Matchbox kits...

Andre B

53 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

To be fair, my memories of the kit go back 30 years or more. Just remember it being a breeze to put together, and had no idea of the accuracy of the kit. I can't imagine why the Zero would be any rarer than any of the other Matchbox kits, but I know I sold one on eBay over 10 years ago and got £26 for it. I was mildly surprised to say the least!

Best regards;
Steve

It does seem to be quite rare and IIRC appeared in two different Matchbox boxes with different artwork, both by Roy Huxley. Maybe the production runs were shorter than for other kits or it just got built more! The value is perhaps to collectors wanting to complete a collection of Matchbox kits and reflects its scarcity. 

Regards

Nick

30 minutes ago, old thumper said:

Couldn't agree more and what is there not to like about the Green Hornet. This is one I built some years ago, I would like to build another at some point only this time with re-etched panel lines and a browner shade of o/d against the green camouflage. A French glass nosed version is also tempting.

33831174276_52e8db8723_k.jpg

Concerning the Zero, tapered cowlings were unfortunately a bit of common fault with Matchbox kits. I have a Matchbox Zero in my stash that I picked up from a show for about a fiver, unfortunately I later discovered that it is missing it's canopy so I will have to organise a replacement when the time comes to build it.

It's a terrible cliché I know, but the Matchbox looks like an A-20 to me and has bags of nostalgia with that box art and scheme. I always think that the MPM/SH has a ginormous looking fin and rudder which seems wrong but have never checked it against plans.

Nick

I've actually got an acute urge to buy that A-20 again. Had it back in the 80's and remember not being able to chose which version to build!

I've also got a question about the Walrus kit. I've had and seen a boxing with the original Matchbox logo and the early 80's boxing with the tri-colour flash, but I've never seen the Walrus in the mid/late 70's boxing with the rounded off logo. Did it ever appear in that style of box, because I've never seen one. I almost found the same with the Fw-190. Seen loads in the early boxes and loads in the 80's boxes...but the mid 70's boxings are quite hard to find. Well, it took me long enough to find one!

Best regards;

Steve 

I can't think of many of the Matchbox kits that really warrant rereleasing these days.  Off the top of me head:

HS 125

Tempest II/VI

Hawker Fury 

AW Siskin

Fairey Seafox

HP Hereford

Walrus

Do 18

He 115

BAC Lightning T55

Provost

• Like 2

Among the Matchbox tapered cowling we can add the Beaufighter's, not as bad as the Zero's but still noticeable together with the step before the collector ring.

The A-20 cowlings on the other hand were not tapered but are much larger in diameter than they should be. In the end 1/72 modellers have to choose between a less accurate but easy build (Matchbox) and a more accurate (but not perfect) very fiddly build (MPM). And for other variants there's of course the option of a quite accurate but very hard build in the Hi-Planes kit. That such an important aircraft has not been treated with a good modern mainstream kit in 72 scale is one of the mysteries of modelling...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Really today I can't see how a modeller may prefer this one over the very nice and cheap Airfix kit

I think it may be the difference between what you want to build vs. what you want to build, if you see what I mean.

• 10 months later...
On 23-2-2017 at 12:08 PM, tempestfan said:

The ones I'd consider (regardless of what Revell has already re-released over the years:

Mirage IIIC

Twin Otter

The Mirage IIIC may be a bit of a problem, as it was retooled to a Mirage IIIB (of which I would like a repop too).

The recent two reboxes of the Twin Otter by Revell are still everywhere, though.

I agree with most of your list.

Edited by ivand

I don‘t think the C fuselage has been physically converted into the B - it has been claimed for a lot of kits (e.g. in the SMI review for the Monogram F-5F in ca. 1990 - different manufacturer, I know), but usually manufacturers make a duplicate mould or a replacement mould insert. Matchbox IIRC reissued their Harrier 1 after the 3, also the standard trainer Hawk.

... but hindsight is always 20/20, they say 😉 The only manufacturer who actually seems to have done this was Airfix in the Palitoy era. Of course I can’t say for sure re the Mirage, but as Matchbox seems to have been smarter...

Edited by tempestfan

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/04/2017 at 1:17 PM, The Wooksta! said:

I can't think of many of the Matchbox kits that really warrant rereleasing these days.  Off the top of me head:

HS 125

Tempest II/VI

Hawker Fury 

AW Siskin

Fairey Seafox

HP Hereford

Walrus

Do 18

He 115

BAC Lightning T55

Provost

Not many then... 😉

I did the F101 Voodoo two -seater last year, just because I like Voodoo's.

I can't recommend it.. apart from the novelty of doing a matchbox kit, it just doesn't stack up against the Revell version.

Having said that, I do have a Frog single seat PR to tackle one day, so Matchbox may still take the Silver.

It was a challenge to do, though.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be😃

Interesting question. ;

A W Siskin

Fairey Seafox

H P Heyford

Supermarine Stranraer

Consolidated Privateer

Vickers Wellesley

Dornier DO-18

Heinkel HE-70

Most are still not too difficult to get hold of second hand anyway

Allan

• Like 1

Hello Allan

Actually, some of the kits on your list are still available in retail stores around here (He 70, Do 18 Stranraer, Privateer with a bit of luck) under Revell brand. Heyford could still be occasionally found until a year or so ago. Of course second hand stuff is even more readily available, usually at lower price. Cheers

Jure

There was something about the original Matchbox kits that made them joyous to own and build, despite swearing my way through their Privateer kit.

The Siskin was my favourite to build, and still have one or two.

Seeing mention of their cars, I remember getting their Auto Union for Christmas and that felt a real treat to open and build.

Edited by 71chally

Well, engraved trench-like panel lines are over the top on some kits. Still, even if its sagging is exaggerated fabric usually looks superb. Norseman that glatisant mentioned is a perfect example of such a kit. Built one original Matchbox (white-yellow float plane colour scheme) decades ago but still have another one, along with several Revell repacks, in my stash. Cheers

Jure