The Macchi's! "Folgore" and "Veltro" in 1/48, Hasegawa plastic - COMPLETED! Page 42

giemme

Quick Friday update, everybody.

Working on the central seam in the cowling area

dav

I had to do some filling with CA glue there, and used the tape to protect the surrounding areas from the glue and the consequent sanding. After a first sanding and polishing session, I brush painted some Vallejo Grey Primer on the seam:

dav

The picture isn't very clear, unfortunately, but this showed more filling to be done on a few small segments, so I had to do a second masking/filling/sanding/polishing session, this time adding some talc to the CA to speed up the process.

After that, some rescribing was needed, and then I glued on the windshield:

dav

On the real aircraft, the windshield frame sits slightly proud of the fuselage; in the kit, most of this frame is moulded in the fuselage plastic, meaning that the clear part should be flush with it. The kit windshield, instead, is slightly smaller than said framing, so I had to glue it in place with small CA gel glue drops and keeping it pressed down as if squeezing it out to the right width. I left this to cure overnight, then I'll run some Tamiya Green Cap capillary along the clear part edges, to ensure a stronger bond.

dav

The back fuselage top seam was also sanded smooth (no particular trouble there) and, since this specific airframe sports the early style antenna, I glued in a mounting peg coming from a spare propeller blade of a 1/32 Spitfire kit to fill in the antenna mast mounting hole:

dav

This was glued using Tamiya Green Cap and left to cure overnight as well, prior to cutting out and sanding smooth (tonight, hopefully). Once done, I'll mask the cockpit and start working on the bottom seam.

Back to the C205 rear bulkhead, I decided to use the vacformed curved part, and glued it to the PE:

dav

A dryfit with cockpit and fuselage halves showed (just like on the C202) that I had to adjust the seat position a bit (no pics, sorry, but they would have been absolutely identical to the C202 ones).

Here it is:

dav

The C205 control stick was also glued in place - note the four firing cables for the wing and nose guns, as opposed to the only two on the C202

dav

Now I still have to do some dryfit of the C205 IP with the fuselage halves, than I'll be ready to button them up too.

Comments welcome, as usual

Ciao

• Like 15

6 hours ago, matteo44 said:

Great Job !

Grazie Matteo! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Well, I'm glad you added the proper number of firing cables from each control stick! Unbelievable Giorgio, lovely detail.

Cheers Cookie, thanks! :thumbsup: The firing cables are the only addition I felt had to be done on the otherwise gorgeous SBS sets

3 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Nice to see seams get busted too, never to bother us modelers again.

If only! :frantic: You'll get new ones each and every build :chair:  :winkgrin::D 

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice update Giemme.

The office on the 205 looks great, detail a plenty.

Thanks Simon, I'm pretty pleased with it too :thumbsup: 

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

And it all seams right as well.

:rofl::winkgrin: 

Ciao

• Like 1

On 6/5/2017 at 22:40, keefr22 said:

Lovely work again Giorgio, those 'pits really are stunning and your paintwork has really made them come alive!

Keith

Thanks Keith :thumbsup: More on the cockpit to follow, see below.

Hi everybody, here's WE progress report:

catching up with the C205, here's a dryfit of the tub on the sidewalls

dav

dav

and of the IP (without tub)

dav

dav

In this case there was no interference with the fuselage sidewalls - the two kits must be slightly different; yesterday I was dry fitting the C202 wings to their fuselage, and erroneously did it on the C205 one: quite a gap at the wing to fuselage joins! When I realized my mistake and got the correct fuselage, the pairing showed a snug fit ... :hmmm: 

Anyways: here are the IP and tub in place (in this shot, the IP is actually super-glued in place, while the tub is held there with a blob of blue tack underneath; as I did on the C202, I will put a few drops of CA glue to secure it only after I've joined the fuselage halves; reason is that is way I have a little margin to play with when mating the two halves)

dav

dav

dav

those pics count as RFI shots for the C205 cockpit, so here's one for starboard side

dav

And eventually:

dav

As usual, I glued per sections and let cure overnight each section. Here's a quick dryfit of the canopy and windshield (the canopy, as for the C202, will be posed open; here it's closed just to check the level of transparency)

dav

I did polish the clear part with the specific Dremel tool, just like I did for the C202, then masked the windshield:

dav

and repeated the rear view mirror procedure just like for the C202

dav

Then started working on the top front seam

dav

Still curing, I'll tackle it one of next evenings. You have probably noticed form the last pic that I knocked off the gun sight reflector screen ... :chair: I was luckily able to recover it, I'll glue it back just before fitting the windshield :frantic: 

Back to the C202.

I masked the cockpit and completed the job on filling the antenna mast mounting hole

dav

then I decided to reuse the aerial connection point on the spine, which needs to be relocated for the early style antenna

dav

I shaved it off with a razor blade and, looking at reference pics, relocated it slightly further on the fuselage hump

dav

I drilled out the front vent

dav

and then started working on the bottom seam: some CA used as filler

dav

after some scraping/sanding/polishing:

dav

and the brushed on primer coat shows it's OK

dav

Last thing: using razor saws and a blade I separated the top and bottom part of the rudder from the tail fin

dav

because all the reference pictures of this area show very noticeable gaps in those areas; see for example:

Macchi_C202_Folgore_112511.jpg

That's it for the day, comments welcome as ever

Ciao

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Leonl said:

I'm still amazed at the cockpit, brilliant!

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Yes, these cockpits alone make a WIP thread worthwhile, they'll be too covered to properly enjoy when it comes time for RFI.

