Matchbox kits...

Andre B

33 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

1982 was a good year to be 12 :) , though to be fair I was 11 for most of it.

We stayed in Knapton two years on the trot back then. There was a little gift shop on Mundesley seafront that always had a few Matchbox kits in stock. I bought the Walrus one year, and the Fw-190 the other. I spent the holiday repeatedly dry fitting the parts as I had to wait until we went home before I could build them. It was a great year to be 12 (I turned 13 in the October). 82 and 83 are two years I remember really clearly for some reason. I took my own family back there on holiday a few years ago. The gift shop is still there, but no Matchbox kits in stock sadly!

I must build the Matchbox Walrus and Fw 190 again. I've got them in the stash...time to re-visit my youth!

Steve

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

I turned 13 in the October

That must make me almost exactly a year younger than you as my birthday is in October too.

We used to holiday in and around Weymouth and we always used to find a model shop, though unlike you I could never wait with the kits and bought glue and would spend any wet days (it is England in summer after all) getting them stuck together.

Craig.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

That must make me almost exactly a year younger than you as my birthday is in October too.

We used to holiday in and around Weymouth and we always used to find a model shop, though unlike you I could never wait with the kits and bought glue and would spend any wet days (it is England in summer after all) getting them stuck together.

Craig.

Superb stuff! My birthday is October 8th. I don't know why I never thought of taking glue with me, and the shop didn't sell it, so I had to wait. I always got a cool present while on Holiday, either a model kit or some other cool toy. I remember clearly a very wet caravan holiday in Walton on the Naze where I got a Britains Hughes Model 269 helicopter (the US Army version) and was chuffed to bits. Not only that, but I bagged a couple of Action Jacks as well. I must have been a spoilt brat! lol

Steve

• Like 2

On 6/28/2019 at 8:35 PM, Julien said:

I always wanted to do a Skyservant

If you google Hibaldstow airfield pictures there is one, maybe two Skyservants in regular use for skydiving.

That's if you fancy a different paint scheme.

Pete

9 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

My birthday is October 8th

Mine is the 27th.

I don't think we were spoiled, we were obviously very well behaved children that were justifiably rewarded for our outstanding behaviour :) .

I always came back with new editions of Commando comics.

Mine is the 27th.

I don't think we were spoiled, we were obviously very well behaved children that were justifiably rewarded for our outstanding behaviour :) .

I always came back with new editions of Commando comics.

Absolutely! Absolute angels I'm sure! Yes! I forgot the Commando comics....and the obligatory War Picture Library holiday special! I still have all this stuff. Must grow up some day!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

If you google Hibaldstow airfield pictures there is one, maybe two Skyservants in regular use for skydiving.

That's if you fancy a different paint scheme.

Pete

Cheers, but I want to do the German scheme in the box.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Absolutely! Absolute angels I'm sure! Yes! I forgot the Commando comics....and the obligatory War Picture Library holiday special! I still have all this stuff. Must grow up some day!

I wish I still had mine as I was made to give all of mine to my cousins along with my models and they didn't appreciate any of them and they all ended up up trashed and binned :( .

I did get to relive it with my son though, and he still has all of his.

• Like 2

I wish I still had mine as I was made to give all of mine to my cousins along with my models and they didn't appreciate any of them and they all ended up up trashed and binned :( .

I did get to relive it with my son though, and he still has all of his.

That's a shame. It would have been nice to have been able to keep some of it. A lot of my stuff, kits included, is a mix of stuff I kept and stuff I've re-bought over the years. Couldn't resist revisiting my youth and eBay certainly didn't help either. So the man cave is full of old kits, toys, books magazines and music cassettes.....I still have the boom box I got for my 13th birthday in 1982. A Sharp GF-6060 that cost my folks a princely £104 back then. I don't know how they did it as money was always tight....but I appreciated it then, and still do. Pop on over! We'll stick a few Matchbox kits together, read a few Commando comics or Warlord and listen to Now 1 on cassette.

Steve

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

. Pop on over! We'll stick a few Matchbox kits together, read a few Commando comics or Warlord and listen to Now 1 on cassette.

Steve

Sounds like a plan Steve!

I do still have all my Warlord annuals, think I have a couple of Battle ones too, and a copy of Out Now on cassette!

Craig.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Sounds like a plan Steve!

I do still have all my Warlord annuals, think I have a couple of Battle ones too, and a copy of Out Now on cassette!

Craig.

Superb! In that case, I'll get the toy soldiers out of my cabinet too for a bit of carpet battlefield action!  

39032345400_da4238d2db_c.jpgIMG_9166

(Apologies for going waaaaaaay off topic!)

Steve

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Commando and Warlord comics? What a blast from the past! I still have a stack of those hidden away. 

I remember going on a family camping holiday as a youngster and finding a Matchbox Boston/Havoc kit in a seaside gift shop. Imagine being stuck in a tent, no modelling gear available, exploring every inch of that lovely multi coloured mass of plastic. It felt like an eternity till we got home and I could make a start.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really should build one of my Heyfords, I have a boxed and an unboxed one, time for the unboxed to be built up this winter, Also a Stranraer, funnily enough I was at Hendon this Thursday booking a classroom for our September visit with the Students. 

Seeing the Stranraer took me back to 1982, The Heyford was my first proper attempt at adding stringers and ribs internally, seat belts and scratch building the Scarf mountings for the Lewis guns, finally robbing better Lewis guns off my RAF Air Sea Rescue launch as to my teenage eyes they were better defined. I used stretched sprue to rig it and my best ever attempt with the hairy stick. Gave it away when I joined up in 84. Kind of regret that one.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2019 at 22:36, fightersweep said:

Superb! In that case, I'll get the toy soldiers out of my cabinet too for a bit of carpet battlefield action!  

39032345400_da4238d2db_c.jpgIMG_9166

(Apologies for going waaaaaaay off topic!)

Steve

Wow.

I had that rocket firing Hanomag and the Airfix Patton tank. The soldiers look like Britains?

45 minutes ago, John_W said:

Wow.

I had that rocket firing Hanomag and the Airfix Patton tank. The soldiers look like Britains?

The Hanomag is well cool! I've got boxed and un boxed examples. The un boxed one is an oddity as it's missing all the spring firing mechanisms, and going by the construction, they got missed out at the factory. The soldiers are Britains with a Britains Jeep in the background. I loved those as a kid. There's a lone "Tommy" amongst the G.I.s, so I guess he must be "D Day Dawson" (remember him?). There's loads more 1970s military toys in the cabinet. Happy to post some more photos, but I guess it should be in a separate thread.

Steve

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I had the jeep, but a girl at school bit the end off the 0.5 Browning, never liked her after that!

She should have been expelled for that alone!! I got mine in a playground swap for a bunch of 1979 Panini football stickers. My Pat Jennings and Brian Talbot didn't stand a chance against a Britains Jeep! 🤣

• Haha 1