BTTF DeLorean 1/8 (Eaglemoss Partworks)

activexp

I've started this WIP a little late as the current issue is up to #11 so I'll begin with a recap of what I received in the previous issues. But first, as a subscriber you receive 3 'freebies', a full size Outatime number plate, a binder and a display base (yet to be received).

With every issue you get an ample supply of the required screws which is a good thing as they're easy to lose and judging by build threads elsewhere, easy to damage. One thing I've learnt from a Pocher Aventador build is to pre-thread the holes as this makes assembly much easier.

numberplate7_zpsksqasbv8.jpg

Sorry about the poor photo :(

binder8_zpsmj4m23tp.jpg

On with the build.

Issue 1 - Number plate,bumper and rear section including lights. A screwdriver with magnetised tip is also included.

back%20end1_zpstozkp0zm.jpg

Issue 2 - One front wing and a few other bits.

front%20wing6_zpsicnnb82z.jpg

Issue 3 - One of the wheels including the tyre, rim and hubcap. The second wheel in the photo is from issue 9

wheels4_zpsz26940oy.jpg

Issue 4 - Mr. Fusion chamber and reactor disc.

mr%20fusion2_zpssuxdvcs6.jpg

mr%20fusion3_zps41xas3kf.jpg

Reactor disc

f4dcf812-a236-4f85-bb60-3ffe134280fe_zps

Issue 5 - Left front suspension and brake disc.

Issue 6 - Right front suspension and brake disc.

Issue 7 - Steering rack linkage and front plate.

Issue 8 - Anti-roll bar, bottom plate and some other bits.

4192d0ae-0e17-4323-98cb-b56068a06cb3_zps

Issue 9 - Another wheel. Same as Issue 3.

Issue 10 - Chassis frame and another screwdriver with a slightly larger tip :)

The front suspension from issues 5 and 6 and steering rack from issue 7 are fitted to the frame.

chassis%20frame1_zpsnimelr18.jpg

front%20suspension2_zpstbj8flfa.jpg

front%20suspension3_zpsuxepmo1d.jpg

Issue 11 - Parts for the engine support plus connecting rods.

issue%2011_zps1erhyw5e.jpg

More to follow on this stage of the build.

So far I'm quite satisfied with the overall quality, fit and finish of the parts as one would expect for an expensive kit.

• Like 2

I posted this in the other thread before I realised it was duplicated and that this one actually has replies, so in case that one gets deleted I'll repeat myself lol.

This looks like a stunningly detailed kit. But everytime I look at those rear lights I just can't help thinking, it looks like a little matchbox toy. At this scale they should look life like and real. :(

Ashley

Hopefully the rear lights will look a lot better when illuminated.

tail%20lights1_zpsinx9roqu.jpg

More from issue 10, anti-roll bar and bottom plate from issue 8 fitted. 

antiroll%20bar2_zpsbzobnioa.jpg

The front wheels are also fitted at this early stage of the build which I'm sure will be a hindrance later on as they tend to flop about on their hinges. The magnets that hold them upright aren't very strong so I'll probably remove them for now.

front%20wheels3_zpsqthcnxhm.jpg

front%20wheels%20flat4_zpskzexovtk.jpg

Moving on to issue 11, parts for the engine support.

engine%20mount5_zpsapriijfa.jpg

This is how they go together.

engine%20mount6_zpszdd7hjqx.jpg

And fitted to the chassis.

engine%20mount%20ch7_zpsbrzm8nnx.jpg

That's all for now, back in a month with issues 12, 13, 14 and 15.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MetroRacing said:

The rear lights looks better in the recent pic. It must have been the image itself making them look toy like.

Ashley

Looks better in the 'flesh', it has to be said.

Steve 

Hey Steve,

I have seen these subscription kits before with boats and aircraft.  I was wondering about the cost of these kits.  The one I was looking at was outrageous in cost, (and details, square rigger ship).  I was concerned that the kit has just a few parts for each issue, and was designed to string a builder along to buy as many issues as possible.  Also it looks like to me that you receive just a few parts each time.  Not enough to keep a person busy for very long.  And then another months wait.  I'm wondering if these are produced "per order".

I can't see the scale, but I'm guessing it's 1/16, or 1/20?  It reminds me of the large scale Grand Prix race car kits from Japan.  How are you liking the details?  The photos make the details look a little soft.

