Bandai: TIE Advanced x1 – .72 Scale

Hello there and welcome to my little build log. 

Last week I received this small but beauty Bandai model kit of Darth Vader’s personal TIE Advanced x1. At first, let’s have a look into the box.

The boxart is as usual a stunner. I like this very classic yet elegant style of the box. The typographic mix of japanese and the serif font make it pretty interesting.

32962521521_c17c012d99_b.jpg

Yay! This looks great, several sprues well packed. I’m pretty sure this will be fun.

32933408442_dedf84f2c5_b.jpg

Sprue A1

Mainly parts for the outer hull like the cockpit and the rear wings.

32274354893_0c9a06755b_b.jpg

Sprue A2

Parts for the cockpit, canopy, and machine.

33047598136_95ebab5a76_b.jpg

Sprue B

The wings in so called “multicolor molded” technique. Bandai invented it to create parts with up to four different colors in one single sprue. Also there are some transparent parts of the canopy and window.

Sprue C

Vader himself in .72 scale. Good details and it’s cool that Bandai provides us with a seated and a standing dark lord of the sith.

32933408072_72504977fc_b.jpg

Sprue SWB2

The base with a deathstar looking surface. Compared to the newer kits, this surface looks a little bit simple. 

33047597906_5d8cdb9740_b.jpg

Sprue SWE1

To laser beams in a neon transparent look. Coold idea if you want to simulate a TIE fighter in full action.

32933407692_486d14bfc5_b.jpg

Decals

Bandai provides us with two different kinds of decals. Classis water applied ones with pretty good details and for beginner there a stickers. I like the idea to satisfy both type of modellers. Skilled ones and those who are start building their first kits.

32933407932_d4d6dc85b3_b.jpg

Instructions

Last but not least – the instruction. They’re completely in japanes but don’t worry the illustrations are pretty exactly so no words needed at all. It seems that Bandai remarked that the kits are more and more sold in Europe and the States so newer kits are in english and japanese.

32933408272_bffcfeb103_b.jpg

All in all everything looks great to me. Very fine molded parts, a well structured instructions booklet and a pair of very nice Darth Vader figures.

Just to let you know: I ordered this kit through Tokyo Model Detective. It was the first time I ordered a kit over there. Darren is a very nice guy and provides a good service but as Andy already told in his TIE Striker build log (beautifully build by the way) you get two invoices. The first is about the model kit itself and a second one for the shipping costs. I have do pay approx. 13 Euro for the kit and 16 for shipping. I didn’t expect that shipping will cost that much. But to be honest, the delivery time was super fast. It took 8 days from order to delivery. Usual I buy the kits via amazon and it takes up to three weeks but in overall it is much cheaper.

So I you want to receive you kit very fast and money is not that important for you I recommend you TMD otherwise if you are more patient you better go with amazon.

I’m already building this little beauty and provide you with new pictures this weekend. :)

May the force be with you! 

• Like 4

You beat me to it, this kit has just come to the top of my to do pile as well.

It is a very nice kit and I have the Greenstrawberry Photo Etch set as well.

I've used TMD several times and the service is very good, if you want the slow boat from China (sorry Japan) style delivery he will do it and that brings the price down.

Exactly @Madmonk this kit is a lovely little one. I also got the Greenstrawberry parts. They’re awesome. :)

So, my process so far.

I’ve starte with the cockpit and used the Greenstrawberry parts to give it more detail. 

32987351181_ffdb0bf950_h.jpg

Especially the seat profits from the detail set. As you can see there is a new backset and the flight instruments are fully rebuild. I like the result. Just in case you wonder about the small drilling hole, it’s for my the internal lighting. :)

32731600420_b58539cbb8_h.jpg

Next step is priming the parts with Mr. Metal Primer

32987354891_fb73e85a98_h.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 6

Hello there!

had the time on sunday to proceed with my build and primed the cockpit.

My primer of choice is Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 in black. The finish is smooth and the adhesion is perfect.

32772951580_2a3acccf9b_h.jpg

32772948670_359257c297_h.jpg

32772947690_1114dc319c_h.jpg

Will try to proceed within the next days. Hope you like it.

Thanks for watching! :)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Finally I’ve managed to find some time on the last weekend to proceed with my build.

In general I’ve painted, weathered and finished the cockpit.

At first I figured out what colors I want to use and decided to give it a more dark grey tone with details in medium grey and black.

32956303890_a6f7c9928b_o.jpg

The cockpit was painted with Tamiya XF-24 with a ratio of 70% Tamiya lacquer thinner. The black primer should still be visible and works as some sort of pre shading.

32496194204_c266c9ee31_o.jpg

Details where painted with Citadel Abanddon Black and Mechanicus Standard Grey. And sealed with two thin coats of Tamiya X-22 Clear.

32956303810_f0c93d8994_o.jpg

At least a wash with Citadel Nuln Oil helped to bring every detail to life and enriched to overall look. Finally I used Vallejo Matt Varnish.

32496194064_be75521cff_o.jpg

32496194144_f31dbd952e_o.jpg

32496194274_d1c44d96fa_o.jpg

32496194484_c12a693b42_o.jpg

I hope you like the result. Next thing is to give the outer hull a well primed surface. :)

Cheers!

Edited by theguardant
  • Like 6

Looks like a great start. I agree with Andy that photo etch really adds to the cockpit but my experience of building the regular TIE is you cant really see into the cockpit once completed. I'm interested to see how your lighting goes and if it fixed the issue. 

Quick questions from a beginner that's not used photo etch. Do you have to use metal primer? Is the process: metal primer - regular primer - paint?

Where did you buy the photo etched parts?

thanks. 

Edited by BrotherMole
  • Like 1

Thanks for your kind words @AndyRM101, it’s a honor to get them from you. Because your works inspired me a lot.

@BrotherMole Thanks for your compliments, I agree with you that the PE parts gives the cockpit the special flavour. Unfortunately you are right, you can't see that much into the cockpit after it’s completed. But it was pure fun to build it. :)

You can buy the parts from Greenstrawberry. They are very cool guys with a great support. 

I wrote a review about the parts here: http://www.theguardant.com/review-greenstrawberry-tie-advanced-x1-detail-set/

To answer your question: You don’t have to prime your metal parts if you are using a primer. Especially small parts like hooks or something that kind of. But I like to be secure and give the parts first a coat of Mr. Metal Primer.

@Hunter Rose Thanks to you. :) Will update it soon!