X-15 1/48

Notty

Not sure if maybe it belongs in the Space section, and for me the coolest flying machine ever made.  It was the mount of my childhood heroes; ex-WW2 aces and budding Apollo Astronauts.  It still holds numerous unbroken records including the highest powered manned aircraft flight (102,000 feet, 6.72M!).   For a straightforward shaped thing it wasn't the easiest fit kit in the world, but I'm happy with the result.   The decals are ridiculously thin and some were partly sacrificed to the Micromesh when policing away my less than mirror smooth initial finish.  Oh well.  Hope you like it.

121DF36D-4840-4EE4-9743-F4296E737DDC_zps

BE2E60BC-3EEB-4967-8263-683B6591C961_zps

8934235A-AF34-4E59-8D4D-7EC0BC652BCD_zps

725B8343-3750-4094-9AB5-C775866FDEA6_zps

• Like 43

A fantastic model of an emblematic flying machine.

Also for me it was a very exciting aircraft, with all the records it broke.

A companion of my youth; I'm born in 1951.

Great job !!!  :clap2:

:wow::goodjob::wow:

On 23/02/2017 at 8:20 PM, Notty said:

It still holds numerous unbroken records including the highest powered manned aircraft flight (102,000 feet, 6.72M!).  

I'm pretty sure that it was intercepted and overtaken by a Lightning from 11 Sqn though... :D

Lovely build!

GJ

• Like 2

Lovely build, and very nice finish to the black with the slight blue tinge of tempered Inconel-X, not like the green I ended up with. Don't worry about the markings, they took a beating during re-entry anyway so lets just say they are rolling it into the paintshop. BTW At the Edge of Space by Milt Thompson is a fine history of the X-15 program with just the right mix of info and anecdote, e.g. "Neil Armstrong was the third pilot to leave the program, in August 1962. He joined the NASA Astronaut Corps and then I lost track of him."  :lol:

• Like 1

A beautiful build with lovely finishing! They are a challenge to get perfect since every photo of the real aircraft seems to show something different.

I built the 1/72 SH kit and really should have stuck to the correct scale of 1/48 like yours.

Amazing to think this is designed, built and first flown in the 1950's! Staggering leaps of design and materials technology back then.

• Like 1

Lovely. One of my favourite aeroplanes. I built the old Monogram 1/72 a year or so ago.

The finish did indeed vary between flight because, like the Space Shuttle, the exterior colours were heat affected on flights with discolouration and damage to markings quite common.

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 22:01, General Jumbo said:

I'm pretty sure that it was intercepted and overtaken by a Lightning from 11 Sqn though... :D

Lovely build!

GJ

And there must lots of photos of her through the gunsight of a Spitfire, a Mk 24, of course :lol:

Corsaircorp

Great build! I love the X-15 too, I made the old 1/72 Revell one and have the 1/144 Dragon halfway done, plus the 1/200 B-52/X-15 combo by Dragon.

You can see 66671 at the Smithsonian in DC if you're ever there. I saw it in October - really cool.

A great build of a historically significant aircraft. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.            Bob H.