Revell F-14 tomcat 1/72 , finaly got my hands on this !

Karlo

I do like and love Russian aircraft like mig 29 and su 27 and Eurofighter, rafale but my true love , my biggest love is F - 14 tomcat. So i went in Shopping with my girlfirend after houres og beging ( i rly do hate shoping ). So while waiting for her i visited müller and when i was just about to leave store a nice lady started to fill shelf with new scale models and then i have seen it ! So to cut this story short i was rewarded for agony and pain ! But now i need your ! As i am a brush painter i don't like idea to just paint model as it is on instruction sheet. Thing is i do love tomcats that are airbrushed and then get that worn out look, but i tested and i can't pull something like that with brush so i came up with this ''camo'' pattern. So i would like your opinion about it. When we get the camo done i will start to post build as it will develop over time. I will share much as i can, and show some tips i use for good result.

Thank you !

grumman-f-14-tomcat-6_zpsurmzuxqj.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ozzyman69 said:

Best wishes, so far so good. Good flight compartment & ejection seats too!

Thank you Ozzyman ! But this start to feel like i'm going off the rails on a crazy train !

IMG-20170226-WA0009_zpsyea3g1i2.jpeg

IMG-20170226-WA0007_zpsl6aygvtn.jpeg

Alot of putty was needed , also that silver paint is to see if there are any gaps that need to be closed. I like this models alot but it will need alot of work to get good result !

• Like 1

I am done with sanding and rescribing lines. Started with a painting. I enjoy it alot becuase model has raugh surface so paint sticks really good. This is a second layer of a base color thined with watter to ratio around 50:50. As you can see vertical wings are not asambeled yet so i can easly paint the rest. Also main wings will be painted later since, you can easly attach them at any time. 2 more layers will be done to upper part before i move to the bottom area. 

1488218553501795032166_zpsxyncdmfd.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, PatsyTy said:

Looks great! If you don't mind me asking, what size brush do you use for painting the body? Also, I'm assuming you used acrylic paints, correct?

I'll be following this closely, the build looks great so far!

IMG_20170227_222919_zpsbxtkxhup.jpg

This is my gear for scale modeling :D . It is not too much but i can mostly do all with that ! This one is pencil with needle in it, rly good for rescribing ! And when it comes to large surface i combine wide brush size 14 and 8 ! If you wish i will post you step by step how i paint using them, but is simple just small amount of paint on brush and do cross painting. One time you go in direction of air flow and second time you go from left to right. Betwen each layer i use toilet paper so smothen up surface. Press gently and do circular motions, it will give you rly great matt finish, since toilet paper is made a bit rough :D . It sounds funny but it Works ! As promised i will do small guide on wings. Hope this helped you a bit.

• Like 4

Looking good, your tan paint finish looks really good to me. That paint scheme looks like an Iranian one, also a US Navy aggressor in same scheme, just different national markings. I think it is a great scheme for one of these. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Karlo said:

IMG_20170227_222919_zpsbxtkxhup.jpg

This is my gear for scale modeling :D . It is not too much but i can mostly do all with that ! This one is pencil with needle in it, rly good for rescribing ! And when it comes to large surface i combine wide brush size 14 and 8 ! If you wish i will post you step by step how i paint using them, but is simple just small amount of paint on brush and do cross painting. One time you go in direction of air flow and second time you go from left to right. Betwen each layer i use toilet paper so smothen up surface. Press gently and do circular motions, it will give you rly great matt finish, since toilet paper is made a bit rough :D . It sounds funny but it Works ! As promised i will do small guide on wings. Hope this helped you a bit.

That's some great information, I would never have thought of using the toilet paper! I'm working on my first model, and am quite nervous about starting to paint the body of the plane, there's a lot of surface area to cover! If you put together a small guide I will make sure to bookmark it! Thanks again!

• Like 1

Ok the build is going fine i have a gap with phonix pylons but i will fix that when i seal whole model with clear.

IMG_20170228_131815_zpse4uluceq.jpg

And when it comes to painting i use vallejo acrylics. I recomend them to any brush user . And how i do paint is simple i just use palstic dinner plates as a working space to get densty of paint i want and to test it.

IMG_20170228_123443_zpsvdbqbvhg.jpg

So i after i get good densty of color i deep my brush into watter and then dry it a bit so it is moist not wet. Then i deep the point of a brush in a paint and remove exces so only bristles have paint on them. Be gentle with a brush when painting and try to use wide strokes. When i paint surface i try to divide it into few areas so i don't get overlaps with a brush. Thing is when you do one stroke you do next one close as possible to the First one and so you move over area trying not to overlap. When i cover area i let it to dry for 1 houre and then i use hair dryer to be 100% that First coat is dry.

IMG_20170228_124656_zpsfetbzgqy.jpg

IMG_20170228_123813_zpsqjq3kyi5.jpg

This is how the First coat looks like but it is thin so gaps will be closed with second one. When i do second layer i paint in opposit direction from the First one. For example i painted this from a left to the right of the wing, so the next layer will be painted from a tip of the wing to the bottom of it. Then again i let it dry for 1 houre and use a hair dryer.