Thanks guys, glad you like them :thumbsup:  Cookie you're right about that, very few remains to be seen of the cockpits now - still I know they are there! :coolio::D

Ciao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Yes, these cockpits alone make a WIP thread worthwhile, they'll be too covered to properly enjoy when it comes time for RFI.

Yes, I thought the same. Would have been unique if Giorgio had build TWO cockpits: the masterpiece already built as a separate model, and a simplified version inside the cockpit (of course The Master would not find that acceptable :worry: ... at all).  Would make an interesting display to have the cockpit model sitting along side the aircraft model, I think. 

Gene K

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gene K said:

Yes, I thought the same. Would have been unique if Giorgio had build TWO cockpits: the masterpiece already built as a separate model, and a simplified version inside the cockpit (of course The Master would not find that acceptable :worry: ... at all).  Would make an interesting display to have the cockpit model sitting along side the aircraft model, I think. 

Gene K

That would make for four cockpits ... :frantic::frantic: No, thank you! :D

Besides, as you say, it doesn't feel right to leave the cockpit outside the airframe. Still, your idea of putting it alongside the model is making me thinking ... not the real cockpit but ... :hmmm:

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Another excellent update Giorgio, really enjoying watching these two taking shape!

Keith

18 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I must agree with everyone else. Those pits are stunning! Really rather in awe. :thumbsup: the prep work too is second to none.  Brilliant stuff.

Johnny.

Sorry guys, I missed your posts while replying to Gene's :sorry:

Thank you for the appreciation, you're always very kind :thumbsup:

Johnny, plenty of prep work still to do on both models, you won't get bored :winkgrin::D

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi everybody;

mid-week update, in case anybody had withdrawal symptoms :coolio:  :D 

top front seam on the C205 looks good:

dav

So i re-attached the gunsight reflector screen with a drop of CA gel

dav

dav

dav

and glued in, again with CA gel, the windshield

dav

dav

Just like I did on the C202, I had to gently press on the top of it while the glue was setting, so that the bottom curved edges would line up flush with the moulded frame.

Here's a shot of the two in their current state

dav

Back on the C202, I did a dry fit of the tail wheel and its fairings 

dav

which showed some interference with the scissor links. The fairings themselves are a pretty bad fit:

dav

dav

dav

Some TLC required here. That's going to be tonight's task. :boxing: 

Comments welcome, as ever

Ciao

• Like 9

Closing the fuselage halves is always an important step, good job on those seams and the canopy ! Not great to see those mould lines on the tailwheel fairings though. Ok, it's not a difficult job but it's not the kind of quality we have come to expect from Hasegawa.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Closing the fuselage halves is always an important step, good job on those seams and the canopy ! Not great to see those mould lines on the tailwheel fairings though. Ok, it's not a difficult job but it's not the kind of quality we have come to expect from Hasegawa.

Cheers G, thanks! :thumbsup:  I agree those fairings are a bit of a set back in terms of quality; I think this is largely due to the choice of using one mould for so many different versions of this aircraft.

Speaking of those fairings, I'll shameless take advantage of your knowledge and ask you if you have any reference pics of that area, as I can't determine if there are any panel lines where they meet the fuselage or if they are flush ... my search on Internet so far has been unsuccessful :banghead: 

Ciao

Hello Giemme,

Veeeery nice job on these 2 ladies !

I really enjoyed it.

Eager to see the painting, Italian camo are not the easiest, I'm curious about it.

Thank for sharing the nice job.

Corsaircorp.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Giemme,

Veeeery nice job on these 2 ladies !

I really enjoyed it.

Eager to see the painting, Italian camo are not the easiest, I'm curious about it.

Thank for sharing the nice job.

Corsaircorp.

Cheers Corsaircorp, thank you! :thumbsup: 

As for the paint job, I'm already thinking of finding a suitable paint mule to test the two different procedures I have in mind for the C202, and the dreaded C205 smoke rings camouflage, of course!! :frantic: 

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Lovely work Giemme.

The "pits" look fantastic, as ever.

As posted earlier, zipping up the fuselage is always a nice moment.

Looking forward to more.

Simon.

Thanks Simon! :thumbsup: Yes, buttoning up the fuselage halves made me feel like I was really progressing :D :D

Ciao

• Like 1

Smoke rings !!

OOOOkay !! Curiosity sparked a lot !

It's the kind of thing that I even not dare to try !

I have a 1/48 Fiat Falco for my BoB serie, Sometimes I take it, open the box, look at the decal sheet and..

Put it back in my stock, and it is one of the "simplistic" camo, no vermicelle or smoke ring :blink:

Brave man, I'll keep following !

Nice job with the interior, I really enjoyed !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Just for the fun of it,

Do you know this caricature ??

I really like the author, Mr Jean Barbaud a french artist.

WP_20170511_00_55_21_Pro

:rofl:

The text say, "so Ciao italian sauce with roasted meat will be for another day"

I really like that book 8

Have a nice day and take care.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

It's good to see them closed up and side by side.

Indeed! :thumbsup:  Thanks Cookie.

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Smoke rings !!

OOOOkay !! Curiosity sparked a lot !

It's the kind of thing that I even not dare to try !

I have a 1/48 Fiat Falco for my BoB serie, Sometimes I take it, open the box, look at the decal sheet and..

Put it back in my stock, and it is one of the "simplistic" camo, no vermicelle or smoke ring :blink:

Brave man, I'll keep following !

Will see how it goes; I'll practice it on a C202 I did a few years ago which I don't mind sacrificing now. :coolio: 

Nice comic there, I didn't know about it :D (BTW: je parle Français aussi, quoi même merci pour la traduction :) )

Ciao

• Like 1