Problems with thinning Xtracolor Paints

lunch box

Hey Folks,

I've been using Xtracolor paints for the first time. The problem is that the colour didn't really cover up. I've mixed it in a match of 50/50 with their own thinner.

This is the result:

#IMG_0053_zpsobhxdmh6.jpg

thank you

for upcoming replies

Edited by lunch box

Never had a problem, mix well for at least 3 minutes with a battery stirrer, thin 50:50 with Xtracolor thinner, give the resultant mix the glass jar swirl test and if OK airbrush in thin coats at around 20 psi. Below is my 1/32 Yak 1b.

AC%20Yak%201b%20build%2072_zpswesojrlz.j

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

I do several thin coats normally I'll give say the starboard wing a thin coat and move on to the port wing and then the fuselage and then the tail, I keep on doing this in thin coats until I am happy with the coverage, I normally airbrush near a window so I can see the paint go on the model, it should look "wet" but be careful not to get runs.

It normally takes a while to get good coverage on a model, I normally model in 1/32 scale so the kits are quite big but I still finish in one session, except when I airbrushed my 1/32 scale He 219 !

Stirring the paint well before use is the key though, as the paint pigments are very fine, if you put the thinned paint into a small glass jar and swirl the paint around it should leave a solid colour on the glass but it should drain down quickly as well.

I'm far from an airbrush expert but I hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

I agree with Dennis. The ratios of paint to thinner sound good for Xtracolor, but the photo of the model looks like you maybe went too heavy too quickly with one coat?

I do exactly as Dennis describes, but the very first coat I apply is a very light dusting which starts to flash off quite quickly and gives the subsequent (thin) coats something to grip.

Just like Dennis, I work in good light with thin paint and just keep moving round the model. When I've finished, I go back to where I began.

The key for me is that thick paint doesn't cover much better than thin paint. It will in areas but it's always patchy. Thick paint has a lot of oil to cure through though whereas the thinners in thin paint dries fast. In summary, although it can seem counter intuitive you'll get a good even coverage quicker in the long run by going thin, applying lightly and just keep moving. I'll often blow air at satin or gloss colours in a faux coat without paint flow if I want to accelerate it tacking so I can apply more; a dual action airbrush is necessary for the last bit though.

Keep at it. Xtracolor is good stuff and it'll turn out fine in the end :)

• Like 1

I thin all my enamels (Humbrol, Xtracolor, Model Master, Colourcoats) with a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and xylol and never have a problem. Some colors, however, can take several coats to achieve an opaque coverage, and this includes white. The best white I have found is Tamiya's Fine White Primer. It comes in a rattle can, but I decant it for spraying through my airbrush.

• Like 1