The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Looking good G. 

The camo pattern is a tough one but you are doing great.

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks! :thumbsup:  Undoubtedly the most complicated camo pattern I tried to paint so far - will see if I can manage it to a decent result :frantic: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme

Excellent painting of a really, really tricky scheme.  About 50 years ago (almost literally) I built the ancient Airfix Sparviero kit.  The camouflage still gives me nightmares!

Bravo!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Airfix Sparviero kit.  The camouflage still gives me nightmares!

I bet it does! :frantic:

Thanks for your comment, glad you like it! :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 1

I'm still around 7 pages behind, but I had to scroll forwards to this painting step.

I'm pleased to see you using LifeColor :).

I really like them. They are superb for brush painting, but also very nice, with a little thought on thinners, as you've shown, with airbrushes. I'm pretty new to airbrushes, but using LifeColors' own thinners, they're quite forgiving.

I had hoped that there would be a big trick to the camouflage scheme. There is. It's called skill :D!

No way on earth could I manage this freehand, and I'd like to do it in 1/72 :o!

Great work Leonardo Da Giorgio; good luck for the next step :thumbsup2: .

TonyT

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TonyTiger66 said:

I'm still around 7 pages behind, but I had to scroll forwards to this painting step.

I'm pleased to see you using LifeColor :).

I really like them. They are superb for brush painting, but also very nice, with a little thought on thinners, as you've shown, with airbrushes. I'm pretty new to airbrushes, but using LifeColors' own thinners, they're quite forgiving.

I had hoped that there would be a big trick to the camouflage scheme, there is. It's called skill :D!

No way on earth could I manage this freehand, and I'd like to do it in 1/72 :o!

TonyT

Thanks Tony, you are way too kind :thumbsup: And there still is a good chance that I screw everything up; the last camo painting stage is the toughest, and I haven't made up my mind yet as how to do it; I'm considering using Tamiya paints, but only after a Future protective coat; or risking Lifecolor by Airbrush again, but I need an even better control that I what I got so far (and I bent my airbrush needle last night :badmood::chair: ). I'm even thinking of drybrushing Marrone Mimetico on top of the yellow splotches ... :frantic: 

Ciao

PS: 1/72??? If you're not mad, you're soon to become so, if you attempt that! :D

• Like 2

Hello giemme,

Mr Tiger informed me of this build - thank you, Tony :). The c.202 and especially c.205 are particular favourites of mine, and have both kits in the collection. Sorry to have missed mosf this build, so back to the beginning to see what I have missed. Looking forward the the squiggles and/or circles :).

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- looking on with interest, too.

• Like 2

On 26/02/2017 at 10:19, keefr22 said:

I'm even later than you again Simon, has the kettle boiled yet? I've brought the biscuits this time...!!

Should be fun again, looking forward to  seeing these two come together Giorgio!

Keith

I'm so late that I'm in a different suburb, and not even sure if it's the same city. Better late than never, though - can the teapot be squeezed?

A.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlexN said:

Hello giemme,

Mr Tiger informed me of this build - thank you, Tony :). The c.202 and especially c.205 are particular favourites of mine, and have both kits in the collection. Sorry to have missed mosf this build, so back to the beginning to see what I have missed. Looking forward the the squiggles and/or circles :).

Cheers,

Alex. :sheep: <-- looking on with interest, too.

Cheers Alex, welcome on board! :thumbsup: You're not that late, you know: we're only at page 19, and for my builds, this is like I've just started :winkgrin:  :D 

You'll have to wait quite some time for the C205 camouflage though, since I want to get the C202 almost completely sorted before :shrug::)

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Jealous ... ive been wanting both kits for sometime. I know the 202's been re-issued by Hasegawa. And im thinking Italeri re-issued it as the 205 recently. I will follow as im a fan of the type. 

Dennis

Cheers Dennis, thanks for joining too! :thumbsup: I was lucky enough to get both kits out of a fellow BM member that had them for sale a couple of years ago - at a very decent price too. Eduard also reissued the Hasegawa C202, with the usual addiction of many interesting features - if you are into those kind of things. And yes, Italeri definitely reissued the C205:

http://www.italeri.com/scheda.asp?idProdotto=2587&idCategoria=1&idSottocategoria=2

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1

So last night I decided to bite the bullet, and started spraying the Bruno Mimetico (I previously referred to this color as Marrone Mimetico, but Bruno Mimetico should really be the right name) splotches on top of the Giallo Mimetico ones.

While checking on Internet for a color sample, I found that Italeri Flat Medium Brown is a very close match for it, and I happened to have it in my paint range; so I tried with a very thinned mix of this paint and IPA, at 0.6 bars, and I think it kinda worked:

dav

dav

dav

dav

dav

dav

I actually started airbrushing from the elevators and then moved to the main airframe, and got a very good flow control throughout more or less two thirds of the job; then I should have really stopped, cleaned the airbrush and restarted, but I was eager to complete the task and had some paint squiggling around, so I'll have to do some touch ups (it's clearly visible on the wings).

I must add that I sprayed the splotches, both for Yellow and Brown, removing the needle protection from my airbrush (only the front part, not the whole block) and spraying very close to the model surface - even more so with Brown, since it was a thinner mix and I got better flow control. One other thing is that I used a q-tip moistened in IPA to clean out the needle point each and every two/three sprayed splotches.