Glad your having so much fun with this.  'cant wait to see more.

Rich

It's actually 1/8 scale - around 24" long.

Yes, they are mega-expensive in the long run, but they are also awesome superbly detailed kits.

I'm currently subscribing to this one, the E Type Jaguar and the Shelby Mustang.

If you're tempted - jump in!

Roy.

• Like 1

Rich, as Roy has said, they are mega-expensive and it's best not to think too much about the total outlay, only think about the monthly subscription, then it becomes more acceptable.

It's early days of the build so not much to show of what the kit has to offer but believe me it's going to be highly detailed, just like the real thing :)

• Like 1

Oh ya, 1/8, I just payed attention to the title.  The details look great from the web photos of the advert. I'm really interested to see how this will turn out.  I'm watching along to see.

Thanks, Rich

• Like 1

As others have said, these are big, detailed and expensive kits.  The price is spread over a couple of years which makes it more affordable. They are prefinished, usually clip and screw together so are an easy build, but not an immersive modelling experience. It suits some people, not others. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mark_1984 said:

As others have said, these are big, detailed and expensive kits.  The price is spread over a couple of years which makes it more affordable. They are prefinished, usually clip and screw together so are an easy build, but not an immersive modelling experience. It suits some people, not others. 

If you build them totally OOB, they aren't 'too' challenging.

However, there's scope at this scale to go potty with extra detailing.

I've built a couple of these huge car partworks although I like to save up all the parts and then build it at the end.

Depending on far you go with extra's they can be very immersive.

My Aston DB5 received a full leather interior, carpets, loads of engine detailing and new hand made Borrani wheels.

Like any kit, add what you wish.

• Like 2

It's part of the fun adding exta bits though.

It makes the end result more personal and individual.

However detailed any kit is, there's always room for improvement even if its just weathering, adding washes to the engine area or whatever.

Mind you, even built OOB, these things are pretty amazing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: Issues 12, 13, 14 & 15 received.

Issue 12 -  Parts for the left rear suspension.

issue%2012%2014%20parts_zpsvoof0evn.jpg

Issue 13 - Parts for one rear wheel.

issue%2013%2015%20parts5_zps5l7usyex.jpg

Issue 14 - Parts for right rear suspension.

Issue 15 - Parts for the other rear wheel.

The suspension parts from issues 12 & 14 assembled and mounted to the chassis. Left and right track rods are also included but will be used later.

issue%2012_zpscxykrrez.jpg

right%20rear%20susp6_zpsrikrosal.jpg

rear%20susp7_zpsj1iubqny.jpg

The completed rear wheels from issues 13 & 15

rear%20wheels8_zpsp0w86dbz.jpg

rear%20wheels9_zpswdemf9hr.jpg

chassis11_zps6bykztgq.jpg

Also received with this release, a bonus graphic novel.

graphic%20novel1_zpshk2udqlm.jpg

You're absolutely right. Since posting I've checked my account and noticed the £8.99 charge. This is unsolicited goods and have requested a refund.

Apparently I opted in to receive Specials, that's news to me. After some searching around the Subscribe page I found this:

"We will be releasing Special Editions to complement your collection. Subscribers will receive special issues at a special subscriber price (compared to the RRP). As a subscriber, we will contact you a month before the release to check if you want to receive the next Special Edition and inform you of the date payment will be taken. If you do not want to receive the Special Edition, you just need to let us know at this poing by email or phone and we will not send it to you."

What's annoying is that I never received an email to accept or decline the Special. I've made Eaglemoss aware of this and they've agreed to accept a return and refund, and set my account to opt out.

Did you have any trouble with fitting some of the parts in issues 12 & 14.  One of the Youtube blogers mentioned that the holes in the chassis were not deep enough (or the screws too long, whichever way you want to look at it !)

Yeah, parts in issues 12 & 14 were challenging to say the least. The long IM screws didn't want to pass through the holes on the brake disc so had to open them up with a needle file. In fact most of the holes were too tight. The right side parts in issue 14 were a little easier because I knew what to expect and pre-threaded the chassis holes which helped. Can't say I had any problems with the holes being too shallow or screws too long at this stage, unlike the floppy and wobbly front wheels! To cure that I used washers which did the job perfectly.