IMG_20170228_131518_zpsosxkci3q.jpg

This is how a second layer looks like. But don't worry there are 4 more coats to go. But when i am done with 4/6 layers then i use toilet paiper to sand area and then two more coats and sanding with toilet paper again i will put results of 4 layers during day before and after sanding with toilet paper. This thingy for nail is mostly used for hard sanding. Also clean your surface good before you start to applaying paint in warm watter and dish cleaner. Just be patient and let your color time to cure.

And one more thing you can also paint camo with dry brushing, but you need to make two thin layer on top of your base color before drybrushing that i how i paineted this F-18. So you basicly do your base color then you make two layers or three dpeneding on a color you use ( darker need 2, lighter 3) . After you are done with that let it cure for 24 houres. Then you take a wide brush and deep it directly in color and then you wipe the rest of it on a kitchen towel. After that you just do fast but precise stroaks over your camo layer. Since you will have a tiny difference in high betwen your base and a second layer color will stick to higher one. This is result i got with drybrushing.

IMG_20170228_131842_zpsl5gip5kb.jpg

Hope this was usefull to you !

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Karlo said:

Ok the build is going fine i have a gap with phonix pylons but i will fix that when i seal whole model with clear.

IMG_20170228_131815_zpse4uluceq.jpg

And when it comes to painting i use vallejo acrylics. I recomend them to any brush user . And how i do paint is simple i just use palstic dinner plates as a working space to get densty of paint i want and to test it.

IMG_20170228_123443_zpsvdbqbvhg.jpg

So i after i get good densty of color i deep my brush into watter and then dry it a bit so it is moist not wet. Then i deep the point of a brush in a paint and remove exces so only bristles have paint on them. Be gentle with a brush when painting and try to use wide strokes. When i paint surface i try to divide it into few areas so i don't get overlaps with a brush. Thing is when you do one stroke you do next one close as possible to the First one and so you move over area trying not to overlap. When i cover area i let it to dry for 1 houre and then i use hair dryer to be 100% that First coat is dry.

IMG_20170228_124656_zpsfetbzgqy.jpg

IMG_20170228_123813_zpsqjq3kyi5.jpg

This is how the First coat looks like but it is thin so gaps will be closed with second one. When i do second layer i paint in opposit direction from the First one. For example i painted this from a left to the right of the wing, so the next layer will be painted from a tip of the wing to the bottom of it. Then again i let it dry for 1 houre and use a hair dryer.

IMG_20170228_131518_zpsosxkci3q.jpg

This is how a second layer looks like. But don't worry there are 4 more coats to go. But when i am done with 4/6 layers then i use toilet paiper to sand area and then two more coats and sanding with toilet paper again i will put results of 4 layers during day before and after sanding with toilet paper. This thingy for nail is mostly used for hard sanding. Also clean your surface good before you start to applaying paint in warm watter and dish cleaner. Just be patient and let your color time to cure.

And one more thing you can also paint camo with dry brushing, but you need to make two thin layer on top of your base color before drybrushing that i how i paineted this F-18. So you basicly do your base color then you make two layers or three dpeneding on a color you use ( darker need 2, lighter 3) . After you are done with that let it cure for 24 houres. Then you take a wide brush and deep it directly in color and then you wipe the rest of it on a kitchen towel. After that you just do fast but precise stroaks over your camo layer. Since you will have a tiny difference in high betwen your base and a second layer color will stick to higher one. This is result i got with drybrushing.

IMG_20170228_131842_zpsl5gip5kb.jpg

Hope this was usefull to you !

Thank you very much! Great walkthrough! Do you use a lacquer as a base at all or just paint straight onto the plastic?

Thanks again!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PatsyTy said:

Thank you very much! Great walkthrough! Do you use a lacquer as a base at all or just paint straight onto the plastic?

Thanks again!

Straight onto the plastic, but clean the surface !

• Like 1

Ok few more photos coming now. I will now leave model to sit over night for paint to harder, then i will add 3rd paint to the camo scheme. So far i am pleased but it will be much better when i fix shapes and sand a bit. Also i will dry brush darker areas for better result. Still alot of work to do, will loose alot of time for deatails and fixing some areas but this is just a basic shape until i polish to final finish . Hope you enjoy !

IMG_20170301_215609_zpsdeffcllg.jpgIMG_20170301_215648_zps9b7fslh1.jpgIMG_20170301_215722_zpswgxzltmk.jpg

• Like 2

I finished motel to some parts, but i was not pleases with result, i will now salvage model and start again, also will buy new color, this one ain't a good fit, so i will post model when i clean all color from it, it will take some time :)

8 hours ago, PatsyTy said:

Sad to see the model striped, however if you're not happy it's always better to start over! Any idea of what colour scheme you'll be going for?

Something bombastic ! I will post it during day !

• Like 2