Small entry for Mega build- Airfix 1/72 Tiger Moth

gingerbob

Well, this morning I shot some spray-can green on the interior bits of my Tiger Moth, so I guess that means that it is officially started.  In my wildest fantasies (err, make that relatively tame fantasies...) I'd like to be done by April 2, which is when the next "local" contest is.  For normal people that would be simple, but I seldom claim to be normal.

My plan is to do a representative civil-paint example- I'll consult the rules to see how faithful I have to be.  I'm also aiming to stick as close to "Straight out of the Box" as I can manage, BUT this'll also be my first attempt at rigging a model.  I'm anticipating conducting pretty much the whole build through my magnifying desk lamp!

To prove that I didn't cheat:

Tiger%20sprues_zpsdaacodhg.jpg

bob

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 5

One of the interplane struts was broken on my kit- "torn" at the sprue nub, but still hanging by an edge. 

This morning I was trying to remove one of the cabane struts from the sprue and (foolishly) tried to push through the very thin join of one of those little "nubs" and, sure enough, I could see that strut buckle where I was trying to cut.

I've "fixed" both with liquid cement- push in place, dab some glue, check alignment- but I have little confidence in those things holding up while trying to rig, etc, assuming I can even get them off the sprue and in place without further breaking.  Grumble!

I managed to glue the seats on the "runner" yesterday, but need to give the interior another squirt of green, plus prep the instrument panels, etc.  I also refreshed my memory about the cowl "issue", and think I have a plan- per John Adams' advice, just a bit of a tweak, nothing too invasive.

Question for the mods: I see the "No What-ifs" rule, but is it alright if I paint it as a typical civilian-owned Tiger Moth (not trying to make any kind of "statement") without having to slavishly copy a particular registration?  In other words, if I hadn't said that, you'd never know the difference...

bob

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Question for the mods: I see the "No What-ifs" rule, but is it alright if I paint it as a typical civilian-owned Tiger Moth (not trying to make any kind of "statement") without having to slavishly copy a particular registration?  In other words, if I hadn't said that, you'd never know the difference...

Welcome to the GB. This looks like a very nice little kit.

With regards to your question, I'd say that's ok. The no 'What-Ifs' rule is directed more towards fictional DH aircraft or modifications that are made up. 

15 hours ago, gingerbob said:

I've "fixed" both with liquid cement- push in place, dab some glue, check alignment- but I have little confidence in those things holding up while trying to rig, etc, assuming I can even get them off the sprue and in place without further breaking.  Grumble!

bob

Fingers crossed for you Bob, although 1/72 bipe assemblies always seem to be surprisingly strong when glued together :)

Cliff

OK, assignment for today (in other words, haven't done it yet!):

1) perform cowling/fuselage mod (see newly added link in second post "John Adams' advice") - except the underside sanding will wait until fuselage is together

2) remove from sprue, hollow, and install the tiny little intake on the starboard cowl- without sending it into the lost-parts-continuum

2a) when that inevitably happens, fabricate replacement from something very thin and cooperative

3) put instrument panel decals on, give another squirt of green to the guts, oh yes, and think about faking some Sutton harnesses.

Wow, I'll have to try this approach more often!  Task 1, check.  Task 2, check, without having to resort to 2a!  (and green squirted, panel decals next)

bit_zpswsgwegrr.jpg

That little bit of plastic wastage in the middle?  That's actually part A4, and it attaches to the sprue on the front end (facing us), which is supposed to be open.  C'mon Mr. Airfix, really?  Considering the way the rest of the cowl is molded- one piece- you'd think they could have cast that in place.  Anyway, I managed to free it from the sprue, and then (after this pic taken) carve some semblance of a half-circle opening in the front.  Once it sprung onto my lap, and once nearly crawled under the computer keyboard.  I managed to talk it into staying in the slight recess (painted black in pic, with some sloppiness) long enough to drizzle it with liquid cement, which- to my surprise- didn't cause it to collapse like the Wicked Witch of the West (oops, spoiler alert!) into a puddle.  No doubt it is so well fixed in place that it'll remain there until I set down the model to call it done!

That bit of raggedness on the back edge of the cowl, by the way, is my attempt to correct (or rather, make less wrong) the part- in reality the top cowl stops forward of the front cabane struts, while the side cowl panels extend aft a hair to reach below those struts.  In other words, the notch should be where the piano-hinge line is, and go the other way.  A test fit makes me think that the slight mod will greatly improve the look of the nose... I hope.  Not the "back end butchery" shown here, but John's mod, more or less: I cut down the "corner" that meets the cowling's notch a bit, and had to delicately carve a bit of thickness where the top corner of the oil tank sits (port side)).  This allows the cowling to sit ever-so-slightly lower, so that the top is an unbroken line, not counting the reinforced stepping area, which I shaved off at the back.  It'll probably make more sense later, if I can manage to get a decent photo.

