A1-H Skyraider, Flying Dragon, Special Op`s

Hi everyone,

Just finished the Monogram 1/48 Skyraider that I originally bought to enhance my attempt at the old Matchbox kit, but which I decided to build instead.

yNU4AE1.jpg

Finished to represent an A1-H from the period between the colourful Counter Insurgency Grey and the eventual adoption of the standard USAF SEA camouflage

aTLos5x.jpg

In the markings of the 516th F.S., DaNang Air Base, Republic of Vietnam, 1966-67 and used for Clandestine Special Operations ( as described in several references but what they were is not made clear )

81XoNmx.jpg

Inspiration for the scheme came from Osprey Combat Aircraft No 97 which gives a side profile, so spent a fair time searching on Google and in books where it became apparent that.....

lRrLgIN.jpg

....the schemes weren`t standard at that time and differed from aircraft to aircraft and Squadron to Squadron, they weathered rapidly almost to the point that the original grey was showing through.

qinwWF7.jpg

Anyway, it`s mostly from what`s in the box, except replaced the kits dodgy fire bombs and undersized inner pylons, reworked the antenna layout to suit a VNAF aircraft.......

qhO8JOm.jpg

and decals came from the remains of a Cutting Edge Decal Sheet.

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 73

Russ !

Once more you built a Skyraider!!

Once more it is a wonderful Skyraider!!!

Would you be so kind and tell us how many Skyraiders you ever built?

You really are the King of the Skyraiders, and I can say that I love your models very much.

FANTASTIC work; Great job.

Bravo. Polo.:clap::worthy::clap2:

• Like 1

Superb "Sandy" Russ always one of my favourite aircraft I have a navy schemed Monogram kit which is the only build I kept

from my first spell in modelling still up in the loft.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, polo1112 said:

Russ !

Once more you built a Skyraider!!

Once more it is a wonderful Skyraider!!!

Would you be so kind and tell us how many Skyraiders you ever built?

You really are the King of the Skyraiders, and I can say that I love your models very much.

FANTASTIC work; Great job.

Bravo. Polo.:clap::worthy::clap2:

Hi Polo, My name is Russ, I think I`m addicted to Skyraiders........................:smile:

Seriously though, I think I have built about 14 of which I think there`s 7 still in existence including the 2 recent ones and I`ve still 1 Tamiya A-1J and 1 more Matchbox A-1E in the stash.

Thanks very much for your kind words and very glad you like them. Appreciated

• Like 2

Beautiful Skyraider with unusual color scheme. Haven´t seen it before but reminds me of the Ali cat scheme of Iranian F-14s somehow... Should be difficult for you to build a grey O-2A since you have started Skyraider mass production:)

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

Fabulous model and photography Russ.

The Skyraider is such a mean looking machine too. I've always fancied doing one. Would you be able to recommend a kit in 1/72 scale?

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Russ,

Great looking Skyraider it's one of my favorites , love the way you have painted and weatherd her :goodjob:

I have been lucky enough to have been up close to a Skyraider on many occasion and they are big beast reckon you could get four fully equipped troops in the back !! Be great to see the Kennet one flying again once it's engine is sorted :D

All the best

Guy

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, IanC said:

Fabulous model and photography Russ.

The Skyraider is such a mean looking machine too. I've always fancied doing one. Would you be able to recommend a kit in 1/72 scale?

Ian

Thanks Ian, you haven`t much choice I`m afraid, the Hasegawa one is the best of the single seaters and there`s only the very old Monogram one for the A-1E which has been reissued on occasion by Revell. The Airfix and Heller one is OK if can`t find anything else I guess.

Hope this helps, cheers Russ

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reini78 said:

another nice addition to you collection :goodjob:

How many Indochina/Vietnam models do you have now?

Hi Reini, I`ve 65 of them at the moment, I think I`m going to have to have a cull soon as I`ve still a few in the stash to do.

Cheers and thanks for looking, Russ