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 15

Lovely job, the tailplanes in particular look great ! I see what you mean with the not so good splotches on the wings, this is one of the problems with acrylic paints, after a while it's good to stop and clean everything. I'm sure you'll be able to do all the touch-ups but I know how frustrating it is when something is going great and then things get worse... in any case, your method clearly works very well !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Lovely job, the tailplanes in particular look great ! I see what you mean with the not so good splotches on the wings, this is one of the problems with acrylic paints, after a while it's good to stop and clean everything. I'm sure you'll be able to do all the touch-ups but I know how frustrating it is when something is going great and then things get worse... in any case, your method clearly works very well !

Thanks G! :thumbsup: I was really getting frustrated towards the end of the spraying sessions; actually, right after completing it and taking the above shots, I had already started doing some touch-ups by brush, and they seemed to be quite effective. It was late in the night though, so I thought I'd better stop and resume today with a fresh mind (and eyesight! )

4 hours ago, AlexN said:

Nice!

Cheers Alex, thanks! :thumbsup:  I'm actually pretty pleased the way it turned out, because I was seriously worried I could have screwed it all ... :analintruder: 

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice paint work, great control of the airbrush.

Cleaning the needle with thinner soaked Q-Tip is always very hand..

Especially, when doing complex jobs.

Simon.

Agreed 100%, thank Simon :thumbsup: 

Ciao

• Like 2

Hello giemme,

I really enjoy the painting, and I'm a bit jealous since my painting skills are barely basic.

Very nice job, congratulations :yes:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello giemme,

I really enjoy the painting, and I'm a bit jealous since my painting skills are barely basic.

Very nice job, congratulations :yes:

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Cheers CC, thank you :thumbsup:  As regards painting skills, I'm just slightly above basic, so you don't need to be jealous - practice it's all it takes :winkgrin: 

51 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Great work on the camo paintwork and I'm sure you'll be able tidy up the problem bits. Very nice. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you Stix, glad you like it! :thumbsup: Touch-ups to be done with an hairy stick, so shouldn't take too long :winkgrin: 

Ciao

• Like 1

On 6/28/2017 at 9:22 AM, TonyTiger66 said:

I now  think of him more as Salvadoro Daliorgio after he

started spraying the Bruno Mimetico (I previously referred to this color as Marrone Mimetico, but Bruno Mimetico should really be the right name) splotches on top of the Giallo Mimetico ones.

Whew!!!

Great job!! :penguin:

Geno 

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 3

Yes i really do like the planes and your choice of camouflage. I think the colors work. Especially if you consider that those aircraft were stationed/deployed in a very hot sunny climate (mediterranean and north africa). I think any colors that seem "off" could and should be attributed to not only factory or depot painting. But also climactic changes due to the local environment. Again i say :D keep up the good work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gene K said:

I now  think of him more as Salvadoro Daliorgio after he

Whew!!!

Great job!! :penguin:

Geno 

Now that's probably too much ... :D  :D  :D Thanks Gene! :thumbsup: 

Geno??? :mental:  :D 

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes i really do like the planes and your choice of camouflage. I think the colors work. Especially if you consider that those aircraft were stationed/deployed in a very hot sunny climate (mediterranean and north africa). I think any colors that seem "off" could and should be attributed to not only factory or depot painting. But also climactic changes due to the local environment. Again i say :D keep up the good work.

Dennis, I couldn't agree more :thumbsup: 

3 hours ago, rob85 said:

That is some inspirational paint work mate! Looking very nice indeed.

Rob

Cheers Rob, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Nice work G...!! :thumbsup:

K

Thanks Keith! :thumbsup: 

5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wow, that's some fancy paintwork Giorgio, I'm definitely learning some good info from this one!

Thanks Cookie :thumbsup:  - I must confess I'm learning as I go, too ... :winkgrin:  

Ciao

• Like 2

Hi everybody; 

WE progress report, although I didn't have much time for modelling.

Unmasking the bottom surfaces

dav

Some minor touch ups to do. Radiator, both sides

dav

dav

Tailplanes - just a tad of overspray

dav

I did some of the touch ups (on the splotches too) - some other I will do later. I then airbrushed a protective Future coat on the model

dav

dav

Then I started masking for the white surfaces; since I intend to use as less decals as possible, I photocopied the Savoia Crosses ant taped them to some Orimask masking tape, and carefully cut them out

dav

The idea is to use only the central portion of the cross decal. Here's a shot from the spraying booth

dav

I first airbrushed a mix of Tamiya Sky Grey and Flat white to get a good coverage, then I went over it with Tamiya Flat White.

Here she is, after unmasking 

dav

Again, a few touch ups to do

dav

dav

I fixed them carefully scraping with a pointy toothpick, but I'm going to add some green drybrushing later, after another Future coat

dav

dav

dav

dav

I also airbrushed Tamiya Flat White on the front part of the propeller blades

dav

and only on the tip for he back sides - this will be the undercoat for yellow

dav

Spinner plate and cone got painted too

dav

Any comments welcome

Ciao