1/72 Airfix DC-3

Mike Esposito

DC-3s came in all shape and sizes. It's got to be remembered that the vast bulk of DC-3s were not, in fact, genuine DC-3s but military transport versions built during World War 2. A huge number of these were surplus after the war and were civilianised as passenger aircraft. The conversions to civil use were carried out by many different companies, as well as Douglas themselves, so the interior fits and seating arrangements varied massively. And, of course, over the 7 decades many DC-3s have been flying, individual aircraft have gone through many interior re-designs.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/05/2019 at 22:20, Moa said:

found this one online that shows an -I believe- unusual three lines of one seat, and an untreated interior. It was on my references file, so not sure from where I got it, though:

33987735288_636e93a473_m.jpg

Interesting photo. @Moa

Looking at the style of the passengers and the uniformity of shirts etc, that could be a plane with a military function. 

MATS or something along those lines maybe? 

I just picked up a couple of the Esci kits and sure enough one has the full seating interior, all in one piece. 

I rather like the look of them - the lines are a lot less engraved than the Italieri kit! 

The new Airfix product is well beyond any of them though, and ultimately I'm probably going to have to get one. 

The interior won't be an issue for me. 

I can't be doing with all this stuff that can't be seen. 

If the door is open and the back seats can be seen, then I'll stick in the back seats! 

Or a hostess in the doorway, blocking the view!! 

There's plenty of civilian cargo options too, South America, Caribbean, Canada and Alaska etc 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2017 at 11:52 AM, jyguy said:

As for aftermarket accessories for the Dakota I personally would like to see in 1/72 and 48th not only seats but Transair style landing gear doors and Engine cowlings with the gills open.Whilst in wishlist mode how about decals to build examples of Ruskin Air Services,Harvest Air,Northwest(G-AMPY circa '86)and Rig air aircraft?

Try a guy called Paul Parkes, put parkes682decals in your search engine. I have purchased Ruskin Air Services  both in 1/48th some time ago and 1/72nd which I purchased just a week or two ago.

Edited by bombercommand
Add extra information

Thank you for the suggestion bombercommand it could certainly open a Pandora's box in terms of decal expenditure 🙂 .

Yes your correct Tomo.Aces High who's C47's were used in the production of "Airline" had acquired the grounded Ex Lanzair L749 Constellation at Dublin for use in the second series that was cancelled for financial reasons.

Edited by jyguy

• 4 weeks later...