1/72 HASEGAWA BOEING B-47E STRATOJET

adey m

I never saw the Frog B-47, the first one I made was this Revell 1/113 one

298022101.jpg

These were stationed at Chelveston near me so I got the Hasegawa one too to make 31963 of the 301st Reconnaissance Wing at Chelveston, 1959.
410714174.jpg

and I have another in the stash I'm hoping to convert to an RB-47 or a B-47E.

I shall follow with interest

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Adrian,

you room is artfully done, inasmuch as one cannot see the permanent scaffolding and crane needed to go and collect the B-36 in its corner for dust removal from time to time... 

Is this B-36 a 1/48 model, God forbid?

Nice modelling space.

JR

Hi Jean, 

the B-36 was the 1/72 Monogram one............it was a real challenge taking it to model shows.......it took up the whole boot of the car....................and I had to remember to tilt it on its side when going through door openings.....................

regards,  Adrian

• Haha 1

On 26/02/2017 at 09:53, Ratch said:

I never saw the Frog B-47, the first one I made was this Revell 1/113 one

298022101.jpg

These were stationed at Chelveston near me so I got the Hasegawa one too to make 31963 of the 301st Reconnaissance Wing at Chelveston, 1959.
410714174.jpg

and I have another in the stash I'm hoping to convert to an RB-47 or a B-47E.

I shall follow with interest

Hi Ratch

thanks for your interest. I have visited the site of RAF Chelveston and it is so hard to imagine that RB-47s and RB-66s were based there.

http://www.chelveston-renewable-energy.co.uk/images/Airfield%20History/5a.JPG

EB-47E from 301 Bomb Wing and Trash Bin at RAF Chelveston in 1958. I love the red drop tanks............

regards,  Adrian

Edited by adey m
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

My meagre offering. My decals fell apart.

2013-05-27133835_zps4d62f91d.jpg

That is no meagre offering bentwaters........that is beautiful............it makes me want to build one..................

regards,  Adrian

• Like 1

resized_5d6b2106-4226-4e0b-9470-97a8ed4b

So here we go.........let's get back into it.............

resized_32d61623-8253-4ace-a032-841c0eb8

The other side of my B-47 factory........major component and final assembly area...................F-89 Scorpion on the apron.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 5

resized_bd26ff41-09cb-4856-a088-74b4bcbb

resized_e0b7bcf2-e324-4481-841a-12d9593a

Cockpit floors and bulkheads in place. Note the sloping crawl way down to the navigator's position in the nose.

Ejector seats came from a Revell Voodoo. Rear guns remote sighting panel in position. Nose compartment windows have been cut out and glazed.

• Like 6

resized_7d088db5-dfd1-460f-a1fb-3e516747

A sketch I made of a B-47 ejector seat.............probably when our printer went on the blink.

resized_c8e1424a-9f87-444f-bae9-02370999

The copilot's seat swivelled round so he could sight and operate the remote-controlled defensive rear guns.

resized_a0e9ffb9-321e-435c-be94-e4ef028c

okay let's try the flying positions for size..............

resized_e39e66bd-872c-4719-9219-7310ab52

let's try the swivelling seat and gun sighting panel..............

so which one looks like James Stewart.............................

• Like 13

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/b-47_cockpit_engine/images/b-47_cockpit_engine_02_of_27.jpg

Here is the copilot's defensive guns operating panel and sighting scope..................thankyou Jari

Note the different green colours used in the B-47 cockpit.

Edited by adey m
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Finn said:

Some more interior pics, mainly of the cockpit:

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/b-47_cockpit_engine/

Jari

Thank you Jari

these colour photos of a preserved B-47 cockpit show so much detail in close up and also the important colours used to decorate the crews' office.

regards, Adrian

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/b-47_cockpit_engine/images/b-47_cockpit_engine_01_of_27.jpg

B-47 copilot's panel.  Note the black painted roll-over support bar.

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/b-47_cockpit_engine/images/b-47_cockpit_engine_06_of_27.jpg

B-47 front pilot's panel with a view bottom left down into the navigator's position.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2017 at 4:13 PM, TheBaron said:

I've been stalking one of these for a while Adrian so look forwards to living vicariously through your build. I enjoyed the gallery of box art at the beginning - a really nice idea. Did you see the old James Stewart movie Strategic Air Command at all? There's a lot of evocative shots of the period in that, including B-47s.

Good luck with this!

Tony

It is available on BluRay now.

• Like 3

I have been trying to find pictures of the extended flaps and the area that is revealed of the wing when they are extended. Would you have any or be able tp direct me to some.... I want to do this kit with flaps operated. Thanks.

Bendinggrass, here are a couple that may help some:

B47001a-vi.jpg:

Next one is factory assembly. Dark things in lower left hand corner are bottoms of wings showing flap area:

BI210068-vi.jpg

Hope that helps.

Looking good so far, Adrian!

Ed

Edited by TheRealMrEd
typo
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Bendinggrass said:

I have been trying to find pictures of the extended flaps and the area that is revealed of the wing when they are extended. Would you have any or be able tp direct me to some.... I want to do this kit with flaps operated. Thanks.

b47e72rh_13.jpg

The following photos are of a beautiful B-47 build by Roger Hardy.

b47e72rh_6.jpg

b47e72rh_7.jpg

Hasegawa Kit No. 02120 - B-47E by Roger Hardy: Image

Hope these help and inspire Bendinggrass. Photos and model by Roger Hardy.

Adrian

Edited by adey m
  • Like 9

Lovely work in and around the cockpit Adrian. :thumbsup2: I'd always wondered how those rear defensive guns were sighted - radar rather than an optical system? Having read a couple of accounts of incursion flights they don't always seem to have been 100% reliable.

Tony

• Like 1

Exceptionally fine work. I have the charming little Academy 1/144 offering (thanks to a particularly estimable BM member!) and a few decent references, including an Osprey book that I picked up in a local Blue Cross shop for half of nothing! But...I dream constantly of having the stones to pitch against the bigger Hasegawa beast -your interior work is truly inspirational! :popcorn:

• Like 1

I am tremendously enjoying watching this build.

And I am also very grateful to the kind people who provided resources and images to help me learn more about the flaps 

of the B-47. This is one of the most beautiful planes ever built.

Thanks, everyone.

Randy

• Like 1