieces are and I don't believe they'll work for the size of hole I need. No micro files at the hobby store either, so I may need to order one.

Dogsbody, if you're ever in Calgary for any reasons check out ModelLand, they have a whole wall of 1:72 aircraft. 1:72 vehicles are more scarce, however, they do have some 1:72 WW2 tanks and such.

I will also vouch for Model Land. THe will power one needs in that store is off the chart.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Now that I'm retired, I just may get down to Calgary a bit more often. The missus and I want to do a bit of travelling, now that our old and ill little dog has passed on.

Chris

Sorry about your pooch's passing, I'm a dog person myself as well. Not sure how long your drive is, but hobbyland is a good time. Not a huge store, more so a hole in the wall. They manage to cram a whole lot in there though. Just eyeballing, they have just about every RCAF plane in 1:72 in there which excites me a great deal!