• Like 1

So, no pressure then, eh Col?

Well, I did in fact put the instrument panel decals on yesterday [reaches over to have a look...] that'll do!  There was a slight problem at one corner where the compass projects, but I could push the offending bit of decal down with a toothpick, and I'm confident that (not under magnification, and stuck in the hole) nobody's going to see it- especially me.  And I at least "thought about" Sutton harnesses, so I'm 3 for 3 for yesterday!  So... let's see if I can keep it going:

"Action this Day" (thanks, Mr Churchill!)

1. Do whatever I'm going to for the compasses (not covered by the decal) and dollop some shiny clearness for each instrument face
  2. Do more than just think about Sutton harnesses
  3. Paint bottom of sticks, and sidewall details, silver
  4. Drill holes for cabane bracing wires, and whatever other holes the fuselage needs for wiry things.
  5. Maybe, just maybe, get fuselage actually closed up?

Incidentally, I posted a link in the references thread back to the Tiger Moth GB (2015), and there are some wonderful detail photos of things like where the bracing wires terminate.  They're (mostly) bolted to external brackets, so I may try to simulate that, which will allow me to NOT have to destroy the kit in the process of trying to drill (perfectly angled) holes.  Even were I successful making holes, the thought of trying to hide the evidence afterward, on the nicely "ribby" wing surfaces (which will be silver)- did NOT appeal!

At the risk of offending some of you, I'm normally a 1/48, or when I really want to feel grandiose, 1/32, fancier  (1/24 is just silly, though I would happily make some exceptions).  I've been somewhat seduced by some of Airfix's recent things (Tiger Moth, Gladiator, Hurricane, with an "oh what the heck" Spit Mk.I thrown in)- I seem to like miniatures in general, so smaller but still "good" attracts.  But I couldn't begin to contemplate building these wee things without my desk lamp- my eyes are aging, and I've never been a micro-surgeon!  On the other hand, I'm finding that the smallness and (by necessity) "simplicity" has given me a refreshing "good old days" feeling of "Oh, what the heck- let's have some fun with this, not get bogged down, and see if I can't actually build a darned model!"  -while also taking advantage of the opportunity to try something new, like rigging.  I reassure myself that it'll end up being too small to make out all the shortcomings anyway, and if worst comes to worst, I'm not out much!  For those of you 1/72 modellers now feeling patronized, I will hasten to point out that I'm always amazed at the quality some of you manage on such a small canvas- I just never thought I could do the same.

As an example (which I try not to dwell on too much, lest it burst my mental bubble just explained):

26473401741_49e44fe784_b.jpg

The lovely Tiger by Will Vale. (WiP thread here)

bob

Edited by gingerbob

Oh dear, slipping already!  I did do some of my assignments yesterday, but ended up getting diverted to other activities.  I also realized that I need to try giving the sidewalls a "wash" to draw out some of the detail.  Another first, at least when it comes to intentional actions!

Well, I've just had an attempt at a wash.  It isn't pretty, and I learned some things NOT to do, but I think once I've cleaned up the worst it will do what I wanted it to do.  I'm leaving the side-doors closed, so when the halves are together you can't see that much anyway.  At least, that's what I'm counting on!  (I might manage some pics later)

18 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Well, I've just had an attempt at a wash.  It isn't pretty, and I learned some things NOT to do, but I think once I've cleaned up the worst it will do what I wanted it to do.  I'm leaving the side-doors closed, so when the halves are together you can't see that much anyway.  At least, that's what I'm counting on!  (I might manage some pics later)

Always worth trying something new even if the result is less than stellar as mine usually are Looking forward to your pics 

Martin H

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for checking!  I've been in a bit of a slump lately, but I keep staring at the bits on my desk (well, glancing at...) and I'm poised to clear the next hurdle and move on.  What I've got to do is drill the teensy holes for the cabane bracing wires and for the elevator cables.  Then I think I can button up the fuselage... I think!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No kidding!  I have nothing to offer but excuses- I've got plenty of those!  The parts sit on my desk giving me that sad-puppy look, which is usually irresistible.  Thank you for poking!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

No kidding!  I have nothing to offer but excuses- I've got plenty of those!  The parts sit on my desk giving me that sad-puppy look, which is usually irresistible.  Thank you for poking!

:lol: no problem! We are looking forward to seeing your progress.