RAF Sylt 1951

Britman

Brilliant pics,......I was trying to find pics from Sylt for years when I was preparing a book on the RAF in Germany,...... never seen one with a winch fitted before,.....I can feel a model coming on!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

20 hours ago, tonyot said:

Brilliant pics,......I was trying to find pics from Sylt for years when I was preparing a book on the RAF in Germany,...... never seen one with a winch fitted before,.....I can feel a model coming on!

Cheers

Tony

That's a new winch type for me.  I can't remember the type number for the winch used on, for example, the Meteor TT.20  or Defiant TT but the "windmill" was mounted on an arm projecting from the fuselage side.

20 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

A classic thats long gone . . . :pilot:

At least there is still a Tempest TT. 5 hanging from the ceiling in the Millstones Milestones of Flight hall at Hendon ('til they replace it with a plastic, hands-on, drone or some such).

Edited by stever219
More typos
  • Like 2

Like Tony, that's the first time I've seen a picture of an operational TT Tempest with the winch fitted!  The only pictures I'd seen were of the Boscombe Down trials aircraft.

I wonder how it handled with that fitted?  Most TT Tempests used a simple drogue dragged off of the runway.

Thanks for showing us those wonderful pictures.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Nice pictures. What colours was used for those aircraft?

Cheers / André

Standard RAF paints, ident yellow and black stripes for the undersides, ident yellow for the rear fuselage band.

The upper surfaces were painted aluminium (silver), not NMF. I read somewhere that the silver paint was applied over the original camouflage finish and ended up looking quite tatty, the problem is I only read that in one source and I don't know whether that only applied to the fighters/fighter-bombers and not the target tugs which were all reworked by Hawkers.

I'm away from my references right now so I can't say what the underside colours of the ailerons and elevators were.

Hopefully somebody can shed light on the questions in this post.

• 2 years later...