Revell F-14 tomcat 1/72 , finaly got my hands on this !

Karlo

10 minutes ago, Dermo245 said:

The bottom one of those three gets my vote!

Well i am still thinking betwen a bottom and mid one :D . Well in this scheme mid one has a bit to densely camo marks but i would make them a bit different onto model .

15 hours ago, Karlo said:

So second one is winner ? Oke then we gona build it that way

I think so also. The second one scheme will not be so difficult to do with the help of brush.

• Like 1

Okey guys i need to open my soul here ! Somehow i like idea of just ''regular'' tomcat. Gray shceme with a bit of Black and few detail. But on this scale 1/72 somehow when you look at model you more notice is it colorful or not. Most friends when entering my house throw eyes on models and always pick up my SU-27 because it has so nice blue colors that just stick and they look so nice. So , as tomcat is my favorit aircraft, i would also like to make him colorful to stick out. Some how i like desert colors but i am also maybe thinking of some jungle green camo with a Black parts and a bit of red details would be amazing. Like that colors just brings each other color out. So if anyone could give me some good jungle camo links on aircraft and what colors to combine i would be really greatful ! Sorry for my mistake English and hope to get your feedback soon, so i could buy colors soon, because shop ain't working on saturday ! Thank you !

Hello there !

After long time of exploring and doing some Research i finaly made one paint scheme ! It will be fun to do it with a brush !

Version%202_zpsrokwrrrj.png

As you can see i will use 3 tones of green and for a belly (bottom side ) i will use light blue gray. It is purpose of a camo. Hiding in jungle when looking from above and melting with sky when in the air. I hope you like this one as i do. Also i came up with a story for this ''what if'' model. Any feedback is welcome. Don't mind dark green on a side it will be better blended in when model is in proggres.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Karlo said:

Hello there !

After long time of exploring and doing some Research i finaly made one paint scheme ! It will be fun to do it with a brush !

Version%202_zpsrokwrrrj.png

As you can see i will use 3 tones of green and for a belly (bottom side ) i will use light blue gray. It is purpose of a camo. Hiding in jungle when looking from above and melting with sky when in the air. I hope you like this one as i do. Also i came up with a story for this ''what if'' model. Any feedback is welcome. Don't mind dark green on a side it will be better blended in when model is in proggres.

Interesting colour scheme. My personal preference has always been to stick to "historical" colour schemes based off of actual models. I am not aware if the F-14 every sported a green colour scheme, however, as this is a 'what if' version I could see the possibility of F-14s being used from other platforms that carriers during the Cold War that merit a green camo. In the early 2000s, I believe some American navy schools painted F-14s in a scheme similar to the SU-27 for training purposes, if you wanted a historical paint scheme that has more colour than the typical American grey it may be interesting.

3_16_b1.jpg3_16.jpg

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure whatever colour scheme you use, it will look great!

Edit: Managed to find an F-14 that used a green scheme on this site (bottom of page 2). Not many references, but may give some inspiration, and gives you the plane's unit and serial number if you want to use them for the decals.

3_28.jpg

Edited by PatsyTy
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, PatsyTy said:

Interesting colour scheme. My personal preference has always been to stick to "historical" colour schemes based off of actual models. I am not aware if the F-14 every sported a green colour scheme, however, as this is a 'what if' version I could see the possibility of F-14s being used from other platforms that carriers during the Cold War that merit a green camo. In the early 2000s, I believe some American navy schools painted F-14s in a scheme similar to the SU-27 for training purposes, if you wanted a historical paint scheme that has more colour than the typical American grey it may be interesting.

3_16_b1.jpg3_16.jpg

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure whatever colour scheme you use, it will look great!

Edit: Managed to find an F-14 that used a green scheme on this site (bottom of page 2). Not many references, but may give some inspiration, and gives you the plane's unit and serial number if you want to use them for the decals.

3_28.jpg

Thank you very much Patsy. Thing is i have seen that splinter camo and some other more, but i work with thined acrylics and when i use anykind of duck type just gets under it, so i try to avoid such thinga. That is reason why i didn't go with that camo. Also you can find cool Iranian splinter camo on tomcat, but it is still immposible for me to do nice lines without masking. I tested some electrical duck type. It is good but sometimes it peals off the paint.

17 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Duct tape isn't really suitable for masking. Try Tamiya tape.

Will do ! Finaly find a shop that sells tamiya tape ! If it will work i will do nice camo on this tomcat ! Thank you Ed

• 2 weeks later...

uper surface is painted ! I took a picture on sun so you can see how beatiful surface is looking ! No brush strokes at all ! Hope you gona like it. Upper color is FS 34424. Tonight i will use soft pencil to put camo trace on it. Shiny surface i got from using paper towel !

IMG_20170325_124232_zpstobebp3g.jpg

• Like 1

Adding two more photos ! Camo is going great ! Hope you gona like it ! Feedback and comment if you have something to add or to point me in another direction !

Wings folded !

IMG_20170325_175806_zpszoaefvtk.jpg

Wings wide open !

IMG_20170325_175815_zpsagxihyav.jpg

A bit blure photos, but i will add better one tommorow when i polish this camo a bit !

• Like 1

As promised two more photos. Hope you like it ! It may seem like a lot of work is done but now comes hard work ! Alot of details and precise painting. So i will update a bit slower. It was cahllengin to have a good looking camo with wings closed and opened. But i had alot of fun doing this work !

IMG_20170326_155857_zpsqlxcfuip.jpg

IMG_20170326_155922_zpsz57s5wvq.jpg

• Like 3

Oke here are some more photos. Black mask is hand painted without masking or anything so it is a bit '' not straight''. Working is proggresing. Hope you will like it, any feedback and comments are more then welcome. Still alot of work ahead !

IMG_20170329_175218_zpscxxdjks5.jpg

IMG_20170329_175522_zpsnt8zylod.jpg

IMG_20170329_174631_zps2qnbek1s.jpg

Edited by Karlo
  • Like 2

Well i am done with aircraft ! Now missiles, landing gear etc.... So i won't post here anymore, i will soon make a post in ready for inspection topic. So here are few photos before final presentation ! Made heavier weathering because it is tomcat , especialy tomcat in a jungle :o !

IMG_20170330_151808_zpsvh74abcq.jpg

IMG_20170330_151829_zpstyoibbvu.jpg

IMG_20170330_151754_zpsx3vkc0uv.jpg

• Like 2