The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

5 hours ago, rob85 said:

That's some very clever and very nice work!

Rob

Cheers Rob, thanks :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

You are always so inventive when it comes to finding solutions to problems! Clever modelling! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you, Stix! :thumbsup: I read about this trick of making a quick mold with foil and CA a while ago, I can't remember where - it seemed the right occasion to try that out :winkgrin: 

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

I was looking forward to a Monday update and was not disappointed - fantastic scratch work in play already!

Cheers Cookie, thanks! :thumbsup:  Not over yet, though, so there's still time for some mess up .... :banghead: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

Great work with the Milliput. Like you say it is quite brittle. 

I have recently discovered Polycraft Easyflo 60. It mixes very easily and creates a durable part that can be worked well....  But if spilled on jeans does tend to stain... Ask me how I know...

Edited by Leonl
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Leonl said:

Great work with the Milliput. Like you say it is quite brittle. 

I have recently discovered Polycraft Easyflo 60. It mixes very easily and creates a durable part that can be worked well....  But if spilled on jeans does tend to stain... Ask me how I know...

Cheers Leon, thank you :thumbsup:  Thanks also on the heads up on Polycraft Easyflo; I did a quick search and found it on Amazon, but is says" No sellers are currently delivering this item to Italy - Mainland " :( 

I'll keep an eye on that. As for stains from various modelling substances ... I think I know too .... :chair:  :D 

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's a very clever way to make some one neat shot moulds Giorgio, I shall try to remember that! :thumbsup:

Keith

Thanks Keith! :thumbsup:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

Great work Giorgio.

Super late to the party, hope you don't mind if I tag along? Brilliant mould work too. I'll half inch that myself.

Looking forward to see how you handle that camo.

all the best.

john

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great work Giorgio.

Super late to the party, hope you don't mind if I tag along? Brilliant mould work too. I'll half inch that myself.

Looking forward to see how you handle that camo.

all the best.

john

Cheers John, thank you and welcome on board! :thumbsup: You're not that late, you know: we're only at page 4 and I don't see this ending before at least page 20 (but I think I'm being rather optimistic here ... :banghead: )

Ciao

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Page 20?

That is when you start painting the smoke rings.

I suspect so ... :D:D 

43 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work Giemme, it`s great how one can re-cycle household waste (IE wine bottle foils ) for lots of jobs.

Plus you get to drink some wine :winkgrin:  :whistle: 

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi everybody; WE progress report, as usual, with quite some pics to show.

Since I had to do the process of molding the tail plane fairings all over again, for the C205, I thought of adding a few more details on how I did it.

dav

Foil held in place with tape, I used a q-tip and then a toothpick to conform it to the plastic fairing

dav

This time I used a mix of CA and talc powder, to give more rigidity to my "moulds" 

dav

Regular Milliput pressed in and smoothed with a wet spatula 

dav

I removed them from the moulds after they cured for a night, and started working on the tail plane receiving slots; one thing I did to avoid breaking the milliput is to glue them on a thin plastic sheet.

One of them did break anyway (on the right in next pic), so I had to do some repairs with CA and talc mix:

dav

After much filing and sanding, here they are glued in place and with some PPP to fill in any voids

dav

dav

I then went back to the C202 fuselage and started removing the kit fairings:

dav

dav

The cut leaves quite a rough surface, so i filled it in again with Ca and talc

dav

Same on the other half, here after some sanding:

dav

Tamiya tape for curves and a razor saw to reinstate the panel lines:

dav

and here we go

dav

Primer will tell if more work is needed. A quick dryfit of the two tail planes:

dav

dav

I was going to add a very thin plastic shim inside the fairings, on the surface mating the fuselage, but I'm happy with how they look already, so I'll just need to glue them in straight, when the time comes.

In the middle of all this, I started working on the C205 exhausts; the instructions tell you to remove the part marked in red, since the C205 stacks were longer than the C202 (different engines)

dav

A word of advice: don't remove all the plastic the instructions tell you, because you end up with a gap (see the dry-fit above)

dav

Starboard side looks much better, so I had to fill in port side exhaust aperture with some 0.5mm plastic card and CA:

dav

dav

Better now. Here's a tip, maybe useful: I used resin stacks, and once removed them from their casting block, I had to sand the back face flat. Since they're tiny, I used a blob of blue tack to hold them and gently press them against a flat piece of wood with sandpaper on top of it:

dav

That's it, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

I have yet to send you a few things on the 205, sorry about that... hope to be able to send today

No problem G, don't worry :) 

Thanks for your comment :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Lovey work. Cool idea with the fairings. Are you going to slightly alter their alignment when finished?

I'll be watching this thread, cause I have a 202 and a 205, and another 202 like this on...

hasegawa-macchi-c202-folgore-hitomi-yosh

...waiting on the Shelf.of Ode to Woe...

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Lovey work. Cool idea with the fairings. Are you going to slightly alter their alignment when finished?

Thanks Thom, yes that's the plan :thumbsup:  Interesting camo on that Macchi :D

Ciao

Thanks K! :thumbsup: 

11 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Another one of those 'why didn't I think of that?' moments!!

Happens to me almost each time I'm on Britmodeller ... :banghead:

Ciao

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Now that's what I call modelling.

That's a huge compliment, thanks John! :thumbsup:

21 minutes ago, Jaffajake said:

Proper job

Thanks Jaffajake! :thumbsup:

Ciao

10 hours ago, rob85 said:

So excited about how this will progress from seeing what you have done above! Love how you get absorbed in the detail.

Rob

Cheers Rob, thanks :thumbsup:  Sometimes I get too absorbed in the details ... :frantic: 

10 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Lovely work as ever Giemme.

Your see a problem and fix style makes for an interesting build.

Nice one with the Blu tack for holding small parts.